Rate Movies You've Recently Watched.

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
cannonball run 8/10 - extra points for all the eye candy. always been little annoyed at the ending thou
did you just randomly watch this again, or did you see good/bad flicks review the other day?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Doctor Sleep - Fooking fantastic movie, villain might be the sexiest woman I've ever seen on film. Not the actress specifically, but the actress + the character. An evil sorceress who slinks around in a perpetual state of yoga poses, smooth motion, and ridiculous levels of confidence. Good sequel to The Shining, and the whole third act paid incredible tribute to it after a very tense and suspense-building first two acts. Only thing I didn't like about this was that the coven of adrenochrome-huffing ancient vampire people torture a little kid to death midway through the movie and it kind of fucking sucks to sit through. Between this and Georgie, maybe Stephen King gets off on killing kids in his stories, IDK. I don't think he had much to do with this actual movie though aside from writing the story it's based on. 9/10
I feel like all the people that didn't love this, should go back and watch it again. it is fantastic.
you watch theatrical or directors cut?

theres a big segment on getting King to approve the changes to the book to merge in the Shining movie elements in the wiki.

The writer director is Mike Flanagan. Absentia, oculus, hush, efore I wake, Gerald's game, The haunting of hill house, Doctor sleep, The haunting of bly manor, midnight mass, midnight club.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I feel like all the people that didn't love this, should go back and watch it again. it is fantastic.

theres a big segment on getting King to approve the changes to the book to merge in the Shining movie elements in the wiki.

The writer director is Mike Flanagan. Absentia, oculus, hush, efore I wake, Gerald's game, The haunting of hill house, Doctor sleep, The haunting of bly manor, midnight mass, midnight club.
Dr. Sleep surprised me at how much I enjoyed it.

• 2Like

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>

I feel a little guilty that the only thing I’ve seen of his is Ghosts of Hamilton Street which I saw at a screening back in the day. He was my cousins boyfriend for a bit, so he’d be around a lot when we went to visit and play Balderdash and shit. My uncle’s still credited in Ghosts and one of my other cousins was supposed to have a roll in Midnight Club, but it fell through due to Covid crap. Her picture is all over the place in it instead, apparently.

How horror-y is Dr Sleep? Is it enjoyable even if you haven’t seen The Shining?

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Sweet! You get to watch The Shining for the first time! It's great!

Wait, did you skip out on The Shining because it's too horrory?

Yep. I’m a complete pussy when it comes to horror, thriller, or anything remotely disturbing. I think the hardest things I’ve watched in those categories would be Aliens and A Quiet Place.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Yep. I’m a complete pussy when it comes to horror, thriller, or anything remotely disturbing. I think the hardest things I’ve watched in those categories would be Aliens and A Quiet Place.

Aliens goes way harder than The Shining. Kubrick's film is far more about atmosphere and rising tension than horror stuff. It's got a tiny body count and almost no gore.

You've probably absorbed enough scenes from the film through cultural osmosis that you could watch Doctor Sleep and never be lost. I don't think you'll lose any sleep (*cough*) over watching it and it's got a pretty cool villain in Rose the Hat.

• 2Like

Ridas

Pay to play forum
Shining is atmosphere, not gore. It is such a great movie, you should at least try to watch it.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
From my recollection, Shining is all tension and suspense. Brilliant film for psychological impact but almost no visual violence.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

I'm not sure which Doctor Sleep I saw. It was whichever one is on the Blu-Ray.

I actually watched it twice. Only movie I've watched twice in a while, though I'll probably see Wick 4 a second time soon. Best 3 movies I've seen in the last 3 years or so all happened to be in the last several months (Wick 4, Doctor Sleep, and The Abyss).

I don't know what it is about Doctor Sleep, but it has... "it" so to speak. A certain moodiness that I didn't know modern movies still knew how to pull off.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Aliens goes way harder than The Shining. Kubrick's film is far more about atmosphere and rising tension than horror stuff. It's got a tiny body count and almost no gore.

You've probably absorbed enough scenes from the film through cultural osmosis that you could watch Doctor Sleep and never be lost. I don't think you'll lose any sleep (*cough*) over watching it and it's got a pretty cool villain in Rose the Hat.
If you have seen Ready Player One, you saw pretty much the worst the Shining has.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
On a bit of a movie-watching crusade the last week or so, trying to clear a backlog I've had building up for a while.

John Wick 4 - 11/10, already gave my thoughts on this in its thread and think that it's a contender for best action movie ever. Not certain though, Aliens/T2/Wick 1/The Raid are some pretty steep competition. I'd put the aforementioned five above pretty much everything else, the only question is what order they're in.

