Pope Benedict XVI resigns

spronk

FPS noob
the pope life is pretty sweet

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...y_active_popes

Pope John XII (955-963) was accused by his adversaries of adultery and incest. Some sources report that he was rumored to have died 8 days after being stricken by paralysis while in the act of adultery, others that he was killed by the jealous husband while in the act of committing adultery.

Pope Benedict IX (1044, again in 1045 and finally 1047-1048). He was accused by Bishop Benno of Piacenza of "many vile adulteries." Pope Victor III referred in his third book of Dialogues to "his rapes... and other unspeakable acts." His life prompted St. Peter Damian to write an extended treatise against sex in general, and homosexuality in particular. In his Liber Gomorrhianus, Damian accused Benedict IX of routine sodomy and bestiality and sponsoring orgies. In May 1045, Benedict IX resigned his office to pursue marriage.

Pope Paul II (1464-1471) is popularly alleged to have died due to indigestion arising from eating melon in excess, though a rumour was spread by the pontiff's detractors that he died while engaging in sodomy.

Pope Sixtus IV (1471-1484) was alleged to have awarded gifts and benefices to court favourites in return for sexual favours. Giovanni Sclafenato was created a cardinal by Sixtus IV for "ingenuousness, loyalty,...and his other gifts of soul and body", according to the papal epitaph on his tomb.

Pope Alexander VI (January 1, 1431 - August 18, 1503), born Rodrigo Borja (Italian: Rodrigo Borgia), Pope from 1492 to 1503), is the most controversial of the Popes of the Renaissance, whose surname became a byword for low standards in the papacy of that era.

A career highlight was the 1501 "Joust of the Whores," when 50 dancers were invited to slowly strip around the pope's table. Alexander and his family gleefully threw chestnuts on the floor, forcing the women to grovel around their feet like swine; they then offered prizes of fine clothes and jewelry for the man who could fornicate with the most women. Alexander's other hobbies included watching horses copulate, which would make him "laugh fit to bust." After his death - quite possibly poisoned by his pathological son, Cesar Borgia - this pope's body was expelled from the basilica of Saint Peter as too evil to be buried in sacred soil.
I can't wait for season 3 of The Borgias on Showtime. Titties and Popes.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
that's not debatable, the church is the worlds largest landholder, It doesn't pay taxes on it's land. it is the largest reservoir of gold.

There is this notion that the church is this weak entity it's not. 100 years ago it was a common perception that the church was the worlds most powerful organization (temporal power) this viewpoint has kinda gone away but the reality of it hasn't

http://www.cai.org/bible-studies/vatican-billions

Whether or not you believe in a religion you still have to study it to understand it, and because religions are massively powerful entities that control not only wealth but major influence on the minds of billions of people It is kinda unavoidable that to understand the world you have to understand something like the history of Catholicism, or Islam or bhuddism ect.

bleedat

Molten Core Raider
LoL i love the 20 hipsters that post here acting like the Catholic church has no power and are irrelevant. Hate to break it to you hipsters but you're the minority bros.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
LoL i love the 20 hipsters that post here acting like the Catholic church has no power and are irrelevant. Hate to break it to you hipsters but you're the minority bros.
That is why I look forward to them being crushed by lawsuits in the US. It is only a matter of time.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
MSNBC's Vatican Analyst (yeah, they actually have one) was saying that the rest of the world doesn't take the U.S. Catholic Church seriously at all... they just like our money.

This was in the context of whether or not the next Pope could be from the U.S.

TJ Lazer_sl

shitlord
LoL yeah fuck you hipsters!

..wait a second.. you spelled lol LoL.. like a fucking Hipster. Fuck you, hipster trash!

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
MSNBC's Vatican Analyst (yeah, they actually have one) was saying that the rest of the world doesn't take the U.S. Catholic Church seriously at all... they just like our money.

This was in the context of whether or not the next Pope could be from the U.S.
Yeah the catholic church has had a bias on all new world countries since 1492, it's the land of "heathens, convicts and murderers'. There was a lot of resistance for naming someone born in America a saint for example.

The bias has to do with the reformation, when a lot of people started leaving the church during the reformation they became protestants, and ultimately the vast majority of settlers in america where protestants. Martin Luthers 95 thesis was in 1522 right after america was discovered.

until Vatican II remember which happened in the 1960's Protestants and Jews where mortal enemies of the catholic church.

there where no american born people made saints before vatican II as well, that's when the church really radically reorganized itself, in the 20th century vatican II

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I wouldn't be suprised if they picked a pope from South America, Central America or perhaps even Africa. But I'm not catholic just seems like that those are either already catholic areas or areas they could expand into more.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I just wanted my 666th post to be in this thread.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The worst part about this is that now you can forget news sites for the next 48 hours because this rather irrelevant issue is gonna get all the cover. Did it push Dorner from page 1?

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
And there will likely be no new news on this until the end of the month when the College of Cardinals is assembled to elect a new pope anyways.

Agenor

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Maybe he's giving religion up for lent?

He needs advice from this guy.

rrr_img_12896.jpg

Ko Dokomo_sl

shitlord
Actually since you have to wait 15 days for the Cardinals to assemble, we shouldn't hear any news from Rome until . . . March 15th!

ET TU BENEDICT?!