Preacher

khorum

Murder Apologist
Well did you read the American Gods books? Since that show went SJW from the source material too.....but the show isn't diminished from it. The Ifrit being gay is a poke a devout muslims. The Media scenes, Anansi's whole diatribe on the slaveship and Bilquis "empowering" herself by draining white men are all additions. They're obviously SJW virtue-signalling but it works because the MESSAGING doesn't detract from the show. Even when they made Vulcan into an NRA gun-cult god, it made sense and actually grew the core premise from the novel.

But Preacher just went LAZY with their portrayal of Jesse's hick townsfolks, his family and everyone he's met in between. In the comics Arseface whole arc wasn't a critique on his dad's stodginess, it was a rip on 90's grunge culture and the teens who adored it.... the show just shorthanded that with giggly slapstick shit and the show suffers from it.

I was wondering how they went off the rails until Seth Rogen's recent public TDS episodes and it just made sense that he'd use his role as Executive Producer to turn the Preacher Adaptation into his soapbox.

• 1Like
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 1 users

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
Well did you read the American Gods books? Since that show went SJW from the source material too.....but the show isn't diminished from it. The Ifrit being gay is a poke a devout muslims. The Media scenes, Anansi's whole diatribe on the slaveship and Bilquis "empowering" herself by draining white men are all additions. They're obviously SJW virtue-signalling but it works because the MESSAGING doesn't detract from the show. Even when they made Vulcan into an NRA gun-cult god, it made sense and actually grew the core premise from the novel.

But Preacher just went LAZY with their portrayal of Jesse's hick townsfolks, his family and everyone he's met in between. In the comics Arseface whole arc wasn't a critique on his dad's stodginess, it was a rip on 90's grunge culture and the teens who adored it.... the show just shorthanded that with giggly slapstick shit and the show suffers from it.

I was wondering how they went off the rails until Seth Rogen's recent public TDS episodes and it just made sense that he'd use his role as Executive Producer to turn the Preacher Adaptation into his soapbox.

And that's fair. But how does SJW virtue signalling apply to preacher? It sounds like its just a bad adaptation in your eyes, which is a fair statement, but I'm not seeing any argument that the adaptation is bad because of SJW bullshittery. That was kind of my point about how it seems like you're blaming SJW's for the adaptation, when it sounds more just like bad decisions period.

Now if Tulip was invincible, beat the shit out of the saint or w/e, just because yay vaginas, then yeah. I'd agree. but I don't see where the argument is relevant.

khorum

Murder Apologist
I told you already. The show's entire treatment of Jesse's flock, his town, his family and all the other folks he deals with are entirely SJW. Unlike the comics where Jesse routinely disperses criticism to yuppies, goths and grunge punk culture in equal measure.

I get that if you were never into the comics, there wouldn't be a frame of reference for you, but beyond THAT the production itself is diminished by how much it goes out of its way to portray Jesse's adversaries as simpletons and one-dimensional.

• 1Like
  • 1Dislike

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
Did the definition of SJW change? Serious question. It sounds like changing portrayal, for any reason = SJW based on your argument. And you're right, I don't have a reference point to compare. But it sounds like it's just different, and not to your liking. How is the treatment bad? Cause they're making them too hick like? not hick like enough? And how is that difference an SJW thing?.

And I dont entirely see them as one-dimensional. I can't remember the more simple ones name, but the one that stayed back with the madam (also went to the petting zoo) I actually like his character. While being derpy, he's got his funny charms. The actor who portrays him I think does a good job. Even in the intro with that smile and the weird magnification glasses cracks me up.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

khorum

Murder Apologist
Did the definition of SJW change? Serious question. It sounds like changing portrayal, for any reason = SJW based on your argument. And you're right, I don't have a reference point to compare. But it sounds like it's just different. not an SJW thing.

Nope. And even if it did, like I said already, the degree to which the adaptation went SJW isn't as bad as how much the showrunners (IE: the executive producers/Seth Rogen) reshaped the material to the show's detriment. Other shows have done it and were better off like I mentioned, but Preacher just got lazy and cliche'd and the show is just shit for it.

• 1Like
  • 1Dislike

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
Nope. And even if it did, like I said already, the degree to which the adaptation went SJW isn't as bad as how much the showrunners (IE: the executive producers/Seth Rogen) reshaped the material to the show's detriment. Other shows have done it and were better off like I mentioned, but Preacher just got lazy and cliche'd and the show is just shit for it.

Ok, thought you were saying it went so off the rails BECAUSE of that and were equally related. My bad on the misunderstanding.

khorum

Murder Apologist
A good comparison would be the whole Mass Effect: Andromeda fiasco, if you paid attention to that.

