Project 2002 - The Age of Al'Kabor - release date 3/21/15

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
Only thing I don't get is whats the difference between this server and the other Al'Kabor server?

Edit : Also how toxic is the top end ? I'm not looking for a p99 lawyer quest type of server. Did that once and never again.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Only thing I don't get is whats the difference between this server and the other Al'Kabor server?

Edit : Also how toxic is the top end ? I'm not looking for a p99 lawyer quest type of server. Did that once and never again.
Don't go pallly druid they suck, i know thats what i rolled this time (ya i ripped of your combo, deal)

Here is my understanding, i was not present for most of this so its 3rd hand info

On Al'kabor there was a a top guild (armed and hammered, lead by old Resistance/ib bros) who pretty much killed what they wanted,
The 2nd place guild destiny complained and the server admins enforced a rotation.

There was a split in the playerbase and admins on this issue and thus a 2nd server was formed.
p2002 has i think a 20% exp bonus, and has velious, i dont know if that bonus was to match the eqmac one or if it is on top of it. P2002 has double exp weekends on the 3rd week of the month.
Today is my 2 week aniversary of my char here and i will hit 57 tonight.
There are some wierd bugs i saw in TOv last night and major connection issues when we had lots of AE drakes in camp. They say they are working on it so we will see.

Takp has the bulk of the dev's so some say it will have more stability, better/faster changes and be more acurate. I will say i did not find Misty Thinket very acurate but its really hard to say.
That being said they are still on Kunark for now so its a bit behind.

On p2002 there really is not enought people for any lawyer quest. Powerslave (which i joined once i hit 55) is run by 3 officers 2 are Wharhogg and tolixs who you may remember from p99 and eqmac.
They are in TOV and starting sleepers, plan is to kill giants next month. the 2nd guild is invictus, they were farming Wtov last night i really dont know what they do. Lots of mobs stay up at this point, no one has killed dain, tormax, statue iirc.

So far its pretty fun and i am fully immersed. Rocking Bronze in Tov is the new way!

Hit me up in game for more details.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
TAKP is the original mac emu server. You can read about how it got started and who's involved in their About section. Very early on in the server's life there was a debate within the player base and administrators about what to do with raid mobs - the result of which was a rotation on Vox and Naggy. As of now,rotations have not continued into Kunarkwith any other mobs and Vox/Naggy are FFA because most have moved on. The vocal minority against it decided to leave the server, use TAKP's open source code and branch their own server - so P2002 came into being.

That was all well and good, TAKP was created open source from the beginning so that people would eventually be able to roll their own custom servers. However there was a lot of back and forth between both community members and devs eventually creating some bad blood. The dev team got really pissed when P2002 would use and roll out TAKP's code updates and not give credit to its devs, which eventually snowballed and made the TAKP team go back to a closed source and lock down access. That was a little over a month ago. Parts of the server are still open source but going into velious and beyond there will start being more differences.

P2002 team's focus is on fast content releases, regardless of bugs, with ideally quick revisions as things are found. They also are not focused on Al`kabor accuracy, from my understanding, the goal is just to get to PoP.

TAKP team's focus is on slow, accurate content releases, but they maintain a 2 week bug patch/update rollout schedule. The #1 focus is to recreate Al`kabor as accurately as possible. As far as TAKP server population goes, there are many guilds but two main raiding ones - Austerity and Destiny. Both guilds get along and help each other at times, and we raid different time zones so there's never any butting of heads.

In general it's frustrating that such a small issue at the beginning of the development timeline, that is completely irrelevant at this point, has split the player base in two when one server would be enough for us all.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
P2002 team's focus is on fast content releases, regardless of bugs, with ideally quick revisions as things are found. They also are not focused on Al`kabor accuracy, from my understanding, the goal is just to get to PoP.

TAKP team's focus is on slow, accurate content releases, but they maintain a 2 week bug patch/update rollout schedule. The #1 focus is to recreate Al`kabor as accurately as possible. As far as TAKP server population goes, there are many guilds but two main raiding ones - Austerity and Destiny. Both guilds get along and help each other at times, and we raid different time zones so there's never any butting of heads.

In general it's frustrating that such a small issue at the beginning of the development timeline, that is completely irrelevant at this point, has split the player base in two when one server would be enough for us all.
This is a pretty accurate description imo. for example p2002 have Velious but rings and shawl are not finished. I think the forth ring is bugged atm. The real test will be Luclin.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I should also mention that the majority of the changes from the P2002 team have all been content (database) and quest (.lua scripting) contributions. When the server was created there was an expectation that TAKP would remain open source and they could get codebase updates from there. This is why I question the server's longevity, I'm unsure of their team's ability to make substantive changes to the source code in the long run.

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
On Al'kabor there was a a top guild (armed and hammered, lead by old Resistance/ib bros) who pretty much killed what they wanted,
The 2nd place guild destiny complained and the server admins enforced a rotation.
That's a lie. Armed leaders also wanted a rotation. Destiny wasn't #2 at the time, Starvald was. Starvald beat Armed to kills, which angered Armed who started poopsocking in revenge, hence the desire for rotations.

The community as a whole voted for rotations-- it was a public vote. It was not implemented to favor Destiny.

Powerslave (which i joined once i hit 55) is run by 3 officers 2 are Wharhogg and tolixs
Wharhogg is Boragar; Tolixs is Taian; Stairs is Administrator/Cocain; and Furst is also one of the forum admins/devs.

They decided to create p2002 on the same day that they were banned on TAKP and launched 1 month later.

Don't hold your breath on link death fixes.

Iance_sl

shitlord
That's a lie. Armed leaders also wanted a rotation. Destiny wasn't #2 at the time, Starvald was. Starvald beat Armed to kills, which angered Armed who started poopsocking in revenge, hence the desire for rotations.

The community as a whole voted for rotations-- it was a public vote. It was not implemented to favor Destiny.

Wharhogg is Boragar; Tolixs is Taian; Stairs is Administrator/Cocain; and Furst is also one of the forum admins/devs.

They decided to create p2002 on the same day that they were banned on TAKP and launched 1 month later.

Don't hold your breath on link death fixes.
Your entire post is full of disinformation. It just goes to prove you won't be happy until you have killed P2002. You have to realize P2002 is more than just code, it's a community, and nothing you can post here will change that. People may get tired of responding to your lies and slander but our community will keep growing. Haters gonna hate

othree

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I'm liking P2002. Don't care about the drama, the server is stable for me on Win7 = good enough for me.

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
(Slithzor is Wharhogg, aka Boragar)

#takp:18.02.2015 16:13:43 <xate> Slithzor tells you, 'yes its very bad'
#takp:18.02.2015 16:13:56 <xate> Slithzor tells you, 'they banned 12 of our people'
#takp:18.02.2015 16:13:56 <xate> Slithzor tells you, 'and they grouped them into eashan.....but actually its many people and many toons'
#takp:18.02.2015 16:13:56 <xate> Slithzor tells you, 'they had no choice......rogean/akkadius the guys who host the server said ban eashan or we shut the server down'
#takp:18.02.2015 16:14:12 <xate> Slithzor tells you, 'so anyone eashan logged on to got banned'
#takp:18.02.2015 16:14:12 <xate> Slithzor tells you, 'yea'
#takp:18.02.2015 16:14:12 <xate> Slithzor tells you, 'kinda shitty, but keep your eyes open....there will be a better place to raid soon'
#takp:18.02.2015 16:14:25 <xate> Slithzor tells you, 'so we are doing what speedz told us to, go make another server if we dont like whats going on here
smile.png
'

#peqmac:14.02.2015 22:59:22 <wharhogg> my post going up on forums pretty much takes into account the entirety of the situation and gives the best plausable solution
#peqmac:14.02.2015 23:01:43 <wharhogg> 24 windows for guilds to complete kills is the only way to not be policing this issue every time a mob pops
#peqmac:14.02.2015 23:02:35 <wharhogg> i can have 30 sk's leveled to 50 in two weeks and we can sit FD with HT ready to roll...and the mob will spawn and die within 1 minute of popping
#peqmac:14.02.2015 23:02:49 <wharhogg> i dont want that...the server doesnt need that
#peqmac:14.02.2015 23:04:14<wharhogg> just roll with rotations for the two targets currently in and let the entire server have a chance to see the content currently available
#peqmac:14.02.2015 23:04:38 <wharhogg> 24hr windows*
#peqmac:14.02.2015 23:12:21 <Torven> light off-topic but is HT unresistable here and if it is, should it be?
#peqmac:14.02.2015 23:12:33 <Torven> slightly off-topic I mean
#peqmac:14.02.2015 23:13:02 <Torven> most classic bosses have very high MR because slow immunity flags didn't go in until velious
#peqmac:14.02.2015 23:17:00 <wharhogg> HT is besides the point...avoid this entire discussion by just doing rots
#peqmac:14.02.2015 23:17:20 <wharhogg> because it is all for the betterment of the server'
#peqmac:14.02.2015 23:18:00 <wharhogg> and if this server is in the true light of AK....rotations were a part of AK and people should abide by them
#peqmac:14.02.2015 23:18:10 <wharhogg> if we want to be Fippy #2
#peqmac:14.02.2015 23:18:26 <Speedz> thinly veiling a threat when it is an open discussion where no drama has really taken place just to force you ideal is not working towards a goal of "betterment of th server"
#peqmac:14.02.2015 23:18:29 <wharhogg> we can play the 64 SK raid game until Velious and stupify all content
#peqmac:14.02.2015 23:18:35 <Speedz> honestly I am quite disturbed and offended
#peqmac:14.02.2015 23:19:12 <wharhogg> no need to get offended ...I am simply saying within the rules a rotation is a better solution
#peqmac:14.02.2015 23:19:59 <Speedz> the wordage here and in your post in a nut shell comes across as "do it this way or I will do (this)"
#peqmac:14.02.2015 23:20:01 <Zarwayne> that seems to be the way it is going, but forcing the issue when it clearly isn't needed is offensive.
#peqmac:14.02.2015 23:20:05 <Speedz> that is what is offensive
#peqmac:14.02.2015 23:20:44<wharhogg> why would we not want a rotation?
#peqmac:14.02.2015 23:20:47 <Zarwayne> whar, you have (Probably) the largest guild on the server; tell them to vote on the forums and ask them to vote for wahtever you want them to
#peqmac:14.02.2015 23:21:03<wharhogg> i am telling them to vote a rotation
#peqmac:14.02.2015 23:21:09 <wharhogg> because I dont want to poopsock

#peqmac:15.02.2015 07:05:21 <stairs> my stance is I don't want ot have to buy a new pair of socks each week

#peqmac:14.02.2015 17:44:12 <Furst> rotations are good for prior expansions, like AK had with VT when guilds were in pop
#peqmac:14.02.2015 17:44:20 <Furst> no real issue there
#peqmac:14.02.2015 17:44:50 <Speedz> honestly I am more towards a FFA
#peqmac:14.02.2015 17:45:02 <Speedz> but I know many oldtimer AK won't like that
#peqmac:14.02.2015 17:45:06 <Furst> I played on Fippy
#peqmac:14.02.2015 17:45:13 <Furst> i will never go back to dps races

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Incoming post from Iance ignoring evidence and still promoting the server because... Double XP weekends!!

To all my rerolled brethren... Send me a PM with your char name and I will personally farm or bankroll some twink items on TAKP. P2002 is the content you want but not the server you deserve.

Iance_sl

shitlord
You just basically proved what I was saying. Despite doing exactly what you guys told us in going to make our own server, it made you angry and you're still not over it. That's why tak developers have been and will continue to be acting like children on here and on all other forums.

