Pregnancy Thread

p0wl_sl

shitlord
Awesome, thanks for the input. There is so much stuff to buy and I'm not sure what is actually useful. I appreciate the help!

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
If anyone has not seen this thing yet, I highly suggest it.http://www.amazon.com/Munchkin-Bottl.../dp/B00186ZQUO
It heats bottles so much faster than trying to bring water to a boil on the stove. Its one of those things we didnt have with the first and wish we had.
Way way too many negative reviews on that thing, I'll stick to boiling water for now heh

The ergo baby thing my wife loves. If we have to go out she wears that around np. Sometimes even around the house if the mobi wrap isn't handy. Speaking of which, I like the Mobi wrap - the only thing is I run hot, as apparently does my son, so I can't keep him in it on me long or he starts sweating /shrug

lindz

#DDs
So how convenient is something likethis? My wife is due on 5/12 with our first child and I'm trying to be as prepared as I can.
I use a Sleepy Wrap and like it a lot. My kids have all preferred being carried in one of those sort of things than being pushed in a stroller. They like being able to see and the comfort of being close to mom or dad.

I did try my sister in law's ERGO though and it is super comfortable. She used hers until her daughter was like 4 or something (yes a bit weird). But if you don't want to wrap every single time to carry the baby, I would recommend the ERGO.

In re carriers....have both an ergo and a moby - I'll wind up using whichever I like better - got the ergo at a good price - and it was a petunia picklebottom
smile.png

We registered for a more masculine one for the husband.

There aren't a whole lot of big ticket items left on the registry - I didn't think I'd have any showers because of how spread out folks are and I like to space purchases out so I've been slowly accumulating stuff but now it looks like I might have like 2-3 showers :x. Folks are being pretty insistent about it.

Had an appt today - had some weird non round ligament pains - dr thinks that either gas or waste is stalling for a while in my lower large intestine or that my organs are putting pressure on my left ovary. Also some odder pains in my nether regions. Going to monitor it. But my blood pressure was back down from my last appt from two weeks ago - I run on the lower side normally and then two weeks ago it shot up to normal, now its back down in between first numbers and last appointment's. Also found out that in the last two weeks I've lost another pound. Which is weird - I would have expected to gain now that I'm not puking all the time.

I would have also expected to gain at least a few pounds from the 1.5 slices of cake and 2 cake balls I had at a friends baby shower yesterday. Then again all I had for dinner was a salad and fruit heh.

To the person who may be reposting his question from the parent thread - which GD test did she fail? The 1 hr or the 3 hr?

Theyre not even going to try the 3hr? Thats....odd. Esp because the failure rate on 1hr is not low - I mean she could have just eaten something that day that threw everything off.

Was this a nurse that told you this? If it was the doctor is it the regular doctor you see or another one within the practice?

Edit - ran this to ground a bit - from the feedback I got its rare that they skip the 3hr and go direct to diet modification but it does happen....but still...kind of what I was getting at above - I would call back and push for the 3hr.

From what I understand if the child is born with GD it *typically* can involve a couple of extra days in the hospital - depending on how severe. Obviously there are also in utero risks/monitoring as well.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
http://www.plus-size-pregnancy.org/gd/gd_testing.htm
GD can be diagnosed from the 1h test, albeit it's best practice to use the 3h test to confirm (or the 3rd option: 2h test outside US).
If the test showed above 200mg/dl (11 mmol/l), your wife most likely has GD - especially if the test was done fasting. GD is highly manageable: exercise/diet and, depending on GD subtype, insulin. Ask your physician
smile.png

EDIT:
Yes, neonatal observation can be the case. They monitor for complications such as hypoglycemia as a result of the child's increased insulin production in utero. It's also treatable. Don't worry about this now - get the mothers blood glucose under control first
smile.png

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
My wife said she talked to her normal doctor (she had missed the first call from the office) and the doctor said her glucose test showed a level of 300mg/dL, which is apparently is about twice the cutoff for taking the 3hr test. I guess it was just a shock because we eat healthy and I try and get her to exercise. Though I know the night before she had a real hard time sleeping and that day she really did not eat much. So I'm hoping that skewed the results slightly. Anyway, I figure tomorrow when I get to work I'll research on pubmed/web of science and hopefully get some decent research papers to try and understand it better.