Bioware's SJW squad kept insisting the Gamergate misogynists were just hating on their garbage game because they're all racist misogynists.... but those same gamers were scoring Horizon:Zero Dawn 100's on metacritic---and THAT game is arguably even more SJW than ME:A ever was.

The difference was that Bioware hollowed out ME:A and filled it with their pedantry, and the game turned to shit as a consequence. Noone gave a shit about the SJW crap that was plastered all over HZD, because it was a great game.

• 1Like

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
This show is awesome. You're just upset because you're one of those pig fucking hicks and you're offended. The irony.

• 4Worf
  • 2Like
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 6 users

chthonic-anemos

bitchute.com/video/EvyOjOORbg5l/
I think a lot of people on this forum are just starting to look for a reason to call anything SJW. regardless of how baseless it is.
reality: much time and many pages before we get an opinion that you don't like

:smuggly:: a lot of people on this forum!

:rolleyes: deeply concerned

• 1Worf
  • 1Picard

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
reality: much time and many pages before we get an opinion that you don't like

:smuggly:: a lot of people on this forum!

:rolleyes: deeply concerned

Wut? Are you daydrinking? I don't even really know how to respond to this or what you're even getting at. When I say a lot, I mean the people that tend to bleed out of the politics thread from time to time because they're out of people that differ from opinion from them to rip on, or they have to spread the brietbart gospel to more people.

However, I agree when it comes to the SJW bluehair bullshit. I agree with Khorum on the Mass Effect: Andromeda reference, that shit is awful. I hate it when a bad product is defended by claims of racism/sexism etc. Same thing with the new ghostbusters, garbage movie 100% and the defense of it was stupid and other things along these same lines. I even feel bruce jenner did the whole gender change to dodge the bad press of killing someone in an accident.

However, preacher, imo is not a bad product or pushing some sort of agenda whatsoever, i thoroughly enjoy it and I don't fully see still where he's saying what's being done is SJW. Unless its a "they're making fun of rednecks by overstereotyping, must be a shitlib trying to get back at us" claim, as Alex above said.

chthonic-anemos

Wut? Are you daydrinking? I don't even really know how to respond to this or what you're even getting at. When I say a lot, I mean the people that tend to bleed out of the politics thread from time to time because they're out of people that differ from opinion from them to rip on, or they have to spread the brietbart gospel to more people.

However, I agree when it comes to the SJW bluehair bullshit. I agree with Khorum on the Mass Effect: Andromeda reference, that shit is awful. I hate it when a bad product is defended by claims of racism/sexism etc. Same thing with the new ghostbusters, garbage movie 100% and the defense of it was stupid and other things along these same lines. I even feel bruce jenner did the whole gender change to dodge the bad press of killing someone in an accident.

However, preacher, imo is not a bad product or pushing some sort of agenda whatsoever, i thoroughly enjoy it and I don't fully see still where he's saying what's being done is SJW. Unless its a "they're making fun of rednecks by overstereotyping, must be a shitlib trying to get back at us" claim, as Alex above said.
Khorum is here alone with an opinion and you want to exaggerate. Make a list of other people that are here doing as you described. You're full of shit.

• 1Solidarity

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
He's the first person to come into this thread and say that. Because, well, to accuse this show of SJW fuckery is objectively baseless and wrong. He even points out how they made Tulip black. But tell me one fucking scene in the entire show where that was even relevant or pointed out.

But go to almost any other TV, movie, or video game thread and the politics bullshit leaks everywhere. It's fucking annoying. Pretty much anytime a woman isn't a weak and pathetic character people accuse it of SJW shit. A black person is involved in any way, shape, or form? Also SJW.

• 2Like
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 2 users

chthonic-anemos

He's the first person to come into this thread and say that. Because, well, to accuse this show of SJW fuckery is objectively baseless and wrong. He even points out how they made Tulip black. But tell me one fucking scene in the entire show where that was even relevant or pointed out.

But go to almost any other TV, movie, or video game thread and the politics bullshit leaks everywhere. It's fucking annoying. Pretty much anytime a woman isn't a weak and pathetic character people accuse it of SJW shit. A black person is involved in any way, shape, or form? Also SJW.
Actually he points out that they've deviated from the books by expanding her role. He literally said that he thought it was a good idea to make her black. Sometimes a different opinion is something that you're both going to have to deal with.
Admitted and confirmed that there are zero brietbart gospel oppressors in this discussion of a show starring a strong black woman.

I hope that everybody is OK during such dark times.

You fucking exaggerating pussies.

• 1Like
  • 1Picard

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I would have been fine with his critiques if he didn't use "SJW". He used that and then went on to have critiques that had nothing to do with that.

• 1Salty
  • 1Like

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
This adaptation is fucking garbage. Seth Rogen and his SJW shit should never have been involved.

Just put it out of its misery.

