Rate Movies You've Recently Watched.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Rewatched Last Action Hero and goddamn do I miss 90s action movies. It's so cheesy but it's still goddamn amazing. Also I didn't know Danny DeVito was in the movie, also Tywin Lannister and Gandolf are in this movie mind fucking blown.

Also has one of the best movie soundtracks of the time.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Watched Jade 3/10 - Quite literally a bootleg Basic Instinct. Set in San Francisco, follows a detective who has the brass riding his ass, the murderer is a educated person who studies criminality, "twist" ending etc. Overall story is incredibly meh, main character is just kind of there as things happen around him all the while the plot is just way too out there.

Rewatched Last Action Hero and goddamn do I miss 90s action movies. It's so cheesy but it's still goddamn amazing. Also I didn't know Danny DeVito was in the movie, also Tywin Lannister and Gandolf are in this movie mind fucking blown.
IMO movies pre 21st century are elevated now simply because the general sjw mindset/tone that infest everything today is absent in almost all of them.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>

Two things jump out to me:

1) The IMDB rating is lower than I would rate it. 4.6 / 10 seems pretty harsh and it isn't nearly that bad.
2) The IMDB reviews seem paid for and hardcore shills rating it 10 / 10 which it certainly is not.

Low budget British SciFi Drama about a guy that ends up with a way to communicate with the dead. They don't dive in to the science or get caught up in trying to really explain it any more than the plots needs. A lot of drama though concerning his missing daughter and using it to contact her. Drama with the wife and their social circle. It isn't fast paced or anything and can drag, but at 1hr 30m it doesn't get too boring.

6 / 10 for me, maybe 6.5 on the whole low budge scale. It is definitely better than a lot of the low tier stuff I watch.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Watched Jade 3/10 - Quite literally a bootleg Basic Instinct. Set in San Francisco, follows a detective who has the brass riding his ass, the murderer is a educated person who studies criminality, "twist" ending etc. Overall story is incredibly meh, main character is just kind of there as things happen around him all the while the plot is just way too out there.

IMO movies pre 21st century are elevated now simply because the general sjw mindset/tone that infest everything today is absent in almost all of them.
I saw Jade when I came out. It hasn't aged all that well. I think it was better than a 3 when it came out. The car chase is pretty well shot. I watched it a few months ago. I would give it a 5 these days.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I rewatched Debbie Does Dallas last night, the movie still holds up 10/10.

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I saw Jade when I came out. It hasn't aged all that well. I think it was better than a 3 when it came out. The car chase is pretty well shot. I watched it a few months ago. I would give it a 5 these days.
To me it came off as too much along with the governor sending multiple hit squads after notable people for whats supposed to be a grounded murder mystery movie. Set the chase along the pacific coast highway and its more believable.

Also rewatched Alien Resurrection. The special edition has quite possible one of the most bizarre intro sequences in the history of movies, even more out there than the cgi scorpions fighting in 3000 miles to graceland;

Last edited:
  • 1WTF
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
To me it came off as too much along with the governor sending multiple hit squads after notable people

Hillary Clinton Lol GIF

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>

Pretty awesome Asylum flick. Total shlock and camp. I tried to do Planet Dune but it was too bad even for me. This one was 8/10 though.

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
Citizen X. Sutherland/Rea. About the search for USSR's most notorious serial killer. Solid old timey flick.
Before I watched I Saw The Devil, Citizen X was probably my favorite serial killer-themed movie of all time.

Considering this was based on a real story and person, it was especially chilling. Rea does an amazing job portraying the frustrated detective working in the ridiculous Soviet political system trying to find a child killer over so many years.

Nice reminder! I need to find this somewhere and rewatch.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Fun serial killer movies, Behind the Mask:The Rise of Lesley Vernon. 8.5/10 . Very original and funny.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
Last night I finished watching The Devil All The Time.

It was decent, the acting was actually pretty good. Pattinson did an amazing job as the creepy minister, his voice acting was top notch. I really think Tom Holland is an underrated actor. I feel like his young looks and small stature (he is small, isn't he?) tend to typecast him a bit, which is too bad because I think he has the potential to do great things on the big screen. I am a fan.

It was slow at times, and I saw the last 15 mins or so of the movie coming a mile away, but it was definitely watchable. 7/10.

• 2Like

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
Last night I finished watching The Devil All The Time.

It was decent, the acting was actually pretty good. Pattinson did an amazing job as the creepy minister, his voice acting was top notch. I really think Tom Holland is an underrated actor. I feel like his young looks and small stature (he is small, isn't he?) tend to typecast him a bit, which is too bad because I think he has the potential to do great things on the big screen. I am a fan.

It was slow at times, and I saw the last 15 mins or so of the movie coming a mile away, but it was definitely watchable. 7/10.
FGgvYumXIAAiDLu.jpg

• 1WTF
  • 1Like

Fucker

Log Wizard
Before I watched I Saw The Devil, Citizen X was probably my favorite serial killer-themed movie of all time.

Considering this was based on a real story and person, it was especially chilling. Rea does an amazing job portraying the frustrated detective working in the ridiculous Soviet political system trying to find a child killer over so many years.

Nice reminder! I need to find this somewhere and rewatch.
It is on HBO and TPB.

• 2Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>

3/10

Fucker

Log Wizard
The French Dispatch. Horrible. Turned it off 1/3 into it.

Wes Anderson needs to find a different drum to beat to death.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>

All the talk about Bruce Willis in the other thread got my wanting to check out some of the bargain basement straight to DVD movies he's been phoning in. Apex really kicked things off and only almost made me want to kill myself.

