Playstation 5

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
If they opt not to make it backward compatible, there would be no good reason other than laziness or greed. I understand why PS4 wasn't backward compatible with 3, because the PS3 ran Cell architecture whereas PS4 was x86, so likely the only way they'd be able to make it work would have been by plopping down a Cell CPU in the PS4. Both PS4 and PS5 are x86 based, so there are no architectural limitations.

Agree, and Sony's been there before (removing PS2 BC from PS3 'because there are enough games on PS3 now'). They've got PS Now they're pushing a bit harder, which could influence development decisions as they watch competition come online this fall that'll probably be more successful out of the gate than their service ever has been.

You'd hope this would be one of the things that would be a little more definite at this point, granted we're a year out.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I started to dive into it a little bit, but after a few minutes I can clearly see that it's going to get over my head in technical jargon and I would spend hours looking at definitions and referring back to definitions in order to understand the concept and definition at the same time.

But .. Im just curious, can they just not run an emulator type of system like Blue Stacks that will emulate the cell architecture inside of the X86-64 sytem? I'm guessing this is also why we're starting to see cross platform pop up so much more frequently the last few years, too.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I started to dive into it a little bit, but after a few minutes I can clearly see that it's going to get over my head in technical jargon and I would spend hours looking at definitions and referring back to definitions in order to understand the concept and definition at the same time.

But .. Im just curious, can they just not run an emulator type of system like Blue Stacks that will emulate the cell architecture inside of the X86-64 sytem? I'm guessing this is also why we're starting to see cross platform pop up so much more frequently the last few years, too.
wasn't that what ps3 had at launch? like faux backwards compat?

spronk

FPS noob
Is thing going to have a 4 k player?

yes, PS5 confirmed already to have a 4k UHD player. The new data format for games is also multilayer UHD supporting up to 100GB discs (UHD is 55 gigs i believe).

theyve also said they aim to make the PS5 fully backwards compatible with PS4, they are probably just hedging their bets for the weird edge cases - the games that depend on move controllers or specific elements of the DS4 they haven't fully nailed down for DS5. I'm sure any game any of us play will work just fine, its just those goofy party games or maybe a few PSVR games that may end up not working, or maybe there is a game that depends on the speaker in the DS4 (i'm sure all of that stuff will eventually work too).

Microsoft has also said they fully intend 100% BC, they haven't talked about optical drives yet though but i assume they'll ship with the same kind of high density UHD drive.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I bet the backwards compatibility will be strangely missing till summer/fall 2021 but plenty of PS4 games from 2020 will be available now for PS5!!!

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Agree, and Sony's been there before (removing PS2 BC from PS3 'because there are enough games on PS3 now'). They've got PS Now they're pushing a bit harder, which could influence development decisions as they watch competition come online this fall that'll probably be more successful out of the gate than their service ever has been.

You'd hope this would be one of the things that would be a little more definite at this point, granted we're a year out.

I'm not putting words in their mouths and sometimes Sony just does some stupid as fuck things (Cross play being the most recent example), but I mean PS Now will always have a market because they had 3 full generations of games on hard to emulate systems. AND it definitely could serve as a great "rental" platform like Netflix. Oh hey this month we have TLoU 3 or GoW2022 for people who may want to try it but not go all in. I definitely think since they are on a more universal platform like x86 that it should be like iOS/Android devices. The PS5 is the most potent system out there, runs the same OS though so it's completely seemless. It's just games on the PS5 will obviously look better than on the PS4 Pro which will look better than one ones for the base PS4. Then obviously at some point the base PS4 will just stop being supported and not take on new versions of the system software etc. It might be wishful thinking but having it be fully and seamlessly BC will really boost early adoption.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I'm not putting words in their mouths and sometimes Sony just does some stupid as fuck things (Cross play being the most recent example), but I mean PS Now will always have a market because they had 3 full generations of games on hard to emulate systems. AND it definitely could serve as a great "rental" platform like Netflix. Oh hey this month we have TLoU 3 or GoW2022 for people who may want to try it but not go all in. I definitely think since they are on a more universal platform like x86 that it should be like iOS/Android devices. The PS5 is the most potent system out there, runs the same OS though so it's completely seemless. It's just games on the PS5 will obviously look better than on the PS4 Pro which will look better than one ones for the base PS4. Then obviously at some point the base PS4 will just stop being supported and not take on new versions of the system software etc. It might be wishful thinking but having it be fully and seamlessly BC will really boost early adoption.

That's pretty much Microsoft's strategy (forward and backward compatibility with more frequent hardware revisions), we haven't seen Sony really lay out similar ambitions yet but it would be nice if they did.

• 1Like

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm

The PS4 has no CD-ROM capability and can't read your PS1 discs which is why that doesn't happen. Original PS3 launched with both of the PS2 chips to play those games with the proper hardware but that got phased out and the PS3 didn't have the processing power to 100% software emulate PS2. PS3 is a totally different architecture so trying to emulate that on the PS4 was going to be too costly and likely wouldn't have the power to do it anyways. That only leaves the "Why can't PS4 do PS2 games?" question which the lazy answer is if you're not going to have 1 or 3 why bother with 2, let companies peddle remakes and remasters for $$$.

The PS5 will likely have the processing power to clobber PS1+PS2 software emulation and PS4 games should be compatible anyways so that really only leaves PS3 as the pain in the ass one to do.

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
wasn't that what ps3 had at launch? like faux backwards compat?

The first-generation (CECHA) "fat" models of PS3 literally had an Emotion Engine (PS2 CPU) inside in addition to its own Cell CPU to play PS2 games. Unfortunately, this was a) expensive [five hundred ninety-nine US dollars meme here] and b) made the PS3 run very hot. The temperature, coupled with the cheap eco-friendly solder that Sony was using, led to a lot of problems (the YLOD or Yellow Light of Death.)

The middle generation fat models (CECHE) performed emulation, but this was buggy and not all games worked. Then they dropped PS2 support once the slim and super slim models came around.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah I wouldn’t worry about being able to process ps1 and 2 games. I saw some dude made a console with a burner phone processor that is capable of that.

I run a full ps1 emulator on the ps1 classic I got for $20 new, and a USB stick with zero lag or crashes.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
What're the chances that we can pick up a new style controller that doesn't have a microphone? Will the DS4 work with it?

• 1Solidarity

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
someone is gonna need another PS1 soon

vdornniduss31.jpg

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
What're the chances that we can pick up a new style controller that doesn't have a microphone? Will the DS4 work with it?

Probably not, as far as the microphone part. It costs more money to manufacture two different versions, stock two SKUs, etc. Personally I could do without the mic or touchpad.

Would be nice if the DS4 still works with it. I rarely need a second controller now, but my son is getting close to gaming age. Hopefully it doesn’t cost $80 for a DS5.

• 1Like

Siliconemelons

I am down for a PS5 and PSVR2... I will say and would like to buy it all on release... but I wont.

I have an aversion to paying MSRP - so I will wait for it to be on some form of sale before I buy it... and I really do not play much :-(

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
It's a given that I'm getting it. It will be on the day a game is out that I really want on it though, whether that's day 1 or later I don't know yet.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
Day 1 for me would require a Fromsoft exclusive. Bought the PS4 for Bloodborne and I don't think I had another title for it for over a year. Whenever Nier or HZD came out. Can't remember the order.

• 1Truth!