Of all the possible complaints about the show preacher being to SJW is an odd one.

• 1Salty
  • 1Like

khorum

Murder Apologist
I would have been fine with his critiques if he didn't use "SJW". He used that and then went on to have critiques that had nothing to do with that.

LOL so let's get this straight: You had no objections to my criticism about how the show turned Jesse Custer from the equal-opportunity critic of everything from Nirvana to Satanists into a one-dimensional proxy for Seth Rogen's SJW views---I didn't even mention how they turned Tulip into a one-woman killing machine in the show, which is honestly a let-down from Tulip's vulnerability and complexity from the comics, but that's because I already said I originally felt the casting change would work. My opinion's changed on that, but I didn't get into that either, YOU just did. You would've been fine with all that but what got caught in your craw was me using "SJW"?

Sounds like the problem isn't with me being a redneck, but with YOU being buttmad about someone talking shit about SJWs.

The show has suffered under the the showrunner's agenda injection, I explained why I thought that way when I asked. The only fucknut who's sperging out right now IS YOU.

• 1Like

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
LOL so let's get this straight: You had no objections to my criticism about how the show turned Jesse Custer from the equal-opportunity critic of everything from Nirvana to Satanists into a one-dimensional proxy for Seth Rogen's SJW views---I didn't even mention how they turned Tulip into a one-woman killing machine in the show, which is honestly a let-down from Tulip's vulnerability and complexity from the comics, but that's because I already said I originally felt the casting change would work. My opinion's changed on that, but I didn't get into that either, YOU just did. You would've been fine with all that but what got caught in your craw was me using "SJW"?

Sounds like the problem isn't with me being a redneck, but with YOU being buttmad about someone talking shit about SJWs.

The show has suffered under the the showrunner's agenda injection, I explained why I thought that way when I asked. The only fucknut who's sperging out right now IS YOU.

Or you're just paranoid and watch too much alex jones. You're really pushing the anti-white male conspiracy theories pretty hard here. Rather than just being upset they took Jesse's character in a direction you disagreed with, you're putting a villainous intent behind it instead.

Last edited:
  • 1Salty

khorum

Murder Apologist
Of all the possible complaints about the show preacher being to SJW is an odd one.
Want me to go over it again?

The show has absolutely suffered from its clumsy pedantry. Not only have I mentioned how the changes in the adaptation doesn't do this show any favors, I even explained how OTHER shows, which are arguably even MORE SJW, have managed the same thing but have maintained or even improved the integrity of the material. I'm sure someone out there would say that American Gods is a worse show for all the gay ifrits and BLM Anansi, but it's undeniably consistent with the themes of the book and the show pulls it off well.

Not so with Preacher. Turning Tulip into a total badass undermined her role as Jesse's vulnerable, residual humanity in the comics, and Cassidy being a silly sidekick likewise displaces him as Jesse's voracious, amoral avenging id that Cassidy served in the comics. The saint of killers being totally one-dimensional and unsympathetic is gonna be weird fix for spoilery reasons on how the series ends too. The books spent whole volumes on the saint and his motivations all align with exactly how he ends up. Not this lame ass cowboy terminator that Jesse's crew clowns on.

And really those changes weren't for structural or thematic consistency---they were there because they wanted to inject modern SJW shit into Preacher, and they fucked it up.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

khorum

Murder Apologist
Or you're just paranoid and watch too much alex jones. You're really pushing the anti-white male conspiracy theories pretty hard here. Rather than just being upset they took Jesse's character in a direction you disagreed with, you're putting a villainous intent behind it instead.

LOL anti-white-male conspiracy theories? You think that's only on the internet then?

• 1Like

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
LOL anti-white-male conspiracy theories? You think that's only on the internet then?

Not at all. I just feel like its not in preacher like you're insisting. I feel you were more accurate with the ME: Andromeda reference, and others. Which I agreed with you on earlier.

Edit (sorry, I'm doing this a lot in my posts, I know): I can even add some where I feel its more injected, or defended with an agenda. I hated the Skyler character from breaking bad, and I feel people defended her way too hard with the "you just dont like the strong independant female character" --- No, the character was garbage, and annoying cunt who looked like Rocky Dennis per the flashgits video... see Same thing with the new fem ghostbusters, or even Oceans 8.

I get the feeling they just wanted a character like tulip to be more involved in Preacher, just to flesh out the cast, rather than be a throwaway filler character (but I don't know the source and how they use her, for comparison, as we established earlier) It just doesn't feel like some hamfisted SJW move.

Even still, they also in the show point out she's flawed and fucks up all the time, God even says he relies on her fucking up. O'hare curse etc. So I just don't see how she's this black female magic bullet of a character as you seem to claim. She's just a fleshed out character who happens to be played by what I feel is a good actress.

Last edited: