Project 2002 - The Age of Al'Kabor - release date 3/21/15

Javvo_sl

shitlord
Arden, I had the same problem for a while actually. What you need to do is go to the options menu, and then the filters tab. Make sure every single box on the left is checked, including Other's hits and misses. On the right hand side, set it to group, or all. This will show your pet damage and and the offensive spell particles of everyone.

As far as getting messages when your spells land, that is a known bug that's being worked on.

And the full name for those files, that is the full file name. Sorry, I'm not sure why you can't find them, you should be able to in your main EQ directory.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
for that problem with not seeing messages, what seemed to work definitively for everyone was if they went to the Filters tab on their options screen, and click all those filter buttons off and then back on. toggling it seemed to fix whatever glitch was happening.

was happening for a lot of people back when i was playing on TAKP anyway. i assume its the same bug.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
***STEP BY STEP to connect to Project 2002 - the Age of Al'Kabor server***
  • For Mac Users: Edit Launcher Script with your account name and password
Anyone willing to give a Mac dummy step by step instructions on how to do this? I've downloaded the client to my MacBook Air desktop but am very Mac illiterate.

Any help is MUCH appreciated.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
This was supposed to be an edit to the last post, not a new post- sorry.

Edit:

I've even gotten this far on my own:

1. Launch Finder
2. Go to Desktop
3. Click on EQ launcher and select "Show Package Contents"
4. Go into the Contents folder
5. ???- Where the hell is the thing I'm supposed to be modifying???

Iance_sl

shitlord
Just follow the steps in this guide

Project 2002 Login

Unfortunately I don't run the program on a Mac myself, if you have any problems with the guide just reply to the thread on our forums and someone will get back to you asap!

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Just follow the steps in this guide

Project 2002 Login

Unfortunately I don't run the program on a Mac myself, if you have any problems with the guide just reply to the thread on our forums and someone will get back to you asap!
Thanks for the link. I checked it out and it's definitely missing some crucial steps. Either that or it assumes the reader is an expert Mac user, which I am definitely not. I posted in the tech help forums and hopefully I will get a reply.

From the look of the tech help forums, a few other people have had similar problems and have come to a dead end getting it to work. The server admins could definitely boost the server pop with a more thorough guide to install/operation. Something step by step and super explicit- with nothing left out or assumed.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
It isn't missing any steps. That's step by step, start to finish instructions. That code block in the post is the launcher script that I wrote for the TAKP server.

All you have to do is put the modified eqhosts.txt file in your resources folder, edit the launcher script that I created as instructed, and run it. You don't need to be a mac genius you just have to follow directions.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
It isn't missing any steps. That's step by step, start to finish instructions. That code block in the post is the launcher script that I wrote for the TAKP server.

All you have to do is put the modified eqhosts.txt file in your resources folder, edit the launcher script that I created as instructed, and run it. You don't need to be a mac genius you just have to follow directions.
Like I said, check the tech help forums, there are others who have dead-ended with the instructions in the same place I am dead-ending.

Regardless, I'm less interested in debating the efficacy of the instructions and more interested in getting this shit to work
wink.png

If you don't mind, check the tech help forums for my post there (same screen name) and see what you make of it. I would bring that info here, but I don't want to shit up this thread with tech help BS.

Again, I am a brand new Mac user, keep that in mind.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
I figured out what the problem was. The instructions provided here:Project 2002 Loginare only going to work for people who already have the EQ Mac client. If you get it from this thread (like me) you will have to make adjustments.

It's not difficult, but it took me a while to figure out. PM me and I can explain.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
You just had to edit one line of the launcher to specify Everquest Mac.app instead of EverQuest.app

Javvo_sl

shitlord
Re-affirming my offer for a PL. If you were thinking of doing the progression server but don't want to deal with the SoE (daybreak?) clown show, I will PL your 3-box combo to level 15 on this server in about 1 hour and give you 100pp to start with. I will PL you *if* you have a bard, wizard or mage to PBAoE tag with.

You can still farm Guise of the Deceiver and get your DE mask before Kunark launches. And about Kunark it'll be out in June. Some (very tentative) dates I've heard are between June 7th and 21st, so you'll have enough time to hit 50, and get yourself situated. The server is hoping for a November Velious launch from what I've heard. This server is really good and deserves more players, so take me up on the PL offer and don't give your money to SoE for an exp pot/augment infested shitshow.

edit: if you do want the PL, just shoot me a PM so we can set a time to meet and get it done real quick!

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Since I asked for a review earlier, I'll go ahead and give my own now that I've been playing for several weeks.

