Project 99 - Green Server announcement

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
They are going deep classic for this release, even bribing back the darkness of the night for humans and making infravision and ultravision useful (critical??) again.

If you want to play EQ like it was 15+ years ago, this is it.

• 1Barf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
That's amazing, I'm going human. Though blind, you get really nice colours that don't have that nasty blue tint mixed in.

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
Which is fine, once you are high enough level. I logged on the beta server last night and classic nighttime darkness is in. At 9pm the last bits of sun went away and I was plunged into almost pitch darkness in the wilderness.

classic

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I played some on test last night, it was indeed super cool.

I was lost in freeport. Remembered the layout somewhat but couldn't remember where the bags were.

I turned on music full blast haha. There's this really pretty song that plays at the north freeport bard guild, then all of a sudden it goes horribly wrong.

btw is there any way to tweak the sensitivity of the vertical mouse? It was really making me ill.

Deruvian

Lord Nagafen Raider
Jesus the original character creation. For all the shit these guys have gotten over the years, they really did the impossible. I remember when this was first released and it was poopooed as being too unclassic. Some bullshit vaporware website that mentioned linear algebra several times was supposedly the second coming. Unfortunately 2 days of math =/ a proper reincarnation of Everquest as we knew it in 1999. A decade later, the holy grail is finally upon us in its purest form. (I don't count the 'cannot alt tab Al'Kabor' multi box as this). I hope the RMT over the years somehow kept this running, because I can't otherwise fathom how the fuck anyone spent a thankless decade building this thing,. Thank god for it. Imagine if this content was just lost to the ages, what a fucking shame it would have been.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Do the Guk crocodiles still social? The one time I tried playing P99 the smallest divergences drove me up the wall.

• 1Picard

Ether

Lord Nagafen Raider
Do the Guk crocodiles still social? The one time I tried playing P99 the smallest divergences drove me up the wall.

Not sure on this specific thing but if any small inconsistency annoys you, you will not enjoy P99. It is the best recreation of Classic available but it is imperfect. They've done a great job scouring the web for patch notes and such but it will never be 100% the same. Having said that, if you play and notice something isn't as it was on live, and can find proof it was that way, post it on their forums and they will change it. Making changes based off peoples' memories obviously wouldn't work too well.

• 1Like

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
I don't count the 'cannot alt tab Al'Kabor' multi box as this

The reason why our client used to have issues with the alt key sticking when alt-tabbing is because we're using the actual client for the era which had disabled alt-tabbing out the game, consumed all of the machine's resources, locked the mouse cursor to the game, uses DirectX 8 etc. Working around those issues was/is challenging. As far as the client goes, we're more 'pure' than p99. Enjoy your mousewheel camera; we rejected adding it. That said I agree p99's community and leveling experience are more classic-like due to TAKP's PoP+boxing and P99 does a great job. I'll probably play on Green a little.

Incidentally Haynar works on both TAKP and P99's clients.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
The reason why our client used to have issues with the alt key sticking when alt-tabbing is because we're using the actual client for the era which had disabled alt-tabbing out the game, consumed all of the machine's resources, locked the mouse cursor to the game, uses DirectX 8 etc. Working around those issues was/is challenging. As far as the client goes, we're more 'pure' than p99. Enjoy your mousewheel camera; we rejected adding it. That said I agree p99's community and leveling experience are more classic-like due to TAKP's PoP+boxing and P99 does a great job. I'll probably play on Green a little.

Incidentally Haynar works on both TAKP and P99's clients.

TAKP was a blast and I (and lots of others) really appreciate all the work you guys put into it.

Deruvian

Lord Nagafen Raider
Sorry, I was drunk and didn't mean to denigrate the work done on TAKP. The effort you guys put into replicating the AC and resist tables, mobs spawns, etc is unbelievable. I honestly haven't played TAKP to any extent, but really enjoyed my time on Al'Kabor itself, despite the aforementioned complaints.

I think I was moreso trying to show my appreciation that the P99 guys had a tall task ahead of them and stuck with it over a very long period of time.

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
Remember to crank up that gamma for night vision bros!

Oh that wont work:

Once everything is patched in, gamma should do very little to assist with lighting. It will mostly washout the screen.

However, cranking up your gamma should be of limited benefit because of some steps we've taken. In dungeons and caves it will be completely useless and won't help you navigate at all.

The night will be dark and full of terrors....

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
1129314609498939397-png__700.jpg

Pogi.G

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Anyone have a safe link to download this?

Not sure if I can post a direct link to the titanium client on the message board here; however, send me a PM, and I’ll reply with a google drive link for the titanium ISOs. I have used it with several PCs without issue.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
They'll fix it eventually if it gets big reported, stuff like this

It WAS just a Beta before, inconsistencies we're gonna pop up *shrugs*

• 1Like

Deruvian

Lord Nagafen Raider
I forget which server it was, but one of these emulators had an annoying bug where the low level froglok guards in the dead side jail area would agro from a million miles away if you sat and would assist as if they were super high level. Always bugged the shit out of me.