Pregnancy Thread

None at all. It was one of those very obvious don't need any tests to know kinda things. :p
frown.png
Sorry to hear. Keep us posted about your progress.

Thengel

Golden Knight of the Realm
Had our 18 week ultrasound this morning - it's a boy! Tech asked "did you want to know the gender?" And, looking at the monitor, our response was "I don't think you need to tell us, we can see quite clearly." Good thing we wanted to know! Although, we had already told her that we wanted to know earlier, I guess she was just double checking.

We also opted to get the Harmony test done - a blood test to check for down's syndrome and a few others. They told us that there was a "soft indicator" that doubled our chances - from 1/2400 to 1/1200 or something. It was some white flicker in the heart. Anyhow, we said go for it, just for peace of mind - not sure how much of it insurance will cover.

Soft markers are not uncommon - im wondering how they established the initial 1/2400 baseline though - would assume this is from your 13 week scan?

Typically if you do the mat21 or similar without being high risk (eg over 35) or without indicators, a lot of insurers deny coverage. But ive heard if your insurance denies it the company only bills you direct a couple hundred bucks. So you should be fine.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
I am posting here because i have to tell someone. Just got back from our first Ultrasound (6weeks) and everything seems normal. This is a pretty huge deal to us as we have been trying for 5 years and have done 4 IVF cycles. This is the first one to take ! IVF is one of the very few things not covered by the Canadian Medical System, so that ups the stress level quite a bit (for me at least).

WOOT !

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
So we'll be starting our next attempt in November. We learned a bit more about the embryos that were implanted. Apparently the 2 best embryos they would have used were infected embryos. The 2 we ended up using under normal circumstances wouldn't have been a high enough quality to warrant being used.
Looking at the results our doctor feels my wife may not have been absorbing the progesterone via suppository as well as the doctor would like so we'll be switching to intramuscular progesterone shots for this round. Those are going to be fun to administer. The sub-q shots were bad enough ugh. My wife does NOT like needles lol. She will be upping the hormone shot dosage too. Since insurance will only cover 2 PGD cycles we want to go all in with this 2nd one.
If it doesn't work this next round then we'll have to really think about how to proceed. If we take the chance without the PGD or if we go with a donor. I have no problem using a donor but we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

edit: And congrats Nester.
smile.png

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
We found out today that my girlfriend's 21 year old kid brother got his ex-girlfriend pregnant around six weeks ago when they broke up. They're both still in college, no meaningful income between them. Hell, he's never had more than a part-time job. We're just going to start assuming that wedding assistance they offered won't be there anymore. It's probably going to bleed my future in-laws dry.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Pretty much what I said, but that's not going to be an option. The girl is from a very conservative Alabama family, and she already told her parents. My gf's family is pretty conservative too, at least her father, but that went out the window as soon as he heard. I think he realizes that his son isn't prepared for fatherhood. Either way, everyone knows the score at this point and there's pretty much no chance of abortion even being an option on the table.

The next step is to get everyone in a room and discuss the situation apparently, but the girl's family isn't in any rush. They "can't make the time" until after labor day, which to me sounds like trying to run out the clock on discussing an abortion. I'm trying to stay clear of the whole situation. As stressful as it is for my gf, I'm not technically family yet and I don't feel like I have any right to voice an opinion except to her.

It's going to end up however it ends up, but the bottom line is that her brother has to mature a hell of a lot in the next 7 months. He's not a dumb kid by any means, but he's one of those people for whom life was just easier by being a fuck up since someone was always there to catch him when he fell. He's spent his whole college experience drinking and getting laid at a party school, not really paying attention to his grades and ignoring his parents when they insist he get summer work. They've let him stumble through life for way too long, and he's completely unprepared for what's ahead of him now.

So we'll be starting our next attempt in November. We learned a bit more about the embryos that were implanted. Apparently the 2 best embryos they would have used were infected embryos. The 2 we ended up using under normal circumstances wouldn't have been a high enough quality to warrant being used.
Looking at the results our doctor feels my wife may not have been absorbing the progesterone via suppository as well as the doctor would like so we'll be switching to intramuscular progesterone shots for this round. Those are going to be fun to administer. The sub-q shots were bad enough ugh. My wife does NOT like needles lol. She will be upping the hormone shot dosage too. Since insurance will only cover 2 PGD cycles we want to go all in with this 2nd one.
If it doesn't work this next round then we'll have to really think about how to proceed. If we take the chance without the PGD or if we go with a donor. I have no problem using a donor but we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

edit: And congrats Nester.
smile.png
Hmmm. Did he tell you the grades of the blasts they xferred? obviously they xferred the the blasts that were without the mutation per the pgd but did he have a guess as to why the blast quality itself wasnt great? obviously her lining is a separate issue bit wondering if they are going to put you all on something to improve egg quality too between now and your next cycle? Unless the other blasts (that you couldn't use) looked good?

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Pretty much what I said, but that's not going to be an option. The girl is from a very conservative Alabama family, and she already told her parents. My gf's family is pretty conservative too, at least her father, but that went out the window as soon as he heard. I think he realizes that his son isn't prepared for fatherhood. Either way, everyone knows the score at this point and there's pretty much no chance of abortion even being an option on the table.

The next step is to get everyone in a room and discuss the situation apparently, but the girl's family isn't in any rush. They "can't make the time" until after labor day, which to me sounds like trying to run out the clock on discussing an abortion. I'm trying to stay clear of the whole situation. As stressful as it is for my gf, I'm not technically family yet and I don't feel like I have any right to voice an opinion except to her.

