Playstation 5

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Uh so make it 499? I mean it's what most people are expecting anyway... In fact I'd rather pay 5-600 for a machine that's not going to grossly show it's age within 3 years of launch. And at least give us the specs of the damn thing.
didn't sony get ass raped by everywhere when they said ps3 is 500, get a second job pleb

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
didn't sony get ass raped by everywhere when they said ps3 is 500, get a second job pleb

They did but I think this is a different time. I think in 2020 500 is more palatable. Frankly I wouldn't mind 600 if it meant a smoother running system.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Aye. and consider that this will be the first generation to have to stand up against a strong PC gaming market. There will be a price point that turns people away from the "consoles are far cheaper than PC's" considerations.

• 1Like

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
They did but I think this is a different time. I think in 2020 500 is more palatable. Frankly I wouldn't mind 600 if it meant a smoother running system.
naw i don't think they can do, families will NOT accept it imo.

at least in my experience, (cuz i'm the tech guy) the families i talk to with teenagers, all the kids have their OWN ps4. if they want to play COD or whatever together they have to log in to ps live in different rooms and say whats up!, and now you expect these families to plunk down 1 grand for 2 ps5's?

it's not about breaking the $500 threshold, it's that 2 of em will be $1,000 and that $1,000 threshold is crazy.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
At the point you're paying $600 for a console, plus games for $50+, you should really just be PC gaming.

Edit: I'll caveat that with the one exception of doing a ton of split screen gaming on the couch with others.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
At the point you're paying $600 for a console, plus games for $50+, you should really just be PC gaming.

Edit: I'll caveat that with the one exception of doing a ton of split screen gaming on the couch with others.

Microsoft clearly doesn't care anymore what you play on as long as you pay them $10-15/mo for a sub, Sony is starting to get there with recent rumors of PC ports of Horizon Zero Dawn and Dreams. Still, when I think of my top 10 games of the last decade, most are Sony exclusives so yeah I'll be a PS5 buy day one.

- Last Of Us
- Breath of The Wild (maybe, playing now)
- Uncharted 1-4
- Bloodborne
- GTA 5
- God of War
- Spiderman
- Mass Effect 2
- Witcher 3

Most are PS4 exclusives right now, be interesting to see how 2020-2030 plays out. Either way paying out a few bucks for a console that lasts 5-7 years is no big deal, as I feel the icy claws of death creep up on me I'd rather spend my limited gaming time playing the absolute best game I can over saving $500.

Also lets you delay upgrading PC a year or two while PC tech stabilizes out, I'm not sure anymore whether Cyberpunk 2077 will be best on a 2080ti PC (3000?) or an xbox X2.

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
Are they still gonna do the Pro version of the system shit? If so, I'll wait for that before I buy one and buy up all the exclusives in their definitive forms for half the price.

• 1Solidarity

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

A $600 pc isn’t all that great and doesn’t have the PlayStation exclusives. I mean it would probably be a fine machine for gaming but if you’re looking at dollar for dollar I’d probably still just go with the Playstation, a pc rig should cost 2-3x that if you’re a real pc gamer.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
It may not have the playstation exclusives (yet) but it has far more non-console exclusives. Not to mention that value-wise you unlock a huge number of F2P games, and piracy if that's your thing. Plus, you can actually play FPS games without a crippling handicap.

The value argument for consoles just doesn't carry as much weight as it used to.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I think we can all just agree it’s best to just be old and have money and have both.

• 6Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
^ Preemptive silly post to pad the retarded question I'm about to ask.

Is the PS5 going to be backwards compatible through all generations? Because... this needs to happen.

iannis

Musty Nester
I might lazily sit when I pee, but I make up for it by walking while I poop.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

spronk

FPS noob

Is the PS5 going to be backwards compatible through all generations? Because... this needs to happen.

thats the rumor but we won't really know until Sony officially announces the PS5 and gives all the technical deets and price. Everyone was hoping it was gonna be in February but that seems unlikely at this point

• 1Solidarity

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
A $600 pc isn’t all that great and doesn’t have the PlayStation exclusives. I mean it would probably be a fine machine for gaming but if you’re looking at dollar for dollar I’d probably still just go with the Playstation, a pc rig should cost 2-3x that if you’re a real pc gamer.
By the time you factor in spending less on games (and having a massive library available), you can build a pretty damn good computer for under a grand these days, and you always have the ability to upgrade. Upgrading even gets cheaper, because you don't need to rebuy things like case, monitor, mouse and keyboard, etc.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>

We don't know for sure yet AFAIK. Ps3 is unlikely due to the cell processor.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

Not fully within the device itself. They’ve stated almost all ps4 games will be compatible. Gen 1-3 I believe will be done with the cloud streaming style, and not all games exist in that space.