Playstation 5

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
agreed

Going to get a Xbox as well but play on PC too.

What’s the point of that? Aren’t they so cross compatible now that you can just buy one or the other? I haven’t xboxed at all this generation so I may be way off, just stuff I have read it seemed like you didn’t need both and it didn’t matter which one you had nowadays.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
What’s the point of that? Aren’t they so cross compatible now that you can just buy one or the other? I haven’t xboxed at all this generation so I may be way off, just stuff I have read it seemed like you didn’t need both and it didn’t matter which one you had nowadays.

I mean same could be said for ps in a few years. Just like having them all. Plus some exclusives on Xbox come out before PC.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I mean same could be said for ps in a few years. Just like having them all. Plus some exclusives on Xbox come out before PC.

Cool. I’m all for that, I hope they all start integrating and allowing everyone to play together across systems too. The more options the better.

• 1Like

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Cool. I’m all for that, I hope they all start integrating and allowing everyone to play together across systems too. The more options the better.

Yeah it’d be nice just to hop on PC and play all at the same time.
Another thing to note is a lot of times shit has consolitis on Xbox PC ( and I’m sure soon PS5) and I’d rather not mess with that until it’s patched.

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
Not fully within the device itself. They’ve stated almost all ps4 games will be compatible. Gen 1-3 I believe will be done with the cloud streaming style, and not all games exist in that space.
It goes without saying I know dickall about tech stuff and what is possible/impossible with disc reading and such but yeah... it would be utterly amazing to simply pop in ANY disc to a console and just start playing. THIS I assume though is impossible, right gang? Because the black discs from the 90s have some mumbo jumbo copyright read-only mess attached to it, yes? And probably other stuff I have no clue about....

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
By the time you factor in spending less on games (and having a massive library available), you can build a pretty damn good computer for under a grand these days, and you always have the ability to upgrade. Upgrading even gets cheaper, because you don't need to rebuy things like case, monitor, mouse and keyboard, etc.
You really don’t spend less on games, at least not to any significant degree. It isn’t 2010 anymore.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
It probably wouldn't be too difficult to read any of the discs, but the Ps3 used an entirely different architecture, and they would need to have a CPU that could work with it in the box, or emulate it which isn't feasible.

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
Did the sony/microsoft ditch their ideas of making a main console with upgrades over time?
It's been years since I owned a console. Just got tired of buying essentially a new PC every few years.

• 1GreNeg

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Yes. The only company pursuing such a design right now that I know of is Razer which is doing a custom pc case designed to work with modular expansions.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
You really don’t spend less on games, at least not to any significant degree. It isn’t 2010 anymore.
I can count on one hand the number of PC games I've spent $50 on in the past 5 years. I'll give you there are things like Xbox game pass now, but you really can't tell me PC gamers spend more on games than console gamers.

• 1Solidarity

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
It goes without saying I know dickall about tech stuff and what is possible/impossible with disc reading and such but yeah... it would be utterly amazing to simply pop in ANY disc to a console and just start playing. THIS I assume though is impossible, right gang? Because the black discs from the 90s have some mumbo jumbo copyright read-only mess attached to it, yes? And probably other stuff I have no clue about....

There are tons of differences.
  • Things in the 90s were running 16 (or 8-bit) programs, which now need to be emulated (albeit the computational cost of doing so is mostly trivial these days).
  • Most modern consoles are running the x86 CPU architecture, which is what PCs are on, but older systems run RISC architectures (relatives of the ARM processors you see mostly in mobile phones). This also requires emulation. In the case of the PS3 which used an architecture called Cell, the differences are so pronounced that any kind of emulation causes a huge performance disadvantage. Even now, RPCS3 (PS3 emulator for PC) can cause a 50% performance hit.
  • Discs require different lasers. Some systems (Nintendo's) run proprietary disc sizes (GameCube) or run in reverse direction (Wii).