It's good to hear that it will be manageable and hopefully we can get it in check. Hardest part now is my wife is depressed and is blaming herself for being selfish and not taking care of her self as much as she should for the baby. At the same doctors appointment we had a sono and everything was healthy and good with the baby, so I guess we can only hope that remains the same.

Yeah I mean its really common actually and not just in women who are overweight (though there is a higher prevalence in that population) - and its very manageable. She shouldn't be blaming herself at all. There are uber healthy women who get it for whatever reason. As Izo hinted at with the fasting part - if she didn't eat a lot that day its more likely that she does in fact have GD.

I say that she shouldn't be blaming herself - and I know its easier said than done. If its anything pregnancy has taught me its that getting out of your own head while pregnant is like trying to teach a shark to drive an 18 wheeler.

But if she's otherwise healthy and gaining weight on schedule then its not like she could have seen this coming. My best friend for example is about 6 inches smaller than me and was probably 20lbs overweight going into pregnancy.....as of a few weeks ago she had gained over 30lbs and was only in week 24-25. And her words to me were "the only thing that sounds good to me is ice cream." So if she fails her GD test I'm not going to be in the surprised category - even she's worried about it. Every woman is different though. I'm at week 17 and I'm at negative 15 *shrug*.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
My wife said she talked to her normal doctor (she had missed the first call from the office) and the doctor said her glucose test showed a level of 300mg/dL, which is apparently is about twice the cutoff for taking the 3hr test. I guess it was just a shock because we eat healthy and I try and get her to exercise. Though I know the night before she had a real hard time sleeping and that day she really did not eat much. So I'm hoping that skewed the results slightly. Anyway, I figure tomorrow when I get to work I'll research on pubmed/web of science and hopefully get some decent research papers to try and understand it better.

It's good to hear that it will be manageable and hopefully we can get it in check. Hardest part now is my wife is depressed and is blaming herself for being selfish and not taking care of her self as much as she should for the baby. At the same doctors appointment we had a sono and everything was healthy and good with the baby, so I guess we can only hope that remains the same.
Although food intake plays a huge part in the blood glucose levels, the pregnant body elevates the blood glucose levels by other means as well to sustain the life of the unborn child. This puts stress on the mothers pancreas to get rid of excess sugar (insulin production). You cannot fault your wife (or she herself) for having a pancreas that produces too little insulin. The reasons could very well be of idiopathic nature.
I'd spend less time worrying and researching, and more time listening to the physician -> Get the blood glucose under control. It's not something to overly worry about or point fingers - it happens and it's super manageable - talk to your physician - and above all else, enjoy pregnancy
smile.png

smile.png

Varlox_sl

shitlord

My wife had gestational diabetes while pregnant. Same thing, failed the 1 hour test so bad they didn't bother with the 3 hour. We had to see a nutritionist, they gave us a log book and the diabetic testing supplies. We had to keep a record of all meals as well as the glucose readings before and 1 hour after each meal. They made us do that for a week and then we had to see the nutritionist again. She checked over the log and glucose numbers and said we would be able to manage using diet, no insulin. We had to visit the nutritionist every 2 weeks up until 7 months, then because we still had it managed the appointments went to once a month. It was acutally surprisingly easy to manage with only diet control with the plan and foods that the nutritionist gave us. The big thing for the wife was she hates needles, and pricking herself all the time kind of took a toll.
Once our son was born, they did some tests to check both my wife's and son's glucose levels. Neither of them tested high and they just requested we have our doctor check in 6 months as a follow up to make sure everything was still ok. My wife checked herself randomly 2 months later after we had eaten food that would cause a spike (pizza and pop) and her levels were normal.