It's going to end up however it ends up, but the bottom line is that her brother has to mature a hell of a lot in the next 7 months. He's not a dumb kid by any means, but he's one of those people for whom life was just easier by being a fuck up since someone was always there to catch him when he fell. He's spent his whole college experience drinking and getting laid at a party school, not really paying attention to his grades and ignoring his parents when they insist he get summer work. They've let him stumble through life for way too long, and he's completely unprepared for what's ahead of him now.
adoption is the other A-word option

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Yep, there are PLENTY of people out there that would love to adopt a baby from a healthy, "normal" background.

I was in that situation when I was in college. 19 years old and I got my 19 year old girlfriend pregnant. We chose to end the pregnancy at Planned Parenthood, and it was definitely the best decision for both of us. Neither of us wanted to get married, we wanted to finish college, and we knew we weren't mature enough to properly raise a kid at that point in our lives. Hell, It took me until my mid 30s to finally feel like I was ready for a family(marraige and kid). I can't imagine how much more difficult my life would have been for the past 15 years with partial custody of a kid(I didn't marry that girl, never got close)

I've seen a lot of friends struggle with kids(and even marraige) before they were really emotionally ready for it. Some friends of mine got married and had kids in their early 20s and did great, some did not. I'd hope that if someone isn't ready for a family, that they are at least smart enough to know that. Too many kids nowadays grow up in a home where they are an afterthought, and that's a shame.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
I am hoping that they're considering that as an alternative, and my girlfriend has certainly mentioned it to her brother and parents. Like I said, I'm not opening my mouth when it comes to their family affairs to anyone except her.

The problem is the whole southern thing. A significant portion of religious, conservative southerners see pregnancy as a "gift from god" that you're denying if you give the child up for adoption. It's not just about abortion being bad, it's about failing to live up to god's expectations of you (and frankly, there's a punitive angle to it as well, as though you've got to pay the price for sex out of wedlock). I'm hoping that they can avoid those entanglements, but it wouldn't be the first time that adoption was discarded as an option. It's almost seen as a personal failing.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
Hmmm. Did he tell you the grades of the blasts they xferred? obviously they xferred the the blasts that were without the mutation per the pgd but did he have a guess as to why the blast quality itself wasnt great? obviously her lining is a separate issue bit wondering if they are going to put you all on something to improve egg quality too between now and your next cycle? Unless the other blasts (that you couldn't use) looked good?
Yes they showed us the report on all of the embryos. There were several that were good quality. The 2 best just happened to be infected and 2 of the lower quality ones just happened to be uninfected. I don't recall what the other drug is but she will be on one that she wasn't on the first time around.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Yes they showed us the report on all of the embryos. There were several that were good quality. The 2 best just happened to be infected and 2 of the lower quality ones just happened to be uninfected. I don't recall what the other drug is but she will be on one that she wasn't on the first time around.
We added an "Intralipid" infusion for the 4th go and that was the one that worked for us. The theory was my wifes immune system might be causing the problem (no problems with either of us, always have high quality embro, but nothing would "take') and Intralipid would suppress the "Natural Killer Cells" which may keep the embro for attaching.

So as previously (I think) mentioned - my sister also has IF issues - basically she only gets 3-4 periods a year (though I'm not sure what her situation is post my niece because if she put some damn weight on I think it would help - pre my niece she was a size 0).

She xferred 2 embryos first time and one stuck - my niece was born Feb 2012. Had something like 11 frosties. They get 25k with her health insurer for IF - and they are going to change providers so she gets ANOTHER 25k when that happens - which was this past july. So they decided to do a cycle in like June.

Xferred 2 embryos and she just told me last week - she's 12 weeks pregnant with twins. They won't let her go past 38 weeks....which that date is literally my niece's 2nd birthday.

3 kids, 1 birthday=epic fail. But kind of awesome at the same time.

We've set a rough time frame for trying to conceive number 2 - August 2014. I can't wait - originally it was going to be December 2014. Even 3-4 months earlier makes me giddy.

I don't know who this person I've become is. I so love being a mom and kids. My son is so friggin awesome I can't wait to give him a little brother or sister.

TragedyAnn_sl

shitlord
I am hoping that they're considering that as an alternative, and my girlfriend has certainly mentioned it to her brother and parents. Like I said, I'm not opening my mouth when it comes to their family affairs to anyone except her.

The problem is the whole southern thing. A significant portion of religious, conservative southerners see pregnancy as a "gift from god" that you're denying if you give the child up for adoption. It's not just about abortion being bad, it's about failing to live up to god's expectations of you (and frankly, there's a punitive angle to it as well, as though you've got to pay the price for sex out of wedlock). I'm hoping that they can avoid those entanglements, but it wouldn't be the first time that adoption was discarded as an option. It's almost seen as a personal failing.
It's not a death sentence. And honestly, he's lucky bc it really falls on the female and her family. All the parents of prego teen moms that I know, don't care about shit else once they see that baby. Baby trumps all BS. But then everyone is different...

My friend's 16yo got prego (in MS which seems relevant since we're talking about the south here) by a guy friend who was in a relationship with another girl. Can you say messy? But she had the baby, finished school, got a job and is in college. He sees the boy occasionally but she never asked him for anything or expected anything from him. He's free to live his life as it was before. Her and her family are the ones whose lives really changed.