Politics, civility, and you!

chthonic-anemos

bitchute.com/video/EvyOjOORbg5l/
I don't think we have any BLM members on this forum.
I'm sure we have a few people that buy t-shirts or change their facebook picture for solidarity and awareness. But yeah I doubt that we have any professional hooligans, arsonists, or :emoji_nose:financiers:emoji_nose:.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I'm sure we have a few people that buy t-shirts or change their facebook picture for solidarity and awareness. But yeah I doubt that we have any professional hooligans, arsonists, or :emoji_nose:financiers:emoji_nose:.

When I was a teenager, from the confines of my desk in my suburban home, I kind of thought it was cool how the Black Bloc didn't really believe in anything except trashing public property. That is the full extent of my radicalism, I'm afraid.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Stuck in a SCIF for two days and @a_skeleton_03 comes out of the closet with this gay shit?

I feel this thread is missing your tagline... in a way.

75532368.jpg

• 6Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 7 users

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The politics thread is therapeutic for me. No matter what any of us believe in we can just get it out without any fear to our families or lively hood. We are also gaming culture so we are used to being called nasty shit and calling people nasty shit. I have no doubt 99% of us if met in real life no matter what side of the argument we are on would have a great time just sitting down and having a beer. This is not the case in the real world. People are losing their fucking minds over this shit and if you say anything remotely out of line it could cost you.

So even though a_skeleton_03 and the rest of you are a bunch of faggots, you're my faggots.

• 6Like
  • 5Solidarity
Reactions: 10 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I sometimes ponder what the point of these boards are since I spend so much time on them. I used to get into the debating more, but after a while it's just the same old shit with the same old people over and over. People hammering current events to fit their worldview and other people hammering them to fit the opposite. I do learn things by reading this stuff, but it's usually from articles linked. Sometimes someone actually posts something interesting, but it's not often and if it's in a wall of text I probably won't read it. I think for most of the actual debaters it's about winning an argument more than actually discussing ideas and that's why it always devolves into name-calling eventually. There's a pretty good amount of comedy, even if half of it is probably people parroting something they saw on reddit, but I enjoy that. It's also pretty much how I get my news along with facebook and podcasts. If I was the man I want to be, I would only post if I had something helpful or funny to say, but I still occasionally fall into a retarded debate (see yesterday in the football thread) which is always a waste of time.

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
I sometimes ponder what the point of these boards are since I spend so much time on them. I used to get into the debating more, but after a while it's just the same old shit with the same old people over and over. People hammering current events to fit their worldview and other people hammering them to fit the opposite. I do learn things by reading this stuff, but it's usually from articles linked. Sometimes someone actually posts something interesting, but it's not often and if it's in a wall of text I probably won't read it. I think for most of the actual debaters it's about winning an argument more than actually discussing ideas and that's why it always devolves into name-calling eventually. There's a pretty good amount of comedy, even if half of it is probably people parroting something they saw on reddit, but I enjoy that. It's also pretty much how I get my news along with facebook and podcasts. If I was the man I want to be, I would only post if I had something helpful or funny to say, but I still occasionally fall into a retarded debate (see yesterday in the football thread) which is always a waste of time.

I disagree.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
In terms of politics discussion there sadly isn't much better than this forum, and believe me I've looked.

politicalforum.com is good, but too dry, slow moving and pretentious.

Debate Politics Forums is more detailed, but people are incredibly
entrenched in their positions and it's more about "how can I make this event pro-my side" like they are all talking heads on Crossfire instead of cognoscenti discussing the world.

predictit.org used to be good (like intrade was) and have the absolute latest information, but now the site is all memes and pumping. Nobody tries to use group think to hone in on truth, 80% of what you see is jokes or misguidance or joking misguidance.

What this community mostly suffers from is the lack of good opposition, and there's a huge barrier if you're opposition. During 2008-2012 Obama years we had no credible right wing people. Now we don't have any credible left wing people, and most of the liberals are pro-Trump. The anti-Trump people are not only budget-class posters, but are barraged by all kinds of venom when they arrive. It's difficult to say, "I don't like Trump" here without demands for you to defend everything HRC has ever done.

We'll have posters that are fairly smart and anti-Trump, but they aren't well versed to the issues and bring up misconceptions that have been annihilated multiple times, then get BTFO and lose the motivation to stay in the ring and keep arguing once they learn the ropes.

However, unlike a lot of pro-Trump communities, you have a lot of people that don't really buy the hype behind Trump while still liking him, and are fairly critical of a lot of moves he makes while still overall looking forward to what he does.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I hate this forum, but I'm a masochist so I keep coming back.

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Like

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Our politics thread isn't perfect, but it's the best discussion you're going to find on the internet i think. It's a great mix of fun shitposting and generally well informed, sourced opinions. I feel it's the most honest discussion you can find, evidenced by the fact that people that I called conservatards 4 yrs ago are now on the same side of the argument.

When we compare our little bubble to the rest of the internet, especially social media, you have to remember that we are all grizzled veterans of flame wars. We were doing this shit when most of these twitter idiots were still sucking on their Mommy's titties.

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Our politics thread isn't perfect, but it's the best discussion you're going to find on the internet i think. It's a great mix of fun shitposting and generally well informed, sourced opinions. I feel it's the most honest discussion you can find, evidenced by the fact that people that I called conservatards 4 yrs ago are now on the same side of the argument.

When we compare our little bubble to the rest of the internet, especially social media, you have to remember that we are all grizzled veterans of flame wars. We were doing this shit when most of these twitter idiots were still sucking on their Mommy's titties.
Only on ReRe can you find a man sporting a Steve Zissou avatar supporting Trump and the scientific method.

• 2Like
  • 2Solidarity

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I find it most useful to argue thoughtfully and in depth only with people I know and usually only in one on one settings. Anything more seems to quickly devolve into wanting to win the argument instead of having a genuine discussion. I don't expect the internet to change much, though.

• 1Like

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Let's all discuss politics using our IRL facebook profiles and see how many times we resort to calling someone a faggot.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Let's all discuss politics using our IRL facebook profiles and see how many times we resort to calling someone a faggot.
You see I thought about that but then I realized I do that sometimes with my live friends. Sure it is tongue in cheek but we banter back and forth not too much different than online.

Sure we don't drop any ":emoji_fork_knife_plate::emoji_poop::emoji_coffin::emoji_gay_pride_flag:" without following that up with an actual argument but we don't wear kid gloves either.

• 1Like

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
You see I thought about that but then I realized I do that sometimes with my live friends. Sure it is tongue in cheek but we banter back and forth not too much different than online.

Sure we don't drop any ":emoji_fork_knife_plate::emoji_poop::emoji_coffin::emoji_gay_pride_flag:" without following that up with an actual argument but we don't wear kid gloves either.
You don't use that with your friends? Sounds like you need to :emoji_fork_knife_plate::emoji_poop::emoji_coffin::emoji_gay_pride_flag:

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I have no doubt 99% of us if met in real life no matter what side of the argument we are on would have a great time just sitting down and having a beer.

This is almost certainly true.

Except Tuco would order too much food and booze and then bounce on the check while in the bathroom, and Tanoomba is a faggot no matter the proximity.

• 1Salty
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I've had a lot of fun the few times I've met people in this community IRL.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I've never met anyone from this board but I've met EQ people IRL quite a few times and it was always a good time.

• 1Like