TLDR; If your wife was healthy before the pregnancy, then it should be no problem for you both to manage with diet and it should go away once she has the baby.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Had an appt today - had some weird non round ligament pains - dr thinks that either gas or waste is stalling for a while in my lower large intestine or that my organs are putting pressure on my left ovary. Also some odder pains in my nether regions. Going to monitor it. But my blood pressure was back down from my last appt from two weeks ago - I run on the lower side normally and then two weeks ago it shot up to normal, now its back down in between first numbers and last appointment's. Also found out that in the last two weeks I've lost another pound. Which is weird - I would have expected to gain now that I'm not puking all the time.

I would have also expected to gain at least a few pounds from the 1.5 slices of cake and 2 cake balls I had at a friends baby shower yesterday. Then again all I had for dinner was a salad and fruit heh.
We had an appointment yesterday... 18 weeks. All is well. 150 BPM... and that's about all that was checked. Our super-ultrasound or whatever its called will be in two weeks so we'll know the sex and hopefully that the kid has 10 fingers and 10 toes and functioning organs. My wife's blood pressure was perfectly normal considering she spent the entire car ride to the doctor's office yelling at our attorney and realtor about the person we are buying a house from being retarded... but she's always had good blood pressure.

My wife has so far lost 12 pounds but our doctor said its nothing to worry about.

Madikus

Knows nothing.
My wife had gestational diabetes while pregnant. Same thing, failed the 1 hour test so bad they didn't bother with the 3 hour. We had to see a nutritionist, they gave us a log book and the diabetic testing supplies. We had to keep a record of all meals as well as the glucose readings before and 1 hour after each meal. They made us do that for a week and then we had to see the nutritionist again. She checked over the log and glucose numbers and said we would be able to manage using diet, no insulin. We had to visit the nutritionist every 2 weeks up until 7 months, then because we still had it managed the appointments went to once a month. It was acutally surprisingly easy to manage with only diet control with the plan and foods that the nutritionist gave us. The big thing for the wife was she hates needles, and pricking herself all the time kind of took a toll.
Once our son was born, they did some tests to check both my wife's and son's glucose levels. Neither of them tested high and they just requested we have our doctor check in 6 months as a follow up to make sure everything was still ok. My wife checked herself randomly 2 months later after we had eaten food that would cause a spike (pizza and pop) and her levels were normal.

TLDR; If your wife was healthy before the pregnancy, then it should be no problem for you both to manage with diet and it should go away once she has the baby.
This exactly sums up our last pregnancy. We had the baby in December and the wife just had another check-up and all levels are great. Baby is 100% normal too. It's a huge pain in the ass during to deal with diet, pills and/or needles.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
The whole situation has been going well. My wife and I have been able to plan all our meals and her blood glucose has been right in the middle of the ranges that are acceptable for the different times of day when we do it.

I'm just glad she isn't worked up over it much anymore. She's been enjoying finding more recipes and tracking literally everything she eats and all of her exercise. Hopefully when we go in for her week followup where they measure her blood glucose after 12 hours of fasting everything will be okay.

I am so sick of peeing. And not sleeping. And I'm only almost 18 weeks. RLS during the night makes me want to punch something.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Only 22 more weeks!

Towards the end, my wife would pee like every 15 minutes. It was pretty hilarious, for me anyway.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
@Etoille
Besides the obvious added pressure to the bladder it's possible you have an UTI. I'd get a urine stix test done - buy some at your local pharmacy. It's a cheap home diag anyone can do. Make sure you test on a midstream urine sample:
http://www.patient.co.uk/health/mids...n-of-urine-msu
RLS can be an early sign of folic acid deficiency as well as ferritin deficiency in pregnancy. You need folic acid, b12 and iron - ask your physician for specific dose - especially if you're already on the added iron/folic acid for your specific trimester (which you should be at this point).

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I think it is standard that they check her for a uti every visit. They did my wife, but now that you mention it yeah she did have like 4 or 5 utis between all of her pregnancies.