Rick and Morty

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I think some of y'all have rose colored glasses when looking at the earlier seasons.
So much this. Earlier seasons have some standout episodes, just like last season and Vat of Acid, but earlier seasons have plenty of "meh" episodes as well. People are taking the standouts (basically, the top 10 of all-time) from each season, looking back, and assuming it was representative of the entire season.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I think some of y'all have rose colored glasses when looking at the earlier seasons.
Having watched the first two seasons and nothing else, and not really checking on this thread at all, I'll give my opinion. First two seasons were decent. It was comedy in extremis. Some laughs, lots of absurd things. I didn't bother to look at later seasons or rewatch, because in extrmis tends to lose it's shock value quickly. So I have a positive view of the first two seasons, and I'm find ending it there.

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
This weeks episode was ok. Definitely not my favorite. As was already said, some of the jokes really landed but for me the episode was a dud, for the most part.

Last edited:

Valishar

Molten Core Raider
Oh you probably didn't even have to. The episode literally had Morty be a dad (again), and the episode was about as funny as a dad joke.

Xevy

Log Wizard
You know the outside criticism of Rick and Morty fans paints them as all being fart-sniffing "It's SO DEEP, you just don't like it because you don't UNDERSTAND it truly!" And this thread definitely has a lot of this feel to it. Like, this shit is funny sometimes, REALLY funny sometimes, and sometimes not funny. It doesn't have to be a fucking existenstial master thesis disguised as adult cartoons EVERY episode. Some of them are deep episodes and some are just funny "What if rick kept killing clones of himself but he was a clone LUL" type shit.

A lot of you are going too deep on what is ultimately a cartoon show. Giving all these "oh these reddit manbabies LOVE R&M and think it's deep, but it's just burp jokes!" critics validation. I mean this last episode was based off giant cum attacking the planet. This ain't some divine writ. It's a show with laffs and sometimes not laffs.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The fucking hot dog alien talking about how having sex with his dad was terrific and he is upset he hadnt done it sooner was lol.

Then at the end of episode it shows him talking to his friend about how things arent working out now with his wife or his mom, considering Summer prevented the planets demise so everyone just had to continue living after doing all kinds of gnarly shit haha.

Those are the parts of Rick and Morty that are amazing.

• 2Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
For a network airing edgy trash like Mr. Pickles or aggressively unfunny Tim and Eric anti-humor Rick and Morty was a real bright spot when it first began airing. I get why people think the early seasons are overrated. If you weren't wading through Adult Swim on the regular and only came upon the show after the internet sucked it's cock nonstop for eight years than yeah it's not going to seem all that special. Hell, now we've got Solar Opposites, Big Mouth, that Star Trek cartoon and probably a bunch of other shows I've forgotten that are playing with at least some of the same themes. Rick and Morty is even older than Bojack Horseman and it's manic depressed substance abuser protagonist with a penchant for fucking anything on two or four legs.

What bothers me about this season and the general direction of the show is that we saw the show reach some real high points along the way as it told its goofy and violent little stories full of repurposed horror and sci fi tropes but it looks like it's decided to bail on telling a larger story. Some of that is the fault of a very loud and very autistic segment of the viewer base that will absolutely not shut the fuck up and some of that is the fault of Dan Harmon breaking out in to hives whenever someone brings up continuity or serialized storytelling. Last season's train episode took a stab directly at the loud side of the fanbase with its Evil Morty cameo. Those couple of seconds were even used in the advertising for the season giving people a false impression of what we were getting.

The show's been an incredible success but when it closes up shop I think it will have done so never having reached its full potential.

• 1Edgelord
Reactions: 1 user

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I think roland and harmon not being involved like they were is a big thing. Now it feels like writers trying to mimich the crazyness that they did and not an overall story,

• 2Like

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
There's another episode (supposed to be episode 7) up on your regular download sites.
It's the introduction of Voltron Ferret thing, and now Summer can do voice over monologues because Morty chose wrong with what Rick wanted.
I'll be honest. I really liked the episode. It wasn't crazy or any of that, but I enjoyed the premise and the conclusion was good. Like watching a strange sci-fi episode of The Wonder Years.

Last edited:

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
whats the deal with the episode numbers skipping episode 6, was that some kind of meta joke?

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
whats the deal with the episode numbers skipping episode 6, was that some kind of meta joke?

5ghbv1.jpg

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Apparently Amazon put it up by mistake for a little while instead of the episode that was supposed to be up. I haven't watched it because supposedly the quality is kind of shit, but it is a watchable episode from what people are saying.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Apparently Amazon put it up by mistake for a little while instead of the episode that was supposed to be up. I haven't watched it because supposedly the quality is kind of shit, but it is a watchable episode from what people are saying.

umm I dont know what you are talking about I totally watched it legally...

Kyougou

<Gold Donor>
I'm pretty sure thats just episode 5... based on the descriptions I'm reading and the picture I'm getting:
1626313631737.png

For clarification that says: "New episode: July 19th" but that is the picture....

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Chutback car plot pretty fun, Hellraiser plot not so much. Getting some pretty superficial parodies this season that don't take the material anywhere interesting.

• 2Like