Rate Movies You've Recently Watched.

spronk

FPS noob
watched Huntsman Winter's War (Extended) for date night, really enjoyed it. Basically fairy tale story sequel to the first one, without the baggage of Kirsten Stewart / Snow White and more like "evil Frozen". Emily Blunt and Jessica Chastain are new to the story and fun to watch, especially Jessica's ludicrous Scottish accent. Just like the first one, Charlize Theron steals the movie with all her scenes, overacting like she is channeling Khan from Star Trek 2. 8/10, but only because I absolutely love fairy tale movies and shows, probably 6/10 as just a movie-movie.

It was a completely unnecessary sequel and really was a weird thing to inject into the Snow White classic story, but after a string of utterly crap comic book and action movies this year, it was nice to at least get a simple story. Really, really simple story.

There is a brief 20 second post credit scene.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I dont know if extended was better but the theatrical version I watched was complete shit

• 1Solidarity

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I dont know if extended was better but the theatrical version I watched was complete shit
Same. I believe I gave a brief review of it on the other site, lemme see.

Yeah, here we go:
Emily Blunt instead of Kristen Stewart should normally make for a better movie. In this case, even she couldn't save it. It sucked, had forced humor/characters that didn't work at all, and had a "twist" you saw coming a mile away. Charlize Theron looked great as always, and is a great Evil Queen, but she's not even in it much. I'm not sure Emily Blunt is really cut out to play a villain either, much as I love her.

Even if you're a huge fan of Thor this movie pretty much sucks. His accent makes me think he watched Braveheart and was trying to copy it (badly), and the way they made him act (bafflingly cheerful most of the time, even when there was no reason to be) was just off-putting.

Oh, and terrible dwarves. Turrible. Save your time.

• 1Solidarity

Pumpkin Thief

Went on a Coscarelli bender, watched Bubba Hotep and the Phantasm movies again in preparation for Phantasm: Ravager. Coscarelli is king of getting some interesting things done with a shoestring budget. I wouldn't say the old Phantasm movies hold their original scare/creepy factor from when I was a kid, but they're still fun to watch. 7/10 for Coscarelli's creativity and inventiveness.

Also watched Cemetery Man. Twice. I liked it very much but it baffled the shit out of me, so I cranked up the Google and looked at what a few other people took away from it and re-watched it. Was like watching a different movie. Very bizarre and different - like an Italian David Lynch film. 8/10

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
ID regurgance: 2/10
Sicario: 8/10
Jadon bourne: 5/10

• 1Like

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Went on a Coscarelli bender, watched Bubba Hotep and the Phantasm movies again in preparation for Phantasm: Ravager. Coscarelli is king of getting some interesting things done with a shoestring budget. I wouldn't say the old Phantasm movies hold their original scare/creepy factor from when I was a kid, but they're still fun to watch. 7/10 for Coscarelli's creativity and inventiveness.

Also watched Cemetery Man. Twice. I liked it very much but it baffled the shit out of me, so I cranked up the Google and looked at what a few other people took away from it and re-watched it. Was like watching a different movie. Very bizarre and different - like an Italian David Lynch film. 8/10
Hah I'm watching Phantasm II right now.

I'm also a huge fan of Cemetery Man. I love that movie.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hosix

All labs matter!
Aliens is on rightnow. Such an amazing movie on so many levels.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Fippy Darkpaw

Molten Core Raider
Just watched Robot and Frank for the second time to show it to some friends. It's a great movie and you should watch it if you have a heart.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
Blu ray rips are out and so saw Jungle Book (2016) today, to screen for grandkids visits later this year. Absolutely loved it, simple story but the star is the kid actor and the CGI. It is absolutely insane how realistic every animal looks and moves. Like this shit is way past real and is in the "maybe reality is not real" territory. Voice acting was also top notch and some real stellar moments there. 9/10 easy. Probably going to wait for grandkids to be a little older though, some of the stuff seems a bit too scary for kids under 5. Jon Favreau directed this movie btw, guy definitely shows a lot of range and talent.

Also interesting is that Jungle Book 2 (prequel I think?) has been fast-tracked for 2018 release, and that Andy Serkis has his own Jungle Book live action set for 2017 or 2018 but its hard to see how that isn't going to be judged badly against this one.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Hosix

All labs matter!
I will second on Jungle Book. The CGI is great and the story moves along well. Bill Murray kills it as the bear. My kids loved it and they are both under 10.

• 1Solidarity

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Great to hear my favorite Disney Villain is Shere Khan.

Also

Spinal Tap 11/11

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Szlia

I have a pile of DVD to watch and several film I want to see in theaters but the 'oh what is this?' effect when flipping through the TV guide made me watch:

Gambling Lady (5/10): A 1934 film by Archie Mayo with Barbara Stanwyck as a street-wise professional card player who does not cheat who falls for a guy from a rich family... Plot wise, just about everything is lame and formally it's nothing special. The only thing of note is Stanwyck's poise as the titular character.

• 1Solidarity

Blackyce

Silver Knight of the Realm
Star Was Despecialized Edition

One of my gaming friends and I were talking about Rogue One coming up this December so I decided to watch the Despecialized Edition I have on my computer. Man how I love this movie. The John Williams sound track just makes this movie incredible in my opinion. The scene just before Luke finds out that R2 has run away where he's looking at the double sunset and his music plays or when he races home to find Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru murdered or when Ben sees Luke running to the Falcon and puts his lightsabre up and Vader turns him into a force ghost. Just some of my favorite emotion gripping scenes really due to his beautiful score.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

DaliLhama

Golden Squire
X-Men:Apocalypse 0/10 holy fuck.....there was nothing and i mean nothing good about this movie. How do you fuck this up like this....i really didnt give a fuck what happened after Magneto was floating and was just doing stuff and i said ah fuck this and then watched Shaolin Soccer 10/10 and actually like the American Version over the Chinese Version.

• 1Solidarity

Homsar

Apocalypse was terrible and so was BVS. I will say out of that out of the superhero films recently Suicide Squad isnt the worst. It's not worth ticket price but it doesnt deserve a rating lower than X-men or BvS.

• 1Solidarity

Croetec

Lord Nagafen Raider
Let me tell you about terrible....take my mother to a movie on her birthday and she's set in stone on seeing Nine Lives. Movies like this caused the holocaust.

• 1Solidarity

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Apocalypse was terrible and so was BVS. I will say out of that out of the superhero films recently Suicide Squad isnt the worst. It's not worth ticket price but it doesnt deserve a rating lower than X-men or BvS.
Xmen apoc is waaaaaay worse than BvS.
No redeeming qualities at all.

• 1Solidarity

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
BvS was fucking horrid but I agree Xmen apoc was worse. What's amazing is the people involved with making them are probably patting each other on the backs and jerking each other off because they still made money. I just don't get how you take prime source material and fuck it up.. It should be almost impossible to fuck up batman/superman but they do.

Saw Chappie recently it wasnt bad 7/10

• 1Solidarity