Rift: Planes of Telara

I petitioned a broken rift while I was playing. Quit the game 2 weeks later, got an email some time after that asking me for more info.

It's the modern way though. The new philosophy of business in the modern world is this:

• Do the absolute minimum you can get away with doing, without being sued.
  • Cut customer service funding so much that your customers can't even get in touch to complain how shit it is.
  • Milk every last penny from your dumbass customers in any way you possibly can. The long term doesn't exist. LIVE FOR TODAY! Rape everyone.
  • Lie constantly and tell everyone that everything is great, it doesn't matter if people believe you or not.
  • If your dumbass customers learn your company name and start making a fuss, start a new company with a different name and repeat the above.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Im in disagreement on the whole customer service in mmos. Idiots just take that shit too far and they have to cut it off at some point. Fuck, what is $15 per month if $20-$30 is spent on your sorry ass for CS?

The only CS that should matter IMO is if you cannot play the game. All the rest of the whining, like Whahh, someone ripped me off, or I accidentally deleted some sword, someone is stealing my mobs, my generic quest at lv10 is broken, or other bullshit like this, well I dont blame them for scaling that shit back. And you know 70% of CS petitions are just like the shit I mentioned.

I have been playing mmos since 2000 and I can only recall 2-3 times that I actually needed CS. Maybe I was lucky? Who knows, but its all the idiots which ruined CS for the rest of us.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
Im in disagreement on the whole customer service in mmos. Idiots just take that shit too far and they have to cut it off at some point. Fuck, what is $15 per month if $20-$30 is spent on your sorry ass for CS?

The only CS that should matter IMO is if you cannot play the game. All the rest of the whining, like Whahh, someone ripped me off, or I accidentally deleted some sword, someone is stealing my mobs, my generic quest at lv10 is broken, or other bullshit like this, well I dont blame them for scaling that shit back. And you know 70% of CS petitions are just like the shit I mentioned.

I have been playing mmos since 2000 and I can only recall 2-3 times that I actually needed CS. Maybe I was lucky? Who knows, but its all the idiots which ruined CS for the rest of us.
When you need customer service it should be available and not shit though. They're selling a subscription based service, their CS should be #2 after the game being fun.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>

The only real GM interaction I had in EQ was 1) An un-paid guide thinking we were exploiting by fighting dorfs on their roofs in Kaladim (wrong, they were right there with us HITTING US BACK), and 2) The Magician BEST OF THE BEST tournament, was anyone else in one of these? Good times, I won the Quellious server one, but was out of town and didn't log in for the main event :*(

I picked up RIFT again for it's expansion, and needed at least 5+ GM interventions. It was all progress-breaking storyline event quests failing and stuck. Hey their QA blows, don't blame me for seeking GM help in a game I pay for.

I later found out one of the petitions was not needed. Apparently the Storm Legion quest line would literally just...end. No finale, nada, it just led into a few lame dailies that added a brokenly small +25 faction or whatever (shouldve been 500+). It was so disappointing. But the end was so abrupt, I seriously thought I ran into my 5th bugged storyline quest and petitioned accordingly. It was actually never answered.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
That's what Guides are for like they had in EQ, just volunteers who can deal with the mundane stuff. And they need a better filtering process.
Hahahaha. Guides in Eq didn't know shit and never helped anybody. You have to be trolling with your EQ love at this point

No, I was just talking in principle. You shouldn't lump all the trouble on to the GM's. If you have thousands of players complaining about kill stealing, you need to add a mechanic to help that. Either tell everyone that the new policy is that you stfu and deal with it, or you add something like Vanguard has which locks the mob to the first person who attacks. Other people can help kill it and heal the player or whatever but they don't get anything no matter what they do.

And minor squabbles, give Guides freedom to do something about it. A mob or a player that is stuck or something, a guide could just teleport in there and type something and problem solved. And Shards of Dalaya you can be sent to jail for bad behaviour or whatever, which imprisons that character. They might do it for half an hour just to shut someone up and give them a reality check, or they can do it for a week or more if they did some serious shenanigans. And do what SOE does and match all petitions with stuff in the knowledge base and force the player to read related ones first, and double check if they still want to actually talk to someone.

