Rift: Planes of Telara

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Rift is a good mmo to start with. They cover most of the bases and it's has a very healthy population. Another good game is Guild Wars 2, it's a bit different from most mmos and very popular. EvE is spaced based mmo, heavy into PvP. It is very different than most mmos and also quite popular.

Other than that it's hard to recommend a specific mmo. There are so many and some are very good. Some of the Asian mmos are decent. TERA has an interesting combat system. If you like FPS games then you should check out Planetside 2, it is a massive combat fps mmo with 3 factions. A lot of fun and also popular. And of course there is always World of Warcraft, not a favorite of mine but it is the most popular mmo by far. It is very similar to Rift but with cartoon graphics.

WildStar, TESO and EQNext will be out soon. It is always fun to play new mmos when they launch. Plenty of players around and for a couple of months the excitement level goes up a few notches before most get bored and move on.

blehh_sl

shitlord
Rift is a good mmo to start with. They cover most of the bases and it's has a very healthy population. Another good game is Guild Wars 2, it's a bit different from most mmos and very popular. EvE is spaced based mmo, heavy into PvP. It is very different than most mmos and also quite popular.

Other than that it's hard to recommend a specific mmo. There are so many and some are very good. Some of the Asian mmos are decent. TERA has an interesting combat system. If you like FPS games then you should check out Planetside 2, it is a massive combat fps mmo with 3 factions. A lot of fun and also popular. And of course there is always World of Warcraft, not a favorite of mine but it is the most popular mmo by far. It is very similar to Rift but with cartoon graphics.

WildStar, TESO and EQNext will be out soon. It is always fun to play new mmos when they launch. Plenty of players around and for a couple of months the excitement level goes up a few notches before most get bored and move on.
The only reason I haven't tried to play planetside 2 is because I heard it was terribly optimized. I'm running an old dual core so I basically have to play games that suck. I just downloaded the beta of firefall, what are your opinions on that game?

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
You can also try any of the free "private servers" which can give a semblance of what an old MMO was like and I'd recommend one for EQ as there's several linked in the forum and maybe Emerald Dream for wow. Spend at least a month on each and you're more or less as caught up on mmo history as you can get minus a Delorean. At least for pve. Pvp would require old model Ultima and I guess DAOC but not sure privates exist for those.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
Play WoW. It is what Rift tried & failed to emulate and if you like pvp it's the only game around right now with a decent / worthplaying system.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Heard new expansion will add a healer rogue soul. Melee healer with stealth, blink, and high dps? Yes plz.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Well each class has one role which they are lacking a soul for, which I always thought was quite intentional in order to give class flavor to certain combinations.

This may be trying to fill the hole in each class: Healer for Warrior and Rogue, Support for Cleric and Tank for Mage.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Trion? Not enough! I think they are a good company, just wish they would make something I would want to play -.-
Rest Assured, Trion's quality of game releases/ideas is on life support and the automated external defibrilator was strapped to Scott Hartsman's backpack as he left the building.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
Their customer support has definitely gone down hill. Last year on Thanksgiving night as the wife and kids were sacking out I decided to re-up my original Rift account and add the expansion. Something wasn't working right on digitally adding the expansion and I actually got English/American support on the phone within two mins and she had me hold a minute or two and then stayed on the phone with me while I verified the expansion was now working. I rarely have had to call anyone over the years for things like this , but was amazed as when I have it's always taken forever and never had anyone as polite , informed , and helpful as the Trion customer support on a holiday night no less.

Couple months ago I was going to let my kid play my account and I was going to do the Patron sub as I was going to dabble a bit with it , and something was screwed up as part of their F2P change , I discovered they now have zero phone support and the ticket I submitted took them a week to respond with an automated reply asking me to verify some account info (as in it still wasn't fixing my issue was just the first response from them). Of course by then I had changed my mind and wasn't going to play nor do the Patron sub.

It definitely is not close to the same Trion as when Rift launched.