Pruning the Politics thread for massive improvements, An experiment. (long read)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Implement the final solution by a skeleton

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wintermute

<Charitable Administrator>
Hello everyone a_skeleton_02 here,

I recently was given a one week shaw for not being as anti-semitic as I should of been, I recognize this now and will work to improve this in the future.

Before my temporary suspension I was working on a project and following Araysar Araysar 's suggestion I am now making a post. I am posting this in General as opposed to suggestions as this affects mainly the general posting populace.

Currently the Politics Thread is moving too fast for an average user to keep up and discussion on topics is stimed by frequent derails and trolls. Real discourse has been stamped out by a fast moving stream of thought style of posting that favors tweet and article links without discussion and short blunt replies.

I am proposing an experiment a week long thread ban of the following users Screamfeeder Screamfeeder Lendarios Lendarios Xequecal Xequecal Tolan Tolan from the politics channel. Our forum is based on the right to free speech and it is one of the last free speech zones on the internet this is something I am very proud of and I commend @a_skeleton_03 for keeping the good with the bad.

If i am pro free speech why am I asking for a thread ban of our "usual suspects" of left leaning posters? Because I am not censoring political opinions I am attempting to censor spam and forum slide.

It is my hypothesis that the above mentioned posters outside of any political leaning are having a negative effect on the politic thread through typical troll tactics and derails. I set out to prove this during my one week ban and I began to record posting habits.

Lendarios Lendarios Xequecal Xequecal and Tolan Tolan are neck and neck with each other with 47, 45 and 40 posts in a one week period in the politic channel with Screamfeeder Screamfeeder being a more of a drunken spree poster clocking in a miserable 5. The total amount of posts in my week absence was approx 2,000.

137 posts between 4 users in a sea of 2,000 is a drop in a bucket, that's 6.85% combined, it's insignificant.

I knew this number would be low as all four members are known "Parachute posters" coming in dropping a statement or link then vanishing until the next attempt. My main interest was the amount of replies a post from the mentioned users generates and this is where I was surprised. The average Lendarios Lendarios Xequecal Xequecal and Tolan Tolan post has an average reply count of 5, this includes quotes and sub quotes.

Something as innocuous as calling Tolan a Retard or long diatribes quoting something Xequecal said averages 5 insults or counter posts pertaining to the new topic post. I am not including posts made by users that are sharing the current topic. This force multiplier turns the 6.85% into a massive 34.25% of posts being posts or replies to the same four users.

In the past we have thread banned each one of these four individuals but you can see now how this in ineffective as the "reply force multiplier" can shift easily to one member to another. Consider the four posters as one entity if one is still around then they can and will (As a thread ban on a comrade will incite them to post more) disrupt the politic thread.

I propose that effective tomorrow Monday the 18th until the following Monday the 25th the four subjects get threadbans at the same time, We then monitor the flow of the thread and the discussions that happen. If the thread still has the same issues of lack of discussion and frequent derails then we unban them because they are just a part of a failed system but if the situation improves then we make the ban permanent.

Thank you for your time.

• 8Solidarity
  • 3Worf
  • 3Like
Reactions: 19 users

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
No. Just remind people about ignoring retarded posters.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Once people ignore the potatoes, they will stop reading the replies to those potatoes as those posts will no longer make sense.

• 3Like

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
I dont know what I just +1'd but using white nationalists to fight liberal racism sounds like a worthy cause.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

I recently was given a one week shaw for not being as anti-semitic as I should of been, I recognize this now and will work to improve this in the future.

Before my temporary suspension I was working on a project and following Araysar Araysar 's suggestion I am now making a post. I am posting this in General as opposed to suggestions as this affects mainly the general posting populace.

Currently the Politics Thread is moving too fast for an average user to keep up and discussion on topics is stimed by frequent derails and trolls. Real discourse has been stamped out by a fast moving stream of thought style of posting that favors tweet and article links without discussion and short blunt replies.

I am proposing an experiment a week long thread ban of the following users Screamfeeder Screamfeeder Lendarios Lendarios Xequecal Xequecal Tolan Tolan from the politics channel. Our forum is based on the right to free speech and it is one of the last free speech zones on the internet this is something I am very proud of and I commend @a_skeleton_03 for keeping the good with the bad.

If i am pro free speech why am I asking for a thread ban of our "usual suspects" of left leaning posters? Because I am not censoring political opinions I am attempting to censor spam and forum slide.

It is my hypothesis that the above mentioned posters outside of any political leaning are having a negative effect on the politic thread through typical troll tactics and derails. I set out to prove this during my one week ban and I began to record posting habits.

Lendarios Lendarios Xequecal Xequecal and Tolan Tolan are neck and neck with each other with 47, 45 and 40 posts in a one week period in the politic channel with Screamfeeder Screamfeeder being a more of a drunken spree poster clocking in a miserable 5. The total amount of posts in my week absence was approx 2,000.