The closest thing that we'll ever have to a universal console is a PC decked out with multiple types of console emulators.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I can count on one hand the number of PC games I've spent $50 on in the past 5 years. I'll give you there are things like Xbox game pass now, but you really can't tell me PC gamers spend more on games than console gamers.
I haven’t spent over $50 on a console game in the past 5 years either. There’s pretty much always someone with a given game marked down at some point before release. As an example

Plus I could sell or trade in later if I wanted. It’s just not the same as it used to be, but even then you could get the Best Buy GCU and never pay over $48 (RIP GCU). Retailers also do sales like buy 2 get 1 free all the time. Hell, older 1st party games for PlayStation go ultra cheap, with games like god of war for $5 and HZD with the DLC for like $3

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
There are tons of differences.
  • Things in the 90s were running 16 (or 8-bit) programs, which now need to be emulated (albeit the computational cost of doing so is mostly trivial these days).
  • Most modern consoles are running the x86 CPU architecture, which is what PCs are on, but older systems run RISC architectures (relatives of the ARM processors you see mostly in mobile phones). This also requires emulation. In the case of the PS3 which used an architecture called Cell, the differences are so pronounced that any kind of emulation causes a huge performance disadvantage. Even now, RPCS3 (PS3 emulator for PC) can cause a 50% performance hit.
  • Discs require different lasers. Some systems (Nintendo's) run proprietary disc sizes (GameCube) or run in reverse direction (Wii).

The closest thing that we'll ever have to a universal console is a PC decked out with multiple types of console emulators.
Thanks Sleeve; good explanation. All I know is that I have a shitton of old games laying around that need some love; They're rotting because I lack a good console for them and I heard the rumor about PS5 backwards compatibility and it got my little hopes up!

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
499 dollars (if that will be the price) translates into 499 euros which means chains will sell it for 599 euros over here and I'll be better off buying it from fucking amazon and make bezos some change to throw at his new tranny lover.
Sad thing is that it will be cheaper to become a console fag than to upgrade my rig which I estimate would set me back around 2.5k (without peripherals)

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Thanks Sleeve; good explanation. All I know is that I have a shitton of old games laying around that need some love; They're rotting because I lack a good console for them and I heard the rumor about PS5 backwards compatibility and it got my little hopes up!

You can buy a ps1 or 2 pretty cheapie you really wanted to. P3, I just wouldn’t. I play my ps2 every couple years or so, never really break out my ps1. Haven’t broke out my ps3 since the pa4 released.

I put a pi with A ps1 emulator with every ps1 game on it and it’s pretty cool but I rarely play it, a lot of those games just aged so poorly. You could put an emulator on your pc and see if you ever play the stuff before you buy used.

It would be cool to have a console that would do it all but it’ll never happen outside of emulation, for all the reasons Sleeve mentioned. There isn’t enough demand to make any money off of it outside of the emulation route like Xbox does.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
My biggest concern is that we'll end up with another Pro vs. X situation. I would like to just have a PS5 and my PC, but I think there's a pretty good chance that MS will try to make up for having no exclusives worth mentioning by having a SKU that's more powerful than the PS5. Personally I prefer to play anything that doesn't massively benefit from M/K and/or ultrawide on my console(s), and right now that means I play most multiplats on X1X even though I still hate the controller.

Plus, having ~2 years of Gamepass left when the new Xbox comes out is going to make it hard to resist if MS keeps up the quality of releases there.

spronk

FPS noob
i think a 2-3 year console cycle is pretty much inevitable at this point, if money is an issue the best thing is to go PC, switch, and maaaaaaaaybe PS4 (PS5) although you could probably just PSNow that bitch one month a year and get 99% of what you want.

If money isn't an issue then its really not an issue owning everything, and upgrading every 2 years - i bought a PS4 at launch, spent $60 at gamestop to upgrade to PS4 Pro v1 2 years later, then another $50 to upgrade to PS4 Pro v2 another year later. The cost of these systems and gamepass and PS+ and all that other bullshit is less than a hospital visit copay and its a million times less expensive than banging a random slut and having your wife serve you with divorce papers. PSVR titties > stripper RL titties when youre 50

• 1Worf

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
The cost of these systems and gamepass and PS+ and all that other bullshit is a million times less expensive than banging a random slut and having your wife serve you with divorce papers. PSVR titties > stripper RL titties when youre 50

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

The worst were those PS2-era purple discs that wouldn't even play on a lot of PS2s, or ran poorly at best. Wtf even were those? Ruined RPG Maker 2 for me.