Pope Benedict XVI resigns

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It was in the news for a while, but the impression I got was that it was a compulsory thing, it isn't like he was gassing jews himself.
We didn't even have Germans do the gassing, we forced Ukranian volunteers to do that for us. Certainly not German minors. And because of that, shamefully the last man to stand trial for nazi crimes wasn't even German.

Here's hoping they elect a leftist pope next!
unlikely, the cardinals doing the voting are the same old fashioned conservatives that voted Ratzinger into the honors. They'll take just another die hard zero progression fundamentalist.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
The truth is that the child sex scandals are much more discussed and prominent in the US and among non-Catholics than within the church itself. People in the US hear 'pope retiring' and immediately their mind turns to sex scandals, but Catholics and Romans think, "Oh is the next pope going to shit on this doctrine or take us out of that doctrine or promote this bishop to cardinal blah blah blah'.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
unlikely, the cardinals doing the voting are the same old fashioned conservatives that voted Ratzinger into the honors. They'll take just another die hard zero progression fundamentalist.
There was talk of when Ratzinger was elected that the next pope would be hispanic, we'll see I guess

That's been the problem with the church since around I believe 1150 AD, when pope URBAN II made the college of cardinals he turned it into a good old boys club.

That was also around the time when Malachy made his apolalytic predictions

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
They also speculate the next Pope could be black. Most catholics in the world are in Africa and the southern hemisphere in general these days...

It almost certainly won't be a white guy... or a woman.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
It was in the news for a while, but the impression I got was that it was a compulsory thing, it isn't like he was gassing jews himself.
He was a 14 year old, conscripted into Hitler Jugend. He had nothing to do with the camps.

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
There's plenty of other awful shit to lay at the feet of the current Pope without having to pull the Hitler Youth card.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
He was a 14 year old, conscripted into Hitler Jugend. He had nothing to do with the camps.
Jesus it was a joke bro. You spend too much time slaying nerds and not enough time making fun of ridiculous shit like a picture of the pope wearing a Hitler youth uniform.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Big deal. Facebook has a billion people too.

Cybsled

Christianity is bleeding subs! It's because they are trying to make changes to appeal to casuals while driving the hardcore Inquisition Zealots away!!!!

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Mental gymnastics? In my religion?

rrr_img_12889.jpg

agripa

Molten Core Raider
A Pope has not resigned since the great papal schism which was 600 years ago. Kind of puts things in perspective on how big this is for the catholic church. Popes don't resign. I imagine this has more to do with the Vatican being the go to money launderer for the mafia. Or it has to do with the intrigue surrounding the popes butler, this was the guy who stole a bunch of documents from the Vatican.http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...89609T20121007

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
He began with statements that pissed off the Islamic world, he alienated women with hard core anti-abortion messages, and has been involved in ongoing investigations into the Church and its business dealings. There's a book out that I forget the name of that details some of the problems but the long and the short of it is that he brought the church to the right and has been steadily losing influence in the first world for the Church and as such he has been criticized by more progressive forces in the faith.
There was a lot of speculation when he was chosen that he was essentially to put the brakes on some of the things John Paul II put in motion, giving the Church time to assess the direction it was moving, but without being around long enough to start influencing that direction himself. After all, at 78, Pope Benedict was one of the oldest popes elected in several hundred years. The oldest pope elected in the 20th century was 76, and he only reigned for 4 years (most other popes in the 19th century were in their mid-60s). I doubt they were really expecting Benedict to be around as long as he has been.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Christianity is bleeding subs! It's because they are trying to make changes to appeal to casuals while driving the hardcore Inquisition Zealots away!!!!
Once they nerfed masturbating, I was out.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
Big deal. Facebook has a billion people too.
When Facebook becomes the worlds largest landholder, the worlds largest holder of gold, and maybe obscure that fact that it's the worlds richest organization, all while convincing every single government on the planet that they don't have to pay taxes you let me know ok?

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Maybe Facebook is already all of those things and you just haven't discovered it yet!

Dun dun duuunnnnnnn!!!