Ssraeszha Raider
1F09BF94-9C58-4B85-B862-E3C98780AA57.jpeg

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Very surprised at the lack of posts for this game on this board, figured it'd be a bigger deal here.

Just got the game, gonna play it this weekend (hopefully all the way through). Anything I need to know before I start?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
It's a good game but it's short and extremely linear. There's not a whole lot to talk about until they announce some DLC chapters or whatever.

• 2Like

Indyocracy

Stock Pals Participant
<Gold Donor>
Very surprised at the lack of posts for this game on this board, figured it'd be a bigger deal here.

Just got the game, gonna play it this weekend (hopefully all the way through). Anything I need to know before I start?
The map is pretty useful for finding everything(blue when cleared) and don't sell food

• 1Like

Vorph

Yeah, don't sell food before the game unlocks the correct way to use it is the big one.

And try to only upgrade power (and maybe mag size once or twice since it's fairly cheap) until you get the final tier of guns. You might think you have a ton of money at some points in the game, but buying the final two guns from Duke and then upgrading them costs an absolutely insane amount of Lei. I barely had enough to get the guns and required power/mag upgrades, and that was with me not upgrading the first pistol and shotgun you find at all. F2 sniper was safe to upgrade though, as there's no replacement for it. I only did minor work on the magnum as well (power x2 IIRC) and I didn't buy the mods for it. I 100% cleared the map too and combined all the multi-part treasures before selling them, so I pretty much got all possible Lei in the game.

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
A good argument to fully upgrade lower tier weapons, however, would be doing so unlocks unlimited ammo for the weapon on future runs. Unless sticking to the one play through and calling it a day, then yeah, saving upgrades for higher tier for sure would be how to do it.

• 1Like
  • 1Dislike

Vorph

In the case of wanting to play NG+, I would buy all the guns and all the weapon parts that show up on Duke towards the end of the game, but I still wouldn't fully mod anything (because you likely wouldn't have enough money to buy everything at the end of NG). Plus you don't have the inventory space to be carrying around a completely useless LEMI, basic shotgun, etc. all the way through the first playthrough.

If you want, say, an infinite ammo LEMI, grab it at the start of NG+, wait until you have all the mod parts, and then go to Duke's. Save your game, upgrade it fully, save your game again (different slot), exit to main menu, buy the ammo cheat with CP, then load the first save. Proceed to mod just power and save the other 43k Lei for later weapons.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, I'm just doing a one-and-done for this game. My plan to plow it this weekend fell through because I got caught up in an FF Tactics character challenge, but I'm going to tackle this over the next week or so. Thanks for the input, I'll hold off on upgrading weapons (aside from small Power increases) until later on so I can upgrade the heavy-hitters.

The demo of this game actually warded me off from it because I spent a few minutes wandering around the mansion lost during said demo and it rubbed me the wrong way. Like I didn't want to play a game where I was constantly wandering around lost. However I saw some reviews of it that said the game is pretty straightforward and the puzzles/obscure elements are few and mostly early in the game (the mansion), after which it opens up a bit and moves quickly. Also visually it REALLY reminds me of Bloodborne (that one witch in the opening intro is 100% Mergo's Wet Nurse).

Last edited:

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Played the first 2-3 hours. This game is freaking fantastic. I'm not a particularly big RE fan and this is easily the most fun I've had with any RE game (I've played all of them except 1 and 2, which I'll remedy some time soon). It seems like just the right length so it won't outstay its welcome (RE6) but also won't end too soon (RE3). Every room is straight-up magnificent to look at and I've enjoyed everything about this. My favorite area of Bloodborne is Cainhurst Castle and so far this game feels like a CC remaster that fleshes out the surrounding areas, an FPS based entirely in that part of the Bloodborne world if that makes any sense. The devs clearly got a lot of inspiration from From Software's games for this. I can't say enough good things about RE8, considering I wasn't even going to play it originally.

One thing I'm not crazy about is that Lady D is basically the Raditz of the game. She really got set up to be this huge deal, and then she turned out to just be the first boss, basically. I just reached the second of the (five?) castles and yeah, she seems to be gone forever. Maybe Capcom didn't realize that she'd be the face of the game until after the game was finished and it was too late to have her be a bigger deal.

• 2Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

Almost a month later and I finally got into it for real this week. I finished Castle D then, now I'm in House Beneviento. This game is so good that I have no problem saying it might be the best RE in the series, aside from perhaps RE4 and RE2 Remake. It has a lot in common with RE4.

Edit: House Bene was over quick. I feel like that part was just them sneaking P.T. into this game. I don't know anything about the game from this point onward so this'll be interesting.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, don't sell food before the game unlocks the correct way to use it is the big one.

And try to only upgrade power (and maybe mag size once or twice since it's fairly cheap) until you get the final tier of guns. You might think you have a ton of money at some points in the game, but buying the final two guns from Duke and then upgrading them costs an absolutely insane amount of Lei. I barely had enough to get the guns and required power/mag upgrades, and that was with me not upgrading the first pistol and shotgun you find at all. F2 sniper was safe to upgrade though, as there's no replacement for it. I only did minor work on the magnum as well (power x2 IIRC) and I didn't buy the mods for it. I 100% cleared the map too and combined all the multi-part treasures before selling them, so I pretty much got all possible Lei in the game.
A good argument to fully upgrade lower tier weapons, however, would be doing so unlocks unlimited ammo for the weapon on future runs. Unless sticking to the one play through and calling it a day, then yeah, saving upgrades for higher tier for sure would be how to do it.

