Rate Movies You've Recently Watched.

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
The Night Watchmen 5.5/10. It's a b movie that is happy being just that.

A clown vampire takes over, night watchmen fight back. Kinda stupidly funny and cliched. I would have given this a 6 but what little nudity there is isn't that good.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Texas Killing Fields. Based on historical cop shit. Not great, not terrible. Good cast. 6.5/10.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
The Night Watchmen 5.5/10. It's a b movie that is happy being just that.

A clown vampire takes over, night watchmen fight back. Kinda stupidly funny and cliched. I would have given this a 6 but what little nudity there is isn't that good.
Dude I love that movie. It's a B movie but it's like an 8.5/10 B movie.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Szlia

Catching up with some anime feature films of the last few years after seeing a few big ones that were borderline garbage (Demon Slayer, Jujutsu Kaisen 0, the latest Detective Conan and, to a lesser degree, Belle). Saw The Night is Short, Walk on Girl and Ride Your Wave which were pretty good and original but not great, but it's Children of the Sea that made me post here. It's a coming of age story that takes a hard turn toward the supernatural of the cosmogonic folk tale variety. It's packed full of pseudo-philosophical mumbo jumbo, but it is so visually impressive and extreme in its choices that it washes aside all possible reservations. Quite literally an outstanding film.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Watched a few movies in the last couple of months.

The Time Machine (2001 remake) - Enjoyed this way more than I expected, a lot of that is how good of an actor Guy Pearce is. It'll probably end up being kind of forgettable, like most 2000s remakes of classics, but while it was on I liked it and liked all the nods it had to the original movie. Unfortunately no "end of the world with gigantic crustaceans" scene like the book had. That scene still hasn't made it into any of the movies.

Nope - Saw this in a theater, really liked it. Was pretty slow for a while late in the movie and I nearly fell asleep, but it maintained suspense pretty well. Peele is turning into the modern version of Hitchcock, aside from that terrible recent Twilight Zone show (not sure how much of that he actually wrote).

Jojo Rabbit - A really strong movie, taken on its own, with memorable characters and some emotional moments. Basically a WW2 farce comedy along the lines of The Great Dictator, only focused on a confused kid in the Hitlerjugend. It's unfortunate that it was overshadowed a bit by Movie Journalists making it about modern politics, and doing that "the movie we need right now" thing. The movie who needs? I feel like I'm not included in their "we". Regardless, this was simply a good movie, never got preachy, and Taika Waititi got kicked out a window. Say what you will about the man but he has no problem being the butt of the joke.

Iron Sky - Another Nazi movie, this one older (2012). Another comedy farce, except not intelligent like the previous one. While Jojo didn't have any overt modern politics in it, Iron Sky came right out with the "republicans are basically nazis lol" stuff. Kind of ballsy for 2012, before it was cool to be overt with it. I really didn't like this one, and it felt like it was very much made for simpletons. It took a great concept (what if Nazis fled to the moon and built an advanced society there, then came back for vengeance) and did almost nothing with it. I want to see how their technological development differs from ours after 80 years of separation. Instead it ended up being a generic "spaceship versus spaceship" battle. The female nazi protagonist realizes the error of her ways when she bumps into some modern skinheads and they act like dicks. Really? Some guys are mean to her and she realizes her worldview is bad? Like I said, it's a movie for simpletons. Also has President Sarah Palin who co-opts the nazi propaganda strategies and ends up putting all of America in pseudo-swastika armbands and everyone just sorta goes along with it. In what universe was that a thing that had any possibility of happening? You have to at least change the color scheme up a little bit to fool people. What a stupid fucking movie. At least the women were hot. The nazi protagonist is super cute, and Palin's chief of staff is this evil Olivia Munn looking chick with heaving breasts. There's a sequel but no.

Conan the Barbarian - This made no impression on me, barely even remember it now. A younger Jason Momoa was solid for the role, for sure, but I don't think he had much to work with. It doesn't help that I was distracted for most of the movie getting paperwork done.

