Resident Evil: Village (RE8)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I played an beat RE2 remake, an amazing game. I never liked 3, so I skipped the 3 remake.

I believe the RE engine used for RE2 remake is also used for Re7 and RE 8. Re7 is worth a play through if you like RE at all.

My only gripe is the lack of enemy variation. There is literally only like 3 in the entire game.

The mold walker thing, the mold licker type crawler, and the mold throw up monster. Other than that its just mini bosses. The damage system is also tired, they need to figure out something else besides shooting at vulnerable, colored spots.

There are also not many guns, at all. A pistol, a shotgun, grenade launcher, and flamer. Yeah you get machine gun with Mia toward the end, but they could have gave you a wider selection. Im not even counting the upgraded versions of the pistol and shotty, or the 44 magnum, as the game really only gives you like 8 44 rounds the entire playthrough.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
I played an beat RE2 remake, an amazing game. I never liked 3, so I skipped the 3 remake.

I believe the RE engine used for RE2 remake is also used for Re7 and RE 8. Re7 is worth a play through if you like RE at all.

My only gripe is the lack of enemy variation. There is literally only like 3 in the entire game.

The mold walker thing, the mold licker type crawler, and the mold throw up monster. Other than that its just mini bosses. The damage system is also tired, they need to figure out something else besides shooting at vulnerable, colored spots.

There are also not many guns, at all. A pistol, a shotgun, grenade launcher, and flamer. Yeah you get machine gun with Mia toward the end, but they could have gave you a wider selection. Im not even counting the upgraded versions of the pistol and shotty, or the 44 magnum, as the game really only gives you like 8 44 rounds the entire playthrough.
yea i'm told re8 takes place directly from where re7 left off, so might have to play re7 just to get the story

Jozu

Yeah. It only took me 11 hours to beat. Its not a slog at all, pretty straight forward puzzle solving.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Chilled did a 16 hour stream, 3 hours of Among Us prior to it dropping and then did all of RE8.

Definitely the type of game I'll watch someone else play and not bother myself. I expect more hours per dollar.

• 1Like

Vorph

I expect more hours per dollar.
Same, so I picked up a phys copy for XSX this morning. I'll pop it in tonight when I get home and have it finished by Sun. morning easily, then back to Gamestop for my $59.99 since they're doing the full-price trade-in thing again.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I played everything up to 5 many moons ago. Never played any of the remakes or the other things like Zero or Revelations.
Was thinking of picking up 7 and Village because the RE series used to be some of my favorite games, and thought it might be nice to get back into them . I don't remember much of the storyline, but luckily there's a decent video covering all the back story.

May be useful for anyone interested in getting back into the series:

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Drajakur

Molten Core Raider
I played everything up to 5 many moons ago. Never played any of the remakes or the other things like Zero or Revelations.
Was thinking of picking up 7 and Village because the RE series used to be some of my favorite games, and thought it might be nice to get back into them I don't remember much of the storyline, but luckily there's a decent video covering all the back story.

There’s a short recap of 7 at the start of this game also, which is concise but functional.

So far I’m having fun. It’s pretty campy but the graphics and atmosphere are amazing. Jump scares have been pretty predictable but I like it.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Is RE8 more graphic intensive than RE7? My rig is getting old and I saw streamers having frame lag during bosses during close contact. Lowering graphics and disabling RTX did nothing.

Fadaar

That guy
E0wfFk1XIAMWuoZ.jpg

• 14Worf
  • 2Like
  • 1Repost
Reactions: 16 users

Vorph

So uh... when the game says to "give" cooking items to Duke, it does not mean to sell them to him.

Don't ask how I know this.

(That said, it's pretty retarded that you can hunt down a whole bunch of meat/poultry/fish immediately after finishing the castle, but Duke doesn't offer his cooking services until after you finish the second boss. Edit: apparently you can talk to him right before you head to boss 2 and cooking becomes available then, but still.. it should unlock immediately upon returning from the castle.)

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
Getting used to the FOV gradually (no ingame way to alter it)

So I'm really liking the atmosphere and gameplay. I haven't run into any elements I think are too hard or cheap.

And just when I think I've seen it all, this fucking thing comes from around a corner:

download (5).png

• 1Like
  • 1Worf

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Getting used to the FOV gradually (no ingame way to alter it)

Maximillian spoke about some "fixes" for the game (starts at 15:00)

Apparently default colour setting is off, and goes through a few settings

He also uses a FOV mod that lets you change that + adds the ability to change/remove the vignette of the game (what causes the black tint).

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

spronk

FPS noob
Its pretty funny and insanely smart how Capcom has hyped this game all around Lady big titty D but in reality she's just the first 20% or so of the game, and the game imo goes downhill after her.

• 1Like

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Its pretty funny and insanely smart how Capcom has hyped this game all around Lady big titty D but in reality she's just the first 20% or so of the game, and the game imo goes downhill after her.

The titty vampire hype was ridiculous. I've seen so many fucking people simping so hard over her that I had assumed she already had a full game out someplace that I hadn't even played.

Never even seemed possible to me that all the fervor was just from a fucking trailer lol.

• 2Solidarity

Vorph

Pretty good game overall. I was surprised it actually had a satisfying ending, and the post-credit scene sets up RE9 (or maybe DLC?) in a good way.

At the end the clock said 10:50 but there was some afk time in there and also I spent a stupid amount of time trying to clear all the red rooms to blue before giving up on that shit about 3/4 of the way through the third boss area. Definitely glad GameStop was offering full price trade-in though, don't really have any interest in doing NG+, trying to speedrun it, or playing mercenaries mode, and a game that short (and completely linear aside from the annoying Metroid-vania style backtracking every time you get a new key) is something I'd only ever rent. Realistically it's about a 7-8 hour game and that's with doing all the backtracking to pick up every treasure, weapon, etc.

Anyone still on the fence about playing it, all I can say is make sure you do so on a platform that you can run it with RT on. Easily one of the most graphically impressive games I've seen, probably second only to the Metro Exodus enhanced edition that *only* runs on RT-capable hardware.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Pretty good game overall. I was surprised it actually had a satisfying ending, and the post-credit scene sets up RE9 (or maybe DLC?) in a good way.

At the end the clock said 10:50 but there was some afk time in there and also I spent a stupid amount of time trying to clear all the red rooms to blue before giving up on that shit about 3/4 of the way through the third boss area. Definitely glad GameSpot was offering full price trade-in though, don't really have any interest in doing NG+, trying to speedrun it, or playing mercenaries mode, and a game that short (and completely linear aside from the annoying Metroid-vania style backtracking every time you get a new key) is something I'd only ever rent. Realistically it's about a 7-8 hour game and that's with doing all the backtracking to pick up every treasure, weapon, etc.

Anyone still on the fence about playing it, all I can say is make sure you do so on a platform that you can run it with RT on. Easily one of the most graphically impressive games I've seen, probably second only to the Metro Exodus enhanced edition that *only* runs on RT-capable hardware.
Sounds like a steam sale title then. Thanks for the heads-up.

• 2Like

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Was thinking of picking up 7 and Village because the RE series used to be some of my favorite games, and thought it might be nice to get back into them . I don't remember much of the storyline, but luckily there's a decent video covering all the back story.

jesus christ, resident evil... makes sense?