What are the final tier of guns, so I know it when I have it? I'm about to fight the third big boss.

I've got: M1911 handgun, W870 TAC shotgun, F2 sniper rifle, and GM 79 grenade launcher.

I upgraded the M1911 and the F2 to level 2 Power, and did the same with the original shotgun. That's it for upgrades so far. I regret the original shotgun upgrade because I got the W870 like 20 minutes later.

Does seem like I'm swimming in money, like you said. I'm pretty eager to start spending it on upgrades. I've gone out of my way to get pretty much every sellable item (possibly even all of them) so I'm at around 300k. More than willing to dump money on upgrading whatever the right weapons are. I've been using the M1911 most of the time because it's my favorite gun IRL.

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
What are the final tier of guns, so I know it when I have it? I'm about to fight the third big boss.

I've got: M1911 handgun, W870 TAC shotgun, F2 sniper rifle, and GM 79 grenade launcher.

I upgraded the M1911 and the F2 to level 2 Power, and did the same with the original shotgun. That's it for upgrades so far. I regret the original shotgun upgrade because I got the W870 like 20 minutes later.

Does seem like I'm swimming in money, like you said. I'm pretty eager to start spending it on upgrades. I've gone out of my way to get pretty much every sellable item (possibly even all of them) so I'm at around 300k. More than willing to dump money on upgrading whatever the right weapons are. I've been using the M1911 most of the time because it's my favorite gun IRL.
Some guns unlock through replays. But you have the perk of if you upgraded a gun you liked fully on the previous playthrough, you can purchase unlimited ammo for it.

• 1Dislike

Xerge

<Donor>
If anyone cares a crack has been done and is being tested today. There's rumors of micro stuttering removed for some folks due to -denuvo.

Kinda interested in trying it out

Vorph

I forget the RE names for them but it's a automatic shotgun based on the Saiga-12 and a machine pistol that looks like a VZ61 Scorpion (the ancient one with the wire stock that folds vertically, not the Scorpion EVO that's in every military game nowadays). There's no upgrade for the sniper rifle and you can only get an AR in NG+.

Jozu

Finally got around to playing this, and I dont know.....

I thought I would love the game, as Im a huge RE fan, and I loved RE1 and RE4, which this seemed like a mix of along with RE7, but...im underwhelmed. I think the problem is the Ethan character. I know the story and VA in this series hasnt been top tier, but Ethan is an idiot and the gratuitous gore associated with him actually being a fungus man is fucking retarded. I hated, hated, hated it in RE7, as soon as his arm got cut off and shit it just takes me out of the realm of any believability, as it is just preposterous and takes away all of the stakes for me.

In RE2 I felt for Leon and his struggle. Just avoiding getting bit was life and death (kind of) and survival was a huge part of the thrill of the game. But with this fungus man bullshit all of that evaporates and it almost feels comical. Like oh wow, my hand got cut off, lol, let me grab that and run away so I can pour a first aid bottle on it and re-attach it before dropping a sick one liner about how fucked up this place is or whatever. Its all too fantastical and stupid. I know they leaned into a bit with a 9 foot tall vampire woman and a bunch of other magical bullshit, but it just doesnt feel like a RE title.

That and the monotonous puzzle system, fetch an item to unlock a door, which give access to a trinket, which unlocks the next area, which you then must find the next puzzle piece to combine with another one thats behind another locked door. Run away from unkillable heavy rinse and repeat.

They need to just figure something else out for 9.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Finally got around to playing this, and I dont know.....

I thought I would love the game, as Im a huge RE fan, and I loved RE1 and RE4, which this seemed like a mix of along with RE7, but...im underwhelmed. I think the problem is the Ethan character. I know the story and VA in this series hasnt been top tier, but Ethan is an idiot and the gratuitous gore associated with him actually being a fungus man is fucking retarded. I hated, hated, hated it in RE7, as soon as his arm got cut off and shit it just takes me out of the realm of any believability, as it is just preposterous and takes away all of the stakes for me.

In RE2 I felt for Leon and his struggle. Just avoiding getting bit was life and death (kind of) and survival was a huge part of the thrill of the game. But with this fungus man bullshit all of that evaporates and it almost feels comical. Like oh wow, my hand got cut off, lol, let me grab that and run away so I can pour a first aid bottle on it and re-attach it before dropping a sick one liner about how fucked up this place is or whatever. Its all too fantastical and stupid. I know they leaned into a bit with a 9 foot tall vampire woman and a bunch of other magical bullshit, but it just doesnt feel like a RE title.

That and the monotonous puzzle system, fetch an item to unlock a door, which give access to a trinket, which unlocks the next area, which you then must find the next puzzle piece to combine with another one thats behind another locked door. Run away from unkillable heavy rinse and repeat.

They need to just figure something else out for 9.

I'm not really into the puzzle system either. Having to inspect every item forward and back gets a bit tedious, especially in the second boss lair (the dollhouse). My #1 peeve in video games at present is wandering around lost and not knowing how to proceed, and that's happened a few times in RE8 because of its obscure puzzles.

The story is pretty weird-ass too. I'm having a lot of fun with this game, though. On PS5 the shooting feels amazing and there's a strong sense of tension throughout. I like how Bloodborne-like some of the bosses and visual themes are.

Just reached Heisenberg's Factory with about 500,000 lei. I saved money for nearly the entire game. Bought the two final weapons, their upgrade parts, and L2 Power for both...and now I'm out of money. Wow. This game really doesn't mess around with the scarcity of money. Maybe the idea is to accumulate it over NG+ cycles.

Gonna probably beat the game tonight if time permits.