Bill and Ted trilogy - Never saw these before. Wasn't that into any of them, felt kinda like a lesser version of Wayne's World. The second one was particularly dumb. At least George Carlin was a joy, and they had a nice little nod to his absence in the third one. I'm not sure how I feel about them gender-swapping Lil' Bill and Lil' Ted into girls in the third one. Superheroes are one thing, but gender-swapping babies?

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Rising Sun - 4/10. A murder thriller that tries a little too hard to be smart and sophisticated. Its like the exact opposite of Black Rain story wise but without that 80s sheen.

Men In Black 3 - 7/10. Josh Brolin did a pretty good job playing a young Tommy Lee Jones/K.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Rising Sun - 4/10. A murder thriller that tries a little too hard to be smart and sophisticated. Its like the exact opposite of Black Rain story wise but without that 80s sheen.

Men In Black 3 - 7/10. Josh Brolin did a pretty good job playing a young Tommy Lee Jones/K.
I always liked Rising Sun. It had a little more relevance when it came out with the Japa buying up everything in the US.
"Senpai, Maipai, apple pie. It all sounds like Massa to me".

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>
It had a little more relevance when it came out with the Japa buying up everything in the US.
Thats a under lying theme in a huge number of 80s and early 90s movies.

Back to the Future
Blade Runner
Die Hard
Black Rain
Robocop

etc.

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Kind of want to re-watch The Producers because it has been decades since seeing that and Springtime for Hitler is great.
I cried laughing at multiple parts of that movie the first time I saw it. I still have no idea why, but Ferris Bueller's meltdown over his blanket had me rolling.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>
The Score 5/10 - Paint by numbers heist movie. Hilariously miscast, Robert Deniro plays a Canadian from Montreal who has a black girlfriend.

Goatface

The Last Victim 4/10
1659794767187.png

starts out good, if it just stayed a cop vs bad guy would probably been ok, but once ali later shows, it drops off a cliff.

Goatface

The Martian extended + deleted scenes 9/10
got the extended ver right after watching the theatrical cut and forgot about it. really like the extra scenes. as for the deleted scenes, the one with the crew sleeping arrangements probably should have been added. the ship/bench scene was rightfully cut.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Lawrence of Arabia - 9/10. Oldie but goodie I somehow hadn't seen until recently. The brits in it don't have thick snobby accents like they all do today which was pleasantly surprising.

Are you stupid? That era (both time film was shot and time it was set) was peak Received Pronunciation, which is associated with the British Upper Class. It's also the accent that spawned the "trans-atlantic" Hollywood accent of the same era which attempted to emulate RP.

Very few, if any, British actors are still using RP unless it's called for e.g in The Crown or similar

Break

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Are you stupid? That era (both time film was shot and time it was set) was peak Received Pronunciation, which is associated with the British Upper Class. It's also the accent that spawned the "trans-atlantic" Hollywood accent of the same era which attempted to emulate RP.

Very few, if any, British actors are still using RP unless it's called for e.g in The Crown or similar
Stupid like a fox: Maybe it's not the pronunciation as much as the enunciation. I've noticed it many times now, older british shows for some reason are a lot easier (for me) to understand the dialogue than new ones. And heaven help us if they have bonafide scotsmen involved.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Stupid like a fox: Maybe it's not the pronunciation as much as the enunciation. I've noticed it many times now, older british shows for some reason are a lot easier (for me) to understand the dialogue than new ones. And heaven help us if they have bonafide scotsmen involved.
Fucking Tom Hardy if he isnt using his bad American accent is nearly incomprehensible.

• 1Solidarity

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser

well yes, because regional accents tend to "compress" pronunciation by dropping sounds/letters, using more slang etc. But you specifically said "snobby" accents when it is RP that is associated with the upper class

Goatface

Code Name Banshee 3/10
think antonio banderas was doing maybe a irish accent, don't know sounded like he was just mumbling most of the time. think i am more annoyed by the fact the ending
sets up a sequel

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
Shattered Glass is an excellent portrait of a pathological liar. Hayden Christensen actually gives a really good performance which is further proof of how badly written/produced the Star Wars prequels were. Peter Sarsgaard is great also, but he always is. And the fact that it's based on a true story makes it even more interesting. It's free to watch on Youtube.