So despite portraying themselves as the saviours of everquest the tak developers closed the source of their project to spite p2002, but nobody cared. P2002 doesn't need you.

P2002 developers and players prefer playing on their server to stirring up forum drama.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Jeepers, i tried to answer my long time guild mates question on what I thought was the difference on two servers, I stated this was 3rd hand info and I get called a liar by a dev...

Cool your jets drama lamas, folks just want to play eq with bros..

All of this us vs them just turns people off both servers.

I've read everything that's been posted about this feud, and Istill don't understand what the big deal is.

Seems to me like the catalyst for all of this were some devs @ TAKP getting very upset at the perception that they were not being given enough "credit" for things that were happening on p02. As a result, the basketball was taken home, and the promise to remain open source was reversed.

Speaking from the typical player's perspective, I'd say about 99% of players don't know, don't understand, anddon't carewho actually staffs or devs the server they play on. Once you find the era and community that's right for you as a player, you tend to just dive in regardless of how terrible the management are as people, what they've done, etc... (p99 is proof of this). Most people don't pay attention, and the ones that do still don't seem to understand the heart of the issue.

The GMs/Devs are all just avatars on a forum and characters in the game, anyway. Who knows who anybody even is? Why does anybody care if their elf alias got "credit" for something happening on a server that they don't play on or haveanythingto do with? The whole point of open source is to share information for the COMMON benefit of the PROJECT, not one specific server, and not one specific group of developers. Going closed source because of hurt feelings about not being "properly credited" for something is pretty childish from an outsider's perspective.

From a marketing perspective, I think p02 has a leg up right now simply because of branding it as "Project 2002" -- It's a really smart name for the project because p02 is actually a logical "next step" for a lot of folks who are burned out from p99, or who are turned off by p99's toxic community or completely destroyed economy, ruined with 4 years of Kunark stagnation, hacking, cheating, duping exploits, corrupt after corrupt GM who would engage in insider RMTing, and a management who continuously turns convenient blind eyes to these issues until someone messes up and they're forced to deal with it / cover it up.

P2002 is like the pure "reset button" that everyone has been asking for. AND it offers way more content than p99 EVER will.

It really feels like a special time to play here. I'm making some great friends and growing definite roots here already with the folks I've met. The server's 1 year birthday GM event is coming up next month, which I'm very excited for. I'm also cooking up some really fun game show/contest/event ideas that I'll be debuting on Twitch soon!

It's a GREAT time to join, everyone!

BTW, they just released a SUPER DUPER EASY SET-IT-AND-FORGET-IT installer:

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv vvvvvvvv
>>>https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bxq...pZV2VjQ1k/view<<<
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
If you ever had trouble installing p02, this will make the process 1 million times simpler

See you in Norrath!

Signed,
-your Greengrocer

Lenas

Trump's Staff
GG you'll start to realize the difference when one server keeps updating its code and the other doesn't. It's not hard to understand whatno real developersis going to mean for P2002 in the long run. Sorry you find it hard to grasp; any opinion on the drama is irrelevant. P2002's real problem is that no one on their team knows how to actually code and their server is going to suffer now without being able to stand on the shoulders of others.

Iance_sl

shitlord
Why does that make you angry though? You should be ecstatic, same with Secrets and Torven. Instead you are miserable. What you are doing is petty, vindictive and spiteful. And nobody besides you cares. My advice to you is to use your energy to promote your own server.
smile.png

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Because I value the community here and lament what an undivided player base might have looked like.

What you are doing is petty, vindictive and spiteful.
I answered some questions about the servers' history and added why I am hesitant toward one of them. You have responded to none of it; instead deciding to deflect with "why u mad bro." It's not surprising because there is no response to my concerns - you aren't a dev and you don't know what the fuck you are talking about. You're a p2002 shill here and that's all.

Said my piece, wont shit up thread anymore.