Playstation 5

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Well Edith Finch was different for sure. I like these kind of games though, wish it was a bit longer. But that was a great recommendation.
The Vanishing of Ethan Carter is like Edith. It’s very good but only 2-4 hours.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

spronk

FPS noob
I have three weeks til my ps+ sub would renew so it was only $4 to upgrade it. Trying out Returnal, it’s pretty fun. The atmosphere is cool. Is this one I’ll get to keep or does it go away once this sun runs out?

they go away when you unsub, but will come back if you resub

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
He once tried to tell me I was going to hell for marrying a Psychic. It took about 2 hours to explain my ex-wife is a Psychologist, not a psychic. :rolleyes:

I do not remember that one. But looks like I was right you shouldn't marry her if she is now an ex wife!

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Isn't Soma super scary? I got a weak old heart that can't take jump scares.

It's not SUPER bad with the jump scares although there are one or two. It's the story though you would really like - reminded me of a twilight zone twist. :)

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Do you guys with a PS5 and LG OLED mess with any of the game optimization settings? I just started playing God of War Ragnarok and for some reason started looking at, I guess maybe this is the first game that wants me to check between optimizing frame rate and optimizing quality. I don't even know which of these to pick!

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Do you guys with a PS5 and LG OLED mess with any of the game optimization settings? I just started playing God of War Ragnarok and for some reason started looking at, I guess maybe this is the first game that wants me to check between optimizing frame rate and optimizing quality. I don't even know which of these to pick!
Personally I go for performance every time. The games that have the option still look amazing in performance mode so I don’t notice the quality dip. The frame rate dip when in quality mode though is very noticeable.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Yeah I am always performance as well. The Frame Rate dip is very noticable while the game looks great anyway.

• 1Like

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Frame rate - its already A+ beautiful - no need for A++ if you need to sacrifice playability

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

spronk

FPS noob
i play quality mode for an hour and then always switch to prefer frame rate, need the extra frames to make up for my old ass

i trust asian guys to tell me what the optimal system settings are

• 4Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 5 users

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Witcher 3 Next Gen update is another one to check out. The performance mode is remarkable.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

I'll go against the grain a bit and say that quality mode sometimes trumps frame rate mode, depending on the game. Most of the time frame rate mode is better, but I've seen situations where the light effects / reflections (ray-tracing?) were much nicer in quality mode. Swinging lanterns in Demon's Souls, or being able to see Spider-Man's reflection in building winows in Miles Morales, are good examples. Things that kinda wowed me and felt truly next-gen, and were only in quality mode. However 30 FPS feels like a big downgrade to me at this point (funny cause pre-PS5 I didn't care at all about FPS). So I guess it depends on the game.

If quality mode is like, 50 FPS and has sweet ray-tracing, go with that. If quality mode has like 30 FPS and framerate mode looks almost as good, go with framerate.

I tried 120 FPS in Nioh Remastered and I don't really see any advantage over 60 FPS so I guess I'm back to not being able to register the difference. First time I remember really registering the difference between 30 and 60 is when, during my initial Fromsoft binge in 2015, I went from Bloodborne to Scholar of the First Sin. SOTFS was so insanely smooth and flowing. I think it was 1080/60. The choice is even worse in Nioh because I'm flipping between quality/framerate plus 120 FPS mode trying to figure out what I like. I wish they also specified the exact resolution/framerate to help figure that out. Like 4k/45 for quality, 1440p/60 for framerate, 1080/120 for 120. Just guessing at those, I guess 1800p exists but I never see it anywhere.

I just hope PS6 / PS5 Pro / later-gen PS5 advances the tech enough that this stops being a choice and every game is just 4k/60 with ray-tracing stuff. Cause flipping between them with "grass is greener" syndrome is a problem for me.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
thanks all, I'll see what asian guy says too
asian guy is competing w/
e0a45bb02888838bf9fdb1ebb4f9cfc5.png

ShakyJake

<Donor>
I'll go against the grain a bit and say that quality mode sometimes trumps frame rate mode, depending on the game. Most of the time frame rate mode is better, but I've seen situations where the light effects / reflections (ray-tracing?) were much nicer in quality mode.
Maybe it's just me, but this shit pisses me off. I do not want to see graphical quality settings on a console. All games should be targeting at a minimum 45FPS. If your game can't do that with all the fancy features turned on, then don't use them. I don't give a fuck about ray tracing if I'm presented with a 30FPS slideshow.

Also, does anyone else find the PS5 controller's analog sticks really uncomfortable? They are killing my thumb. I never had this problem with the PS3/4.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Maybe it's just me, but this shit pisses me off. I do not want to see graphical quality settings on a console. All games should be targeting at a minimum 45FPS. If your game can't do that with all the fancy features turned on, then don't use them. I don't give a fuck about ray tracing if I'm presented with a 30FPS slideshow.

Also, does anyone else find the PS5 controller's analog sticks really uncomfortable? They are killing my thumb. I never had this problem with the PS3/4.
I don’t think they’re too bad, but I haven’t had any super long sessions with them. There are cheap rubber caps you can buy that make them more comfortable, I used them on my ps4 sticks when I’d play for a long stretch and they worked fine.