Rate Movies You've Recently Watched.

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
The Flash

Wasn't expecting much. It was sort of a love letter to DC's 1980's films. Not a bad plot when it was pulling at the mommy's apron/heartstrings. It did get a little off-the-rails into the multiverse during t he last third of the movie. Honestly, I think that's where the movie fell apart. As much as it had a solid cast of DC all-stars, the main character was so obviously gay. I am surprised that they didn't run with that theme. There were a lot of Flashes, right, so calling him "they" would be appropriate, right? (Okay-- I am going off on a tangent).

The movie was entertaining until the last third. It went about as far as any movie can go riding on nostalgia. I don't know shit about the Flash comic book character, but I can't imagine that the timey-wimey stuff that he was able to do would make his character interesting. It would need to have some immediate devastating effect or you would get what the last third of the movie got (which is a lot less interesting than just dealing with characters and a plot). It was no Lathe of Heaven (although it tried to be).

The bottom line- it was a movie with a little too much fan-boy/crossover crap that I couldn't appreciate. Not sure why they tried to wedge in a female love interest. That was unhelpful and, in a movie that required a tremendous amount of suspending disbelief, that was the MOST unbelievable element. Barry was clearly gay...

Worth the price of admission ($5 matinee at the second-run theater that only shows ONE movie at a time)!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The True History of the Kelly Gang - 7/10 Never heard of Ned Kelly before, but saw this movie pop up on Hulu. Gave it a watch due to Russell Crowe being in it. Really great movie. Great cinematography and really well acted. Its a slow burn leading up to the third act, but I recommend it. Interesting story that made me look up more about him.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The True History of the Kelly Gang - 7/10 Never heard of Ned Kelly before, but saw this movie pop up on Hulu. Gave it a watch due to Russell Crowe being in it. Really great movie. Great cinematography and really well acted. Its a slow burn leading up to the third act, but I recommend it. Interesting story that made me look up more about him.
Was that the guy wearing plate armor or something similar killing aborigines?

• 1Worf

lurker

Vyemm Raider
Gotta be better than this version

14333187053-XL.jpg

• 1WTF
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
That was an unfortunate trend, it was thought that for an Australian film to have appeal on the international market it needed an international star.

But having Mick Jagger . . . not that good an actor.

There was another film made based on one of Australia's most famous pieces of poetry 'The man from Snowy River' and they got Kirk Douglas in and he damn well played 2 different characters.

Thank god a little film about a Road Warrior came along and proved that what you need is a good film

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
That was an unfortunate trend, it was thought that for an Australian film to have appeal on the international market it needed an international star.

But having Mick Jagger . . . not that good an actor.

There was another film made based on one of Australia's most famous pieces of poetry 'The man from Snowy River' and they got Kirk Douglas in and he damn well played 2 different characters.

Thank god a little film about a Road Warrior came along and proved that what you need is a good film

Rabbit Proof Fence was the only other Australian film I was familiar with. And that is really only because of Peter Gabriel doing the soundtrack. Haven’t watched that since it came out. Maybe we need to do an Australian week at the house.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Radius: interesting low budget sci-fi-lite thriller. Don't get a lot of answers but the central conceit (everyone dies within a certain radius of the lead) is interesting and the film does a decent job at not making characters act stupid to create drama. 6.5ish/10.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
got around to Encanto. What a bizarre movie. No conflict at all.

songs were hit or miss. a couple ok. even those could have used more time on the burner.

boo hoo, I'm not special, the rest of my family is. Boo hoo, I'm special and thats stressful. Boohoo, Im special and thats stressful. stop trying manage the family! boohoo, I was trying so hard to keep us special, I forgot that family is what makes us special. the end.

an entire host of subservient townsfolk. never touches on where the magic actually comes from. or any dangers from the outside world. Even the grandmothers deal is barely existent. like hell, Mr. Banks in Mary poppins is way more harsh, and such to need intervention.

