Rick and Morty

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Have you seen the behind the scenes stuff? I think Adult Swim has them up right after the episode airs. Harmon looks like he is only tangentally related to the show these days; I don't think it's fair to say he's tanked it at all. What you have is a bunch of writers who think they know what a rick and morty episode should be, so they write what they think rick and morty exemplifies to them.

Harmon and Roiland are doing voices at this point for a writer's room; neither are steering the train.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The better episodes are ones with an antagonist and not random shenanigans. Doesn't have to be Rick against someone but any of the family members trying to best someone works. Standalone "hey I got an idea" episodes would take writers longer to flesh out and present in a concise story that doesn't fall short but for TV productions they slap it together and settle for "good enough" far too often.

Combinations of the two can deliver like the Vat of Acid episode where Rick wants to teach Morty a lesson and one of the writers had a great idea for the reset scenarios.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Why aren't the episodes that funny?

I like that they even threw a C.H.U.D. reference in.

john goodman horror GIF by Shudder

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
I don't even know where to start. It was super fast paced, uncomfortable, and hilarious the whole time. Really felt like classic R&M, personally.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Terrible. I hated it. I felt about the same about the dragon episode and I know a lot of people really liked that one but this felt like a complete waste of time.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

elidib

Vyemm Raider
it was really random and disconnected, but some of the jokes did actually hit. I mean cmon - Handjob Solo

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
Terrible. I hated it. I felt about the same about the dragon episode and I know a lot of people really liked that one but this felt like a complete waste of time.
I hated the space dragon one as well. This one I just decided the whole point was to make people uncomfortable ("It's space's problem now") and went with it. So many great individual bits. They learned so hard into the sexism stuff it had to be a bit. The crappy ninja, the "CHUDs", the "Grand Canyon", all the stuff about lying and whose fault it was; it was just a firehose of bits that never slowed down so if one thing didn't work, you never had time to dwell on it too long before they moved on to the next one. The pace worked as much as anything else.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I hated the space dragon one as well. This one I just decided the whole point was to make people uncomfortable ("It's space's problem now") and went with it. So many great individual bits. They learned so hard into the sexism stuff it had to be a bit. The crappy ninja, the "CHUDs", the "Grand Canyon", all the stuff about lying and whose fault it was; it was just a firehose of bits that never slowed down so if one thing didn't work, you never had time to dwell on it too long before they moved on to the next one. The pace worked as much as anything else.

Woman director directs episode where show's female leads complain about being marginalized by men. The characters are thus marginalized within the story to make that theme fit.

• 2Like

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I thought this episode was funny as fuck.

I dont go into this show with some kind of bar that needs to be met or surpassed, I just take each show for what its worth and if I laugh a lot its great if not wait till next week. Even the episodes that arent that funny are still interesting overall IMO. Morty as a character is just great writing, and RIck is also very likeable. Its just a good show.

When his horse baby just instantly dug into the ground and peaced out I laughed out loud. Sticky and Summers incest space sperm baby is going to be epic.

• 1Like

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Whole episode felt like satire without a final punchline. Even a drunk Rick can take out World Ender and his entire base but all they had was hand pistols that run out of juice? When they lockdowned the house and had to eliminate the parasite infestation they had far better weaponry. To harp on it again, felt like an episode where they had a ton of ideas smushed together but they had to neuter the characters to make it work.

• 1Like

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
That episode was awful and felt like that shitty Ghostbusters movie.

• 1Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
The past couple of episodes have been shit.

I thought all the clones killing each other was fine but I had to go back and look up a synopsis for the episodes of the season to remember what the four even were. This whole season has been aggressively forgettable mid-season zany placeholder episodes all of which are hit or miss with each viewer. We're no longer using a mixture of comedy, violence and absurdism to reexamine and repurose old sci fi and horror tropes as heavy themes lurk just below the surface. We're just sorta fucking around.

• 1Like
  • 1Edgelord

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I think some of y'all have rose colored glasses when looking at the earlier seasons.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users