Ip Man 4 - Another good last installment to a solid series. Donnie Yen is becoming my favorite action star. I thought this one was a step down from the other 3 Ip Mans and it gave me some major Rocky V vibes. He's all old and sick in this one and it's kind of depressing. That was always gonna be the end result of the series. This one also goes full into the woke stuff and constantly tells us how bad white people are. The other 3 Ip Mans didn't have that so I'm wondering if a different studio got ahold of it for this one, or if it was just a product of the time (this one was 2019). But yeah, the other 3 movies felt like Chinese movie productions and this one felt more like Hollywood, with all that entails. On its own it wasn't great, but as a conclusion to Ip Man it was good to finally watch it. 7.5/10

Titanic - I was wrong, Abyss wasn't the last James Cameron I had to watch. Totally whiffed on Titanic. Finally watched it. It's....everything you expect it to be. Thing is such a cultural icon that I think I absorbed 80% of the movie by osmosis already. A bit too long (over 3 hours) and a bit too sad for my liking. But it is what it is. I didn't know Bill Paxton was in it, that was a pleasant surprise. Also Kate Winslet is so goddamn fucking hot in this movie it's almost unbearable. Especially in her portrait. I wasn't really crazy about her character otherwise though. She seemed kind of spoiled and miserable with the wealthy guy she saddled up with and then she cheated on him. She did grow on me after a while and I think she just wasn't being listened to. At the end of the day, 9/10 for what it is. It's probably a legit 10, but I'm deducting a point for this goddamn Celine Dion song that's now stuck in my head.

Officer Downe - Completely wacky movie with an immortal cop who gives women dozens of orgasms and can't actually die for some reason. He drives around in a bigass truck and shoots bad guys with a double-barreled magnum Fuck You gun. A lot of people here would like this one. I found it kind of noisy and spastic and it didn't make the most of the great actor in the lead role (Tig from Sons of Anarchy). 6/10. Would be a 5 on personal enjoyment but I recognize there's a lot of fun to be had here for a less serious person.

Top Gun - Considering what a huge Hot Shots fan I am, it's a wonder it took me so long to see the movie that Hot Shots was parodying. Highway to the Danger Zone was cool, lots of iconic stuff here that I recognized from cultural osmosis. As a kid I loved fighter jets and navy ships so how I never saw this is beyond me. It was kind of funny how vaguely homoerotic the whole thing was, which I'm sure wasn't intentional. 7/10. Kinda spoiled by great movies this week.

Top Gun: Maverick - Really good, glad it made like a billion dollars. Had lots of the Sentimentality that I've seen making its way into movies the last couple years (another big one is Ghostbusters Afterlife). Mainly was just cool to see all these characters again right after I watched the original. I imagine it'd have been a lot better if I'd grown up with Top Gun. Still gonna go 10/10 on this.

Last edited:

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
It was kind of funny how vaguely homoerotic the whole thing was, which I'm sure wasn't intentional.
Shirtless volleyball at 0800 good buddy

1680178806349.png

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Recently I read a post (can't find it now) on here about Top Gun: Maverick. The post said something to the effect of for a sequel 40 years later this had no business being as good as it is. After watching it last weekend with the family I have to say I whole heartedly agree. I kept hearing how good it was and was trying to lower my expectations because I am almost always disappointed by movie hype, however, this film exceeded all my expectations and I would argue it may have been better than its predecessor.

Top Gun: Maverick - 4.5/5 Stars

• 3Like
  • 1Great Review
Reactions: 3 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Recently I read a post (can't find it now) on here about Top Gun: Maverick. The post said something to the effect of for a sequel 40 years later this had no business being as good as it is. After watching it last weekend with the family I have to say I whole heartedly agree. I kept hearing how good it was and was trying to lower my expectations because I am almost always disappointed by movie hype, however, this film exceeded all my expectations and I would argue it may have been better than its predecessor.

Top Gun: Maverick - 4.5/5 Stars

That was me. Just wanted to take credit. Thanks.

• 1Great Review
  • 1Solidarity

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Babylon - What a goddamn self-indulgent Hollywood piece of crap. Music was good. 4/10.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

lurker

Vyemm Raider
Seabiscuit

A really well-done feel-good movie. 10/10. Beautifully photographed, beautifully told and if you've got some good subwoofers, the sound of the horses' hooves as they race is tremendous.

• 2Like

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Harry Potter series 9/10

The biggest wtf moment wasn’t Snape killing Dumbledore, it was learning that Snape is a Simp.

• 1Like

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Dragged Across Concrete - 3.75/5 Stars (Mel Gibson and Vince Vaughn)

Long movie, I am not sure how I feel about the ending. I didn't hate the ending, but I didn't love it either. I am also not sure how I would have ended differently to make it better. The rest of the movie makes up for the "okay" ending.

• 1Like