Pope Benedict XVI resigns

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
See the problem I have is with the asumption that the Europeans needed to develop guns and the Chinese didn't.
Look, here is what I feel like has happened here: You've taking a simple statement, and blown it up into way more than it was ever intended to be. It was a generalization, a quick turn of phrase, it wasn't meant to be some sort of mandate of absolute fact in every situation handed down on high by the gods of history.

And you continue the trend of reading more into what was stated when you start trying to overanalyze statements like "laying the foundation for colonialism". That terminology does not necessarily imply conscious intent, in the first place. One can intentionally or unintentionally lay the foundations for future actions and events through actions in the current moment, and that's what Europeans were doing. If I go out drinking heavily one night, and choose to drive myself home without a taxi or a chaperone, I may be unintentionally laying the foundation for an accident, or possibly I may be laying the foundation for my own demise, or the accidental killing of another. This does not imply that I went out drinking that night with the intention of killing myself or someone else when I went to leave for home. You want to take a scalpel to what I've said, but at the same time, it feels like you're really just massacring it with a sledgehammer.

Whether events occur by willful malice aforethought, or unintentional ignorance, is really irrelevant to the discussion. Intentions are like assholes, everyone has one, rarely do we wish to see others'. What matters is what happened. What happened was Europeans were looking for new territories to exploit for new resources, in part because they had come to what amounted to political and military stalemates in Europe, where large tracts of land were not (generally) changing hands any more, and demand for resources was burgeoning as populations were growing. They didn't go out there going "We want to conquer the world and plunder it" but that was what occurred.

Look, I do recognize what you're saying and the thing you have to realize is I don't disagree with you. But what I think you're doing is taking a very casual statement, and overanalyzing it to death, and then using it as a springboard for what you want to say. That's fine, but try not to read so much into what I said because I made that post

1. Very early in the morning my time, like think 7 am or so

2. I was just speaking very generally and in broad strokes

We can have a discussion of the finite details, and I'm fine with that, I love discussing this type of topic. I just feel like you've way over analyzed what was said. I wasn't giving a thesis presentation, I was making a quick comment, a broad generalization, on a complex topic, of course its going to be possible to nitpick the comment to death with details. It doesn't make the broad generalization wrong, it just means that if someone wants to have a deep grasp of the complexity of the issue, they need to do their own time and research into the topic.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
There's no problem here. I was just hoping you might give me some insight into the evolution of the market economy in the southern colonies. My contention is that prior to the Revolutionary War, the economic modalities, especially in the southern colonies, could be most aptly described as agrarian pre-Capitalist.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
There's no problem here. I was just hoping you might give me some insight into the evolution of the market economy in the southern colonies. My contention is that prior to the Revolutionary War, the economic modalities, especially in the southern colonies, could be most aptly described as agrarian pre-Capitalist.
Does it bother you that Ben Afleck is so much more talented than you are?

Lost Ranger_sl

shitlord
Of course that's your contention. You're a first year grad student. You just finished some Marxian historian, Pete Garrison probably, and so naturally that's what you believe. Until next month when you get to James Lemon and get convinced that Virginia and Pennsylvania were strongly entrepreneurial and capitalist back in 1740. That'll last until sometime in your second year, then you'll be in here regurgitating Gordon Wood about the Pre-revolutionary utopia and the capital-forming effects of military mobilization.

(such a good scene)
smile.png

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Neato, a Jesuit pope. Went to a Jesuit high school myself, much respect to those guys.
Wasn't that the sect that travelled along the spanish conquistadores as they wiped out all the Indians and justified those actions?

Or is that just what I remember from Sid Meier's Colonization.

Seriously, any sources on what their stances towards the usual topics are?

Weaponsfree_sl

shitlord
Neato, a Jesuit pope. Went to a Jesuit high school myself, much respect to those guys.
Yeah, the Jesuits are pretty baller.

Question though. If the new pope is Argentine, is everything going to be run with Argentine efficiency? Because...yeah that would make things go pretty slowly.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
first thing I found was that he tried to stop same sex marriage in Argentina.

Yes, that's what we need, a backwards homophobe who thinks he should meddle in democratic politics.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
What did he do to stop it? Because if it's anything like making a statement saying gays shouldn't marry I dont' think you should be that surprised or disappointed.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Wasn't that the sect that travelled along the spanish conquistadores as they wiped out all the Indians and justified those actions?

Or is that just what I remember from Sid Meier's Colonization.

Seriously, any sources on what their stances towards the usual topics are?

That can be said for just about every religious order 500 years ago.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Uh, you have to remember we're talking about Catholics here. What'd you expect?
Exactly that, but this guy also seems to have been best buddies with the Argentine military junta that started the falkland war and had 30,000 people murdered, denouncing multiple Jesuits himself. What a stand up guy!