Preacher

khorum

Murder Apologist
Oh cmon, we both know that isn't what I meant. Why are you even posting here to begin with? You just jumped in after people were praising the show with

Because, that red exclamation excuse for your involvement certainly doesn't apply there.

It's my opinion. Apparently some people disagreed with it and asked me to explain my reasoning, and here we are.

I absolutely get an alert when you or anyone else responds to my post. Sometimes I'll check back in to see some mouthbreathing cumnugget like Cybsled Cybsled take a swipe, and I try to respond to that too.

That's pretty much how I use forums.

• 3Like
  • 2Salty
Reactions: 4 users

Cybsled

But flipping the dynamic with her being the callous badass and Cassidy being the simpering, self-doubting co-dependent is lazy and boring and the show absolutely suffers from the changes to those characters.

The thing to consider with Cassidy is since the original Preacher comic came out, we have had a metric fuckton of Vampire movies/shows/etc. Making Cassidy the simpering, self-doubting co-dependent is needed to not seem like a rehash of the past 20 years of Vampire crap that has come out and give it a fresher take. Rule #1 of making an engaging show is taking the audience's expectations and flipping that on its head.

• 1Salty
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Ok guys. Hopefully you've gotten this out of your system by now. You've kept this fairly on topic so nothing is being moved, but we have had a couple complaints.

Keep things on topic and our flavor of civil so Amod can keep lazing around not doing anything. It would be a real shame if anybody had to take a short vacation from the thread.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
The thing to consider with Cassidy is since the original Preacher comic came out, we have had a metric fuckton of Vampire movies/shows/etc. Making Cassidy the simpering, self-doubting co-dependent is needed to not seem like a rehash of the past 20 years of Vampire crap that has come out and give it a fresher take. Rule #1 of making an engaging show is taking the audience's expectations and flipping that on its head.

Well not only that, but recently it seems like he might be trying to expand too. From the tombs to where he is now, maybe he will be leading into being more of a badass. I still love the character regardless.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
It does seem like the last few episodes are kinda directed at helping cassidy figure out what he really wants to be and grow the fuck up a bit.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Cassidy's arc is the only one I find a bit lacking. I feel his character has been neutered so much since his introduction in the first episode when he's fucking shit up on the airplane.

• 2Like
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 2 users

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
Cassidy's arc is the only one I find a bit lacking. I feel his character has been neutered so much since his introduction in the first episode when he's fucking shit up on the airplane.

Yeah i definitely agree. i still appreciate his character but the shtick has become a little stale. That's why I'm hoping these recent episodes are him sorta powering up or at least working towards some character improvements.

• 1Salty
  • 1Like

khorum

Murder Apologist
Ok guys. Hopefully you've gotten this out of your system by now. You've kept this fairly on topic so nothing is being moved, but we have had a couple complaints.

Keep things on topic and our flavor of civil so Amod can keep lazing around not doing anything. It would be a real shame if anybody had to take a short vacation from the thread.
Good work Amod Amod . It was getting pretty tiresome to see our discourse coarsened by random outbursts of "You just hate empowered women!". Sucks that random jackholes can't handle criticism well enough that sterner moderation becomes a necessity.

Hopefully the worst offenders can calm the fuck down so we can all stay on topic about how Seth Rogen's SJW agenda has ruined Preacher.

Even the slowest folks can disagree without resorting to casting false aspersions on the people we disagree with.

Last edited:
  • 3Picard
  • 2Like
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 7 users

khorum

Murder Apologist

Cassidy was already a parody of goth culture IN the comic. All these Twilight or even the earlier Buffy/Angel fandoms were long preceded by the Anne Rice inspired vampire goth scene of the 90's, which Cassidy not only parodized by virtue of who he was, but the comic straight-up clowned on in the comics. His irreverence towards the goth culture in 90's would just be as relevant a critique of the Twihard emo culture of more recent memory.

They didn't change him for that reason since that update wouldn't be any "fresher"; the communities he was mocking is more or less THE SAME. They changed him to take on the role of the vulnerable/needy leg of the triangle and made Tulip the more self-assured, callous id purely for lazy and gratuitously SJW reasons.

Last edited:
  • 3Salty
  • 1Like

Cybsled

That could be the case, but this is a show made (in theory) for consumption by an audience wider than the original comic. The whole goth culture thing isn't as huge now in terms of public memory, whereas it was a lot more noticeable in that sense in the 90s so the reference/satire is more spot on.

Instead, you have to factor in what would be in the market's recent memory. Stuff like True Blood or Twilight. Granted those are heavily influenced by the Rice and Buffy stuff, but they still all did "I am tortured, but sexy and powerful and confident" thing with their vampires. Playing "against" type makes your character stand out more, because it is a newer take and kind of dumps on the True Blood/Twilight vision of vampires where you're "better" as a vampire, whereas Cassidy is still heavily flawed (perhaps even more so as a vampire).

• 2Like
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 2 users

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
This is a decent show if you keep a clean separation between it and the comics. The comics were amazing, and are regularly touted as some of the best ever written. This show? Not so much.

• 1Like
  • 1Dislike

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
The comics must be next level because I think this is one of the better currently on-air TV shows right now. Fargo might be the only other current show I'd rank above it.

• 4Like

ShakyJake

<Donor>
The comics must be next level because I think this is one of the better currently on-air TV shows right now. Fargo might be the only other current show I'd rank above it.
Yeah, seriously. I'm like holy shit I need to read the comics then because I'm enjoying the hell out of the TV series.

• 1Like

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
Amazing finale tonight. Season went way too fucking fast. Now to be bored waiting for the next season.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

TV show is excellent. Really. Some people just don't like the departures from the source material I guess.

The Greta Van Fleet soundtrack was great. Actual Nazi wearing the MAGA hat was a bit much.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Had no idea last night was the finale. Makes sense though with the main villain of this season out of the way now.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Had no idea last night was the finale. Makes sense though with the main villain of this season out of the way now.

The end of the Angelville Arc and the beginning of the Jesus rich hollywood deviant arc and such I hope!

• 1Like

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
TV show is excellent. Really. Some people just don't like the departures from the source material I guess.

The Greta Van Fleet soundtrack was great. Actual Nazi wearing the MAGA hat was a bit much.

I'm enjoying the show for what it is, but yes, the comics are next level shit. Written in the 90s, and still epic today. Vertigo label was some baller fucked in the head stuff from day 1.

• 2Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I'm enjoying the show for what it is, but yes, the comics are next level shit. Written in the 90s, and still epic today. Vertigo label was some baller fucked in the head stuff from day 1.

Totally. A certain part of me feels we deserved to see Odin Quincannon fuck a meat puppet, Nazi Girl in Nazi Themed lingerie jump Jessie's bones and give him WWII metaphors of what she wanted him to do to her, and other glorious gems.

The Masada vs Saint of Killers is going to be oh so lovely though.

• 1Like