It is a "Surviving the Game" or Man-hunts-man idea where a bunch of ultra rich are teleported to an island to hunt someone who is the Prey. Why are they teleported there and why does teleportation exist? Why do holograms exist? I think there's some future plot going on there but it isn't at all relevant and the technology adds nothing to the movie. So washed up Bruce Willis plays washed up Bruce Willis who is the mostest dangerous prey ever recruited to the island. He's wanted in 50,000 states and committed 100,000 offenses and has been in solitary confinement with no interaction with another human being in 7 years. Why is this relevant? It isn't. Neal McDonough plays the Apex Hunter out of the group. He's an annoying caricature of a know it all zen murderer. Boring. He's also lost a lot of weight in his face and looks like a middle aged Rob Lowe. It is really unnerving in some scenes.

Haven't read anything about this but I have a couple of theories and observations.

1) I am not 100% but there is no clear scene in the movie where Bruce Willis actually appears alongside another actor. Almost positive all his scenes were filmed alone and edited to look like he was on the set and filming with them. Any shot that would include Bruce + 1 is from behind and obscuring his face. Otherwise scenes are single individual cuts between the two having a conversation. Even with Neal McDonough. Which brings me to...

2) Was this supposed to be a completely different movie? And they salvaged it by splicing scenes of Bruce Willis in? Like was there something on the cutting room floor and Bruce needed a couple of bucks and sold 30 minutes of his day to go film some post production scenes on a set to score some free coffee and a sandwich? Very strange.

I mean no one else is going to watch this so... Bruce basically doesn't even kill anyone. He convinces them all to kill each other. This minimizes his interactions with the other actors so most of the "action" takes places with people who were actually filming together. It is also a huge island and the whole thing takes place over the course of a day. And they just teleport to a bland living room to talk and then back out in to the woods. Then to a room with firearms. Then the woods. Always magically next to "not there" Bruce Willis.

Megan Peta Hill was cool to see if you ever watched iZombie, Supernatural, X-Files (2016), The Flash, Riverdale. She's one of those chick of the week guest stars. In fact almost every supporting member is a TV Series person with few to no films. Except one guy who was one of the writers of this trash.

The director, Edward Drake, did another movie with Bruce called Cosmic Sin which I'll probably watch next. It has three of the same supporting cast also (Corey Large [writer], Trevor Gretzky, and Lochlyn Munro (budget Bronn).

I expect great things.

3/10; +/-1

• 2Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member

All the talk about Bruce Willis in the other thread got my wanting to check out some of the bargain basement straight to DVD movies he's been phoning in. Apex really kicked things off and only almost made me want to kill myself.

It is a "Surviving the Game" or Man-hunts-man idea where a bunch of ultra rich are teleported to an island to hunt someone who is the Prey. Why are they teleported there and why does teleportation exist? Why do holograms exist? I think there's some future plot going on there but it isn't at all relevant and the technology adds nothing to the movie. So washed up Bruce Willis plays washed up Bruce Willis who is the mostest dangerous prey ever recruited to the island. He's wanted in 50,000 states and committed 100,000 offenses and has been in solitary confinement with no interaction with another human being in 7 years. Why is this relevant? It isn't. Neal McDonough plays the Apex Hunter out of the group. He's an annoying caricature of a know it all zen murderer. Boring. He's also lost a lot of weight in his face and looks like a middle aged Rob Lowe. It is really unnerving in some scenes.

Haven't read anything about this but I have a couple of theories and observations.

1) I am not 100% but there is no clear scene in the movie where Bruce Willis actually appears alongside another actor. Almost positive all his scenes were filmed alone and edited to look like he was on the set and filming with them. Any shot that would include Bruce + 1 is from behind and obscuring his face. Otherwise scenes are single individual cuts between the two having a conversation. Even with Neal McDonough. Which brings me to...

2) Was this supposed to be a completely different movie? And they salvaged it by splicing scenes of Bruce Willis in? Like was there something on the cutting room floor and Bruce needed a couple of bucks and sold 30 minutes of his day to go film some post production scenes on a set to score some free coffee and a sandwich? Very strange.

I mean no one else is going to watch this so... Bruce basically doesn't even kill anyone. He convinces them all to kill each other. This minimizes his interactions with the other actors so most of the "action" takes places with people who were actually filming together. It is also a huge island and the whole thing takes place over the course of a day. And they just teleport to a bland living room to talk and then back out in to the woods. Then to a room with firearms. Then the woods. Always magically next to "not there" Bruce Willis.

Megan Peta Hill was cool to see if you ever watched iZombie, Supernatural, X-Files (2016), The Flash, Riverdale. She's one of those chick of the week guest stars. In fact almost every supporting member is a TV Series person with few to no films. Except one guy who was one of the writers of this trash.

The director, Edward Drake, did another movie with Bruce called Cosmic Sin which I'll probably watch next. It has three of the same supporting cast also (Corey Large [writer], Trevor Gretzky, and Lochlyn Munro (budget Bronn).

I expect great things.

3/10; +/-1
Don't do it. I think Elvis covers three stinkers here. I had Cosmic Sin on my To Watch list and oh man, did I remove it quickly after watching this.

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
Shimmer Lake.

Netflix's bank robbing with a tweeest semi-dark comedy that is shown moving backwards in time....so the TWEEEEST is at the start (end of the film).

I say semi-dark because it was billed as a "dark comedy" and it was not funny at all. I chuckled once, seriously.

The interesting thing is that this movie actually has a host of comedic actors in it, all trying to be serious and let a little comedy seep through as they investigate/commit crime, but they all do a terrible job, except the lead who is actually really good.

It was okay. I watched it all, that says something, didn't fast forward once. It was also probably the shortest movie I have watched this year. Maybe 5/10.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user