Playstation 5

spronk

FPS noob
B&H photo will be selling PS5 disc and digital in ~3 hours from now, 515pm PDT / 815pm EDT. i think there will be better opportunities but if you are desperate

• 1Barf
Reactions: 1 user

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
B&H photo will be selling PS5 disc and digital in ~3 hours from now, 515pm PDT / 815pm EDT. i think there will be better opportunities but if you are desperate

The real question is do they start selling 3080s at the same time.

Also, what's the reason to think they're going to start selling PS5s immediately after reopening?

Izo

Tranny Chaser
I don't have a dog.
giphy.gif

How’d you know it was meant for you?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Is there a downside to going digital edition only? I mean 100 difference seems substantial.
If you ever want to buy a limited edition or whatever then you'd be fucked, if you like selling your games, if Sony decides to ban your account and such, the usual. It's not really a big deal in most cases just something to remember. Biggest point I think would be buying games during physical sales versus only digital sales. Physical are often discounted harder for less popular games or if they're pretty old, while digital kinda stays the same for a lot longer. Like you'll find a 3 years old game on Amazon for 5$ but the same game caps at 20$ during sales and such.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Is there a downside to going digital edition only? I mean 100 difference seems substantial.

No used or borrowed games. No b1g1 sales, etc. No Blu-ray if you care about that. And if Sony ever stops hosting a game it’s gone. That’s not likely but it could I guess.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Doesn't even look like they launched anything, the rumor was enough to crush their business.

Happy Rosh Hashanah Bagel Eaters.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Got scared a bit ago. Checked the ol' bank account and noticed my charge from WalMart was gone and got scared they canceled my preorder. Went to check and it's still there so must just be a weekend thing with the bank I guess.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Got scared a bit ago. Checked the ol' bank account and noticed my charge from WalMart was gone and got scared they canceled my preorder. Went to check and it's still there so must just be a weekend thing with the bank I guess.
Walmart shouldn't actually charge you until it ships. I used an AMEX and it just did the usual temp authorization hold to make sure the card was valid/had enough credit line available/etc. Temp holds disappear after a few days.

One thing I didn't see others mention is that if you have any physical discs on PS4, not only do you need the drive to play them via BC, but also if the studio is doing the free next gen upgrade thing on PS5 you need the PS4 disc in the console to play the PS5 version that you download.

• 1Like

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Walmart shouldn't actually charge you until it ships. I used an AMEX and it just did the usual temp authorization hold to make sure the card was valid/had enough credit line available/etc. Temp holds disappear after a few days.

One thing I didn't see others mention is that if you have any physical discs on PS4, not only do you need the drive to play them via BC, but also if the studio is doing the free next gen upgrade thing on PS5 you need the PS4 disc in the console to play the PS5 version that you download.
Guess I'm getting disc drive.

spronk

FPS noob

There's really no reason though to own PS4 games on disc, literally every PS4 game has gone on sale digitally for 75% if its over six months old. My PS4 digital library is absolutely massive, and new games I want I just wishlist and when they drop 75% i'll usually buy them.

The PS5 digital has a smaller form factor which is nice. Sony is losing more money on each one though so they are making a lot less, numbers seem to play out to 1 PS5 digital for every 4 or 5 disc PS5s made.

It will suck if there is a fantastic b2g1 kinda deal at a store you miss out on, digital stores pretty much never do a B2G1 sale. Still, I haven't really bought a single physical game for ps4 or xbox this year, really been no need between gamepass, EGS, and digital storefront sales. I still buy em on switch because that runs games off the cart and has a near zero footprint on memory card, which is nice for SP games.

I've got both PS5-D and PS5 preordered and still not sure which I'll keep. slightly smaller is nice, and I doubt i'll play any disc games. Don't care about movies, don't buy them physical anymore.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
I like physical games, since I give away 9/10 games after finishing them.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Digital Vs Disc is a subjective choice. There isn't a right or wrong answer for either.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Digital Vs Disc is a subjective choice. There isn't a right or wrong answer for either.
Yep, and that's why there's no way I'd even consider buying the disc-less model. My PS4 library started out 100% physical except for games that were digital only, but now is skewed about 60/40 still in favor of physical,. That's counting PS+ games that replaced physical versions I already owned, and not counting Gamefly (which would push it back to more like 80/20). Only had X1X for less than a year, so that's almost entirely digital aside from Gamefly again. With $70 games becoming the norm, that makes being able to play physical discs even more important imo.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I don't go through enough games in general to care about b1g1's or sales most of the time. Digital is objectively the better looking of the two options. My choice is clear.

• 1Like

Szlia

And if Sony ever stops hosting a game it’s gone. That’s not likely but it could I guess.
There are famous examples of digital games that became unavailable like P.T. or Scott Pilgrim vs The World. Has it ever been the case for games that were also available in physical format ?