137 posts between 4 users in a sea of 2,000 is a drop in a bucket, that's 6.85% combined, it's insignificant.

I knew this number would be low as all four members are known "Parachute posters" coming in dropping a statement or link then vanishing until the next attempt. My main interest was the amount of replies a post from the mentioned users generates and this is where I was surprised. The average Lendarios Lendarios Xequecal Xequecal and Tolan Tolan post has an average reply count of 5, this includes quotes and sub quotes.

Something as innocuous as calling Tolan a Retard or long diatribes quoting something Xequecal said averages 5 insults or counter posts pertaining to the new topic post. I am not including posts made by users that are sharing the current topic. This force multiplier turns the 6.85% into a massive 34.25% of posts being posts or replies to the same four users.

In the past we have thread banned each one of these four individuals but you can see now how this in ineffective as the "reply force multiplier" can shift easily to one member to another. Consider the four posters as one entity if one is still around then they can and will (As a thread ban on a comrade will incite them to post more) disrupt the politic thread.

I propose that effective tomorrow Monday the 18th until the following Monday the 25th the four subjects get threadbans at the same time, We then monitor the flow of the thread and the discussions that happen. If the thread still has the same issues of lack of discussion and frequent derails then we unban them because they are just a part of a failed system but if the situation improves then we make the ban permanent.

Thank you for your time.

I just put those four retards on ignore and it vastly improved my experience. Not everyone wants those guys banned, why force ban them when every person has the option to do as I did? You're making a choice for everyone due to other people's laziness. Nothing those guys do is worthy of banning permanently...they just get into retarded spam-fests sometimes cause they don't have good arguments for their dumb opinions so they try quantity > quality approach.

One could also argue that the guys constantly responding to them are just as potato as they are~

• 3Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 4 users

Tolan

Member of the Year 2016
<Banned>

Thank you for your time.
Phase 1: Claim we’re a free-speech based forum.

Phase 2: Increase our banning of left-based speech to keep free speech alive!

Phase 3: ???

Phase 4: Profit.

a_skeleton_02 new avatar:
1529277441566.jpeg

• 3Like
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 3 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
One could also argue that the guys constantly responding to them are just as potato as they are~
yep, potatoes gonna potate, the only way to stop potatoes is to stop watering them. if you're gonna ban those tards, their enablers should get thread bans too.

or better yet, cant we just /ignore the posts from people who reply to the potatoes on ignore?

• 4Like

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
no, if this was such an issue, 50% of them could have been given a mod job, but the votes don't seem to lean that way.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ShakyJake

<Donor>
No. Just remind people about ignoring retarded posters.
Not sure if it's been suggested, but would it be possible to ignore users for a particular thread? Sometimes I don't mind seeing their posts elsewhere but, for the Politics thread for instance, I'd rather hide their nonsense from appearing there.

• 2Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
That would be actual censorship, It is easier to remove 3 problem posts than punish the 100s of others that have been guilty of falling for their bait.

Wait what? You think not allowing people to post is ok...but allowing individuals to decide to ignore content is censorship? That's backwards homie.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity

Xequecal

Trump's Staff
That would be actual censorship, It is easier to remove 3 problem posts than punish the 100s of others that have been guilty of falling for their bait.

I'd still really like to know how any reasonable person can come to the conclusion that my views are so insane far left that they can't be real and as such I must be trolling. Do you ever, like, go outside? Is it the fact that I choose to post as the liberal on an overwhelmingly conservative (or if you prefer, as the progressive on an overwhelmingly classical liberal) board and accept getting dogpiled that elevates my posts to trolling?

Trolling is when you pretend to support a position that you don't actually support for the sole purpose of pissing off people. My views are not made up, I am not trolling.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Not sure if it's been suggested, but would it be possible to ignore users for a particular thread? Sometimes I don't mind seeing their posts elsewhere but, for the Politics thread for instance, I'd rather hide their nonsense from appearing there.

That would be pretty cool. I've seen some funny shit from Scream and Xeq in other threads, but seeing them in politics just isn't worth it. I'd use that feature for sure.

• 1Solidarity

Tolan

Member of the Year 2016
<Banned>
yep, potatoes gonna potate, the only way to stop potatoes is to stop watering them. if you're gonna ban those tards, their enablers should get thread bans too.

or better yet, cant we just /ignore the posts from people who reply to the potatoes on ignore?
“The people hiding the Jews should be sent to the camps too.”

• 1Potato
  • 1Like

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I'm usually several hundreds pages behind in Politics thread (and that, even with skipping a few hundred every now and again). I do agree those 4 posters are disingenuous in a lot of their posting which makes shit frustrating. But outright banning? Isn't that what infractions are for. If they keep trolling and earning infractions, won't it sort itself out?

• 1Like
Status
Not open for further replies.