Playstation 5

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
As bad as the E3 stuff was last year, seeing the retarded SJW Ms. Marvel in yet another game was the final straw for me.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Izo

Tranny Chaser
I sure hope I get to buy all the 5 dollar lego games at full retail price once more. Yeeeehaaaah.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
So you can save the money for two fast food combos by permanently neutering your system to not have the option to install from a disc.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
That's a grossly misleading title. The $20 is the cost to produce sans a drive, and disregards all the rest.

Considering all of the above and that players are likely to purchase 3-4 games for the PlayStation 5, Digital Foundry believes that Sony can sell the PlayStation 5 All Digital up to $50 USD cheaper than its disc reader counterpart.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
While I generally just buy digital, I'd still buy the disc one in case I buy some special edition shit or whatever, just seems pointless to save 50bucks on what probably will cost ~500$ anyway.

For most people who do play consoles a lot and resell their games, they'll cover the added cost with like 2 games(which they might buy at launch too), so it's essentially pointless but I guess it doesn't cost them anything to make these.

Malakriss

Simple economics, the resale value of the digital-only console itself will have a wider gap than $20. If you eventually want to trade-in for the 5.5 or the 5 slim or to sell before a 6 comes out it's still a bad choice.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Curious to how the SSD size will be handled now, rumors were saying 825GB and another with 1TB. So maybe just a 825 GB now?

Araxen

Not having a disc drive means not having to worry about it freaking failing. The launch PS4 drives were asstastic.

Edit: Now that I think about, Sony launch consoles having crap disc drives goes all the way back to the PSX. The CD drives would eventually causing skipping and cause problems loading games.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Not having a disc drive means not having to worry about it freaking failing. The launch PS4 drives were asstastic.

Edit: Now that I think about, Sony launch consoles having crap disc drives goes all the way back to the PSX. The CD drives would eventually causing skipping and cause problems loading games.
I mean if it fails it’s just the same as the pSAD edition. I’ve never had a ps disc drive fully fail yet, but my ps4 before I got the pro was starting to get a disc feed issue where the feed mechanism wasn’t nearly as strong as it needed to be so you had to push the disc in a little bit to start it.

And keep in mind if you want to play any ps4 discs you have already you won’t be able to with the digital version

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
Curious to how the SSD size will be handled now, rumors were saying 825GB and another with 1TB. So maybe just a 825 GB now?

the rumors were one model with a 825GB SSD and another with a 1.65TB SSD. It might be the disc version comes with the smaller size and the digital comes with the bigger drive, but we really don't know anything yet other than there are two different models at release and one comes with a 4K UHD drive and one does not.

Everything PS5-only must play from the internal SSD, PS4 games can play from external USB drives.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Hard to believe that for $20 or 50 more you can double the storage and get a blue ray player. At that price why would anyone ever not buy the disk version. If it is just 1 drive size hopefully it's the 1.65

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I just hope it's a hell of a lot faster than the PS4 drive. Even with PSN not being anywhere near the speed of Steam, I can still download a game faster than I can copy it off a disc.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I just hope it's a hell of a lot faster than the PS4 drive. Even with PSN not being anywhere near the speed of Steam, I can still download a game faster than I can copy it off a disc.
If you have good internet that's just not going to be the case, disks can only spin so fast.

As for the storage discussion I'll go for the cheap one personally, I have several SSDs in my PC and while they're somewhat filled, I have several steam games installed in advance in case I run into internet issues more than for convenience. Personally I only play one game at a time, very rarely 2, and I don't need shit I'm not playing to be installed, I just uninstall everything once I'm done playing unless I know I'll be returning to it at some point in the near-ish future and even then I only do that because I have the room for it, I don't mind uninstalling them. Fast internet means re-installing takes like 10mins at most, generally less(but PSN isn't Steam so probably ~15mins), and I can just go read patch notes or research the game or whatever while I wait for it to install. So realistically, I'd only need about 250gb, so 850 is more than enough. Worst case I'll just plug in a shitty HDD in the USB port and transfer files there and use that for storage. USB 3.0 is fast enough that it's not too much of a hassle anymore.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I mean, if I'm going to buy a PS5 anyway, I don't see why I need to save a measly $50, I'll just buy the version with the disc player and be done with it. Are people really going to be sweating $50 that much that they'll opt for the discounted digital only version? Seems like Sony will spend more money on making two different versions of the PS5 than they will get back in sales...

Lenas

Trump's Staff
The only discs I have for my PS4 are VR titles I had to buy physical for sales. Everything else is digital. Discs can fuck right off, and the PS5 with the drive looks so much worse than without. I'd get the digital one even if the price were the same.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>

My release PSX, PS2, PS3 fat, and PS4 Pro are all still running without any issues.

4 XBox 360s bricked, and I have an Xbox one that I got for free on release and I've never touched. Should have just sold it.

joz123

Potato del Grande
All my PS systems still run but my PSX I have to put the disc in then play the system upside down for it to read the disc.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users