TL;DR: I've run the gamut with EQ Emu servers for more than a decade and this is probably the best original EQ option (other than P99). I won't get into why I'm not interested in P99 (because it's irrelevant to this review), but if you are looking for a sandbox to experience early EQ (that is not P99), this is a very good option.

The Good:

-The mechanics are solid and so is the database- so far. Things generally work like they are supposed to and I'm not 50 yet and there are lots of camps I haven't tried, but if the database/mechanics were significantly screwed up (like they are on a lot of emus), I would know about it by now.

-The experience rate is good. Not too fast, not too slow. It doesn't seem like the devs have done anything crazy yet, like screw around with resists, AC, melee damage, etc. Everything feels pretty legit.

-The community is small but friendly and growing larger. I was on P99 from opening day and this server reminds me of how that server started- i.e. slow. The GMs/Admins seem nice and hands-off. The impression I get from devs/admins is that they are mainly interested in creating an early EQ sandbox and letting people do what they want in it- which is exactly what I was looking for.

-The server is not religiously classic. It's basically a PoP era server with only classic zones open (and a few others). I put this in the "Good" column, because I don't think it needs to be religiously classic. In fact, I think it is better off with some of the stuff they left in. I happen to like the PoP era, personally. You can check out the server forums for a full list, but a few examples are they left newb armor quests in (which I like) and they allow Iksars and BLs even though Kunark hasn't technically opened. Both of these things are good imo. The thing to keep in mind is that this isn't the Titanium client. The client they use stopped in PoP era and in some ways that definitely makes this server feel a lot more classic than the emus based on Titanium.

-The server is fun. Like I said before, I was mainly looking for a classic EQ sandbox to mess around in. I wanted to take my time and do a lot of stuff I have never done in EQ or that I haven't done in a long time and it looks like this is a good place to do that, with no wonky mechanics, no patchy database, and no nazi GMs/Devs to worry about. My room mate and I are both 3-boxing (that's the boxing limit) to make a full group.

The Bad:

-It can be a pain in the ass to set up. Not horrible, but not super easy. It's actually easier to set up on a PC than a Mac. There are other issues that need to be fixed though. The native UI for the Windows client is strange and the text can be hard to read. There are problems with messages showing up (pet damage, etc), that you can fix just by going into the options menu and deselecting/reselecting all the text options. There are very few things that can't be worked around, but it does take a little time.

-It's not the Titanium client. I put this in both good and bad for a reason. The bad part is that there are some things you are probably used (if you play on Titanium-based emus) to that won't be here. Examples: you can't move forward/cast a spell from sitting without standing first. This sucks. It's been a pain in the ass relearning to hit /stand (or the hotbutton equivalent) before I move or cast a spell. Likewise, you can't /camp without hitting /sit first. Both of these things are manageable, but a pain in the ass. There are a few other things like not being able to stack quest turn ins, etc. Again, these things are actually truly classic, but a pain in the ass.

-There are some bugs/problems. Pathing is definitely off in lots of places. Mobs that shouldn't path into and kill each other. Mobs also occasionally path through walls or disappear. Nothing egregious, but it can be problematic. Some zones have issues. North and South Qeynos hitch fairly badly and the NPCs seem to have the bug where they stand rigid, arms and legs spread wide, and they hover an inch of the ground and float around that way. Considering the number of potential problems a server can have, though, I would rate this one as having relatively few bugs and none (so far) groundbreaking.

The Unknown:

-Hopefully the database and mechanics will hold as steady as they have so far as I spend more time on the server and go through more content. Nothing is more frustrating than to find out the mob you have been camping for days isn't itemized right or the spawn table doesn't even include that rare spawn you have been waiting for. So far, that hasn't been an issue here like it has on other servers.

-I have no idea how responsive server staff is to bug reports and GM help requests. I haven't had any issues severe enough to require either (which itself is a good sign), so I don't know if this is the type of server where if somethings broken the devs just ignore it, or they actually jump on it. Likewise, I haven't needed a GM for a stuck character or anything, so I can't speak to that.

Conclusion: I'm really picky about emu servers because I have wasted plenty of time on shitty ones (and don't plan to again). This server seems worth my time so far, which is pretty much the biggest compliment I can think to give it. Would recommend a try.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
I have to agree with Rellapse for once. Sounds like a TMO ego ran wild server.
The Mystical Order? I know a lot of my old pals were doing the p1999 thing a while back. Galamoth was part of the Fennin Ro crew back when I played. (I quit during LDON)

cant even sign up on forums, secret questions what expansion is after kunark, The Scars of Velious is my answer, no dice try Scars of Velious, no dice, attempt SoV no dice.

was going to play but maybe not

Iance_sl

shitlord
We apologize for the inconvenience caused by the misleading anti bot question, we have changed it to a different question that should be easier to answer!