Ready Player One (2018)

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
Would have made a better series than a movie if the budget could allow for it, which it probably cannot without neutering the hell out of the oasis.

6/10, last half felt rushed and clumsy but all in all I know what I hate... and I didn’t hate this.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Omi43221

Trakanon Raider
I watched this movie a few times now. It is very rewatchable. If you're a child of thr 80s this movie is an easy 7.5/10.

• 1Like

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, I enjoy putting it on in the background and usually stop what I'm doing to enjoy some of the set pieces. The race especially, I like how there's no music and it's just the chaos. One of those scenes I like to crank up the volume and watch, like the first several minutes of the first Transformers.

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Just watched it the other night. Can definitely see why a group of MMO players enjoyed it more than the average person. Great movie IMO.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Finally got around to seeing this movie and visually it was awesome. It hit on some nostalgia feelings for sure. The story had a few dumb plot holes but over all very enjoyable. I would give it a solid 8/10

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Skimmed the comments before the video to see that they jumped on the author for not understanding the Monty Python or There's Something About Mary references. Also some good notes about how gamers (both real ones in the present and movies ones in the future) were depicted as not embracing the spirit of pop culture but merely loved seeing/being their favorite characters and kicking ass with them (i.e. Iron Giant).

Reviewer had some nice burns but ultimately falls right into the stereotype that even the reddit thread spelled out when this was released: Book-first readers will always see the novel as being better while movie watchers will see the film as presenting a version with more appeal. To preach about what an audience should prefer, prose versus cinema, is like expecting a class of students to fall in line and all be visual learners or all be auditory learners because the other is (in one person's opinion) inferior.

Siliconemelons

yeah him missing what the holy hand grenade was is horrific lol - seeing as how he mentioned that Monty Python holy Grail movie was a big part of the book - boom there is your reference in the movie, you just missed it.

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
While references were everywhere, they weren't really utilized. The secret identity wasn't utilized. Overall, this was lame. The chick was hot and it was unbelievable to think otherwise.

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
It's better written in the same vein as the original book but a much more woke, self-aware novel with a worse story due to current day politics, one eye towards the movie, and sequelitis.

Edit: The inevitable movie that would be made from the new book, that is.

Last edited:

Djay

Trakanon Raider
I finished Ready Player Two last week. Like the first, it was a page-turner, but it suffered from some inconsistent pacing and the author going all-in on the Social Justice Warrior stuff. Couple other criticisms that I can't go into without spoilers.
With that said, I enjoyed it to the extent that it didn't feel like I wasted my time. It just wasn't as good as the first and I don't see myself ever reading it again.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I just finished rewatching this movie (in badass OLED 3D quality). It's still so damn good. I really enjoyed Free Guy, but after rewatching Ready Player One, they aren't even close. This was such a monumental film that hit all the right notes. I guess Spielberg didn't pull any punches.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I just finished rewatching this movie (in badass OLED 3D quality). It's still so damn good. I really enjoyed Free Guy, but after rewatching Ready Player One, they aren't even close. This was such a monumental film that hit all the right notes. I guess Spielberg didn't pull any punches.
nana changing GIF