Movie just singing with no plot.
5/10.

Feels like ammunition in the gun of people that think childrens movies just need noise, and have no bar for quality. Clearly they have a point..
My child said he liked the house and the movie would be better if it was just the house and Bruno

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Watched Edge of Tomorrow again last night.

God damn Emily Blunt is hot.

• 7Solidarity
  • 3Like
Reactions: 9 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Watched the Total Recall 2012 - 3/10. Only thing this movie had going for it was imagining Jessica Biel simping for you all the while your crazy ex is Kate Beckensale. Also possibly one of the extremely few cases of whitewashing with Biel playing Milena. Overall the story is pretty stupid. People can build a gravity train through the Earth and crazy flying cities kilometers tall yet somehow the only way to acquire more suitable land is to go genocide people on the other side of the planet and take their shitty land? That and the whole aesthetic design was a mess no vision just a bunch of stuff piled up on top of everything.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
The portable door. cute fantasy adventure. Its on mgm+ free with prime video.
7/10. no complaints. very recommend for light family friendly adventure. similar to color of magic, dirk gently, stardust.

Apparently had theatrical in Australia. direct to streaming on UK and US.

Watched this tonight and was exactly how you described. Easy no fuss PG family fantasy thing.

Had no idea it was a book series. It did feel like a lot of the world building was skipped over, and that there was potential. Maybe the books continue to build on it. Might check a couple of them out for fun.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>

Had this on in the background today griding some work stuff and in between hours of calls. I'd say the 3.5/10 on IMDB is a little harsh for what it was. It isn't great but there was some potential. I think the biggest culprit is the music. The movie would have worked much better as a quieter final girl trope, but with the constant oppressive and overwhelming background score it detracts from any atmosphere the movie is trying to portray. It is just ALWAYS there and it sounds like the most generic and bland free to use score.

I mean, the acting is bad, real bad, but it really probably could have been a decent 5 or 6 outta 10 indie thriller film.

Conversely I only made it about an hour in to this one and gave up. It was real bad.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Mario Movie…

It wasn’t bad, I guess, just extremely underwhelming for what a big Mario movie could have been. Thought it was way worse than Lego Movie or Wreck it Ralph. 6.5/10 ?

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
1691870314676.png

Just saw Enter the Dragon at the cinema for a 50th Anniversary re-release.

Have seen it countless times since I was a big Bruce Lee fan in my youth but haven't watched it for a while. Genuinely enjoyed seeing it on a big screen, was kind of surprised at how fast paced it is.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Been doing a lot of grinding out data entry and reports for work so have pretty much kept bad horror movies on rotation in a side window.

Started off with:

Pretty terrible. 1.9/10 is REALLY bad but it probably isn't better than 3.5/10.

But it did start me down this rabbit hole of the actors, directors, and writers that all end up working together in a ton of these films. Which led me to watch:

I think we actually discussed Cupid a year or two ago... It is probably actually the best out of these. This Bao Tieu guy plays all the evil characters in these, it is pretty crazy. But so many people are just recycled and they come out like 4 a year. They're terrible! Going to go through the Tooth Fairy series next probably.

However, I did find one gem that I thoroughly enjoyed. Was recommended by a guy on Discord in a channel I hang out in for another game.

I thought this was actually really good and the 5.4/10 rating is way lower than it deserves. The mom played by Zoe Kazan (granddaughter of Elia Kazan) is a total trash of a mom. It is real unpleasant at times but then seeing her struggle with her daughter.. then the whole Monster in the woods thing pops up. It is partially about alcoholism and drugs and partly about an actual monster in the woods. Maybe that is why it got lower reviews? Because it isn't quite fully either movie type. Also I was just coming off watching some really really bad movies. I thought this was a solid 6.5/10.

Aaron Douglas is in it also. Tyrol from Battlestar Galactica

I need to start an "Adventure in C(minus) maybe F(plus) Movie Watching" thread.

• 2Like