My point is that if you do it right, the well paid GM's only end up having to deal with significant stuff like reimbursements or whatever. And lower grade staff deal with all the other crap.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Problem with guides is they were just players. Not even knowledgeable players, the only qualification you needed was to be level 20. Way too much abuse potential to guide them any actual power.

And since we're in a rift thread anyways, their answer to kill stealing has worked pretty damn well. Anyone who attacks the mob gets full credit for the kill. Full exp, quest updates, etc.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Hahahaha. Guides in Eq didn't know shit and never helped anybody. You have to be trolling with your EQ love at this point
Ah, I was a guide and I did shit that would make your head spin.

Most guides knew more about the game than all of SOE's customer service and 75% of the dev team put together.

But yeah, depends on who you got. There were a lot of laws handed down of things you couldn't do (which I ignored) and did anyway. It's why I found out most all the end game content of any expansion was never finished in Kunark, Velious, and Planes of Power. They told us we couldn't zone into those because we could map the areas and use them to our advantage on our play character. Well, when I got a tell from a GM on her last day at SOE, she told me to go fucking nuts and look at all the broken ass unfinished content. I saw so many developer boxes in Planes of Power zones I almost thought I was playing fucking Super Mario.

For kill stealing we couldn't do a thing until we witnessed it in /hideme (complete invisibility). Once we did, we could report them in an online reporting tool. But they could keep on doing it and we were not supposed to do anything about it. But I said the hell with that. I used to port some of those little shits 2 hours away and bind them in the middle of no where. When a GM asked me why I broke the rules, I said because there wasn't a GM on and the player was harassing another player. They would check the logs, and then pat me on the back.

(That was so much fun...)

The exciting thing about true sandbox is that it can take this kind of thing to such a insane extreme. For example, guides could become like police, paid for by the people in the game through taxes. They will serve and protect, but they will also be answerable to the players ultimately, as well as the developers. Maybe they will earn in game things to pay for their work, or maybe even earn real money. And in game money and real money can end up linked, like with EVE.

For now it's all very primitive. For a computer game it blows my mind. MMO's are gigantic, big budget huge scope. But in relation to what they will eventually become (maybe not in my lifetime), they are so small scale at the moment. Once big games come along with *true* virtual worlds, there will be real currency, and real law enforcement issues and all kinds of crazy stuff. For now they are still just games, with a few exceptions like EVE which cross over a bit. I hope EQ Next will be in that same kind of category, and with luck... drag that kind of thing a bit more in to the mainstream.

But eventually everything will be strictly controlled. Like that thread on FOH where I complained about "bad" GM's, and Raph Koster replied, there will need to be people like him working on big proper sandbox games. People who write an entire kind of constitution that sets out the rules for the world. Players will need to have rights, and so will the developers. It's such early days now. Everything is like a crazy experiment, but in time things will standardize.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
The exciting thing about true sandbox is that it can take this kind of thing to such a insane extreme. For example, guides could become like police, paid for by the people in the game through taxes. They will serve and protect, but they will also be answerable to the players ultimately, as well as the developers. Maybe they will earn in game things to pay for their work, or maybe even earn real money. And in game money and real money can end up linked, like with EVE.

For now it's all very primitive. For a computer game it blows my mind. MMO's are gigantic, big budget huge scope. But in relation to what they will eventually become (maybe not in my lifetime), they are so small scale at the moment. Once big games come along with *true* virtual worlds, there will be real currency, and real law enforcement issues and all kinds of crazy stuff. For now they are still just games, with a few exceptions like EVE which cross over a bit. I hope EQ Next will be in that same kind of category, and with luck... drag that kind of thing a bit more in to the mainstream.

But eventually everything will be strictly controlled. Like that thread on FOH where I complained about "bad" GM's, and Raph Koster replied, there will need to be people like him working on big proper sandbox games. People who write an entire kind of constitution that sets out the rules for the world. Players will need to have rights, and so will the developers. It's such early days now. Everything is like a crazy experiment, but in time things will standardize.
I'm not stoned enough for this

theguyinchina_sl

shitlord
Ah, I was a guide and I did shit that would make your head spin.

Most guides knew more about the game than all of SOE's customer service and 75% of the dev team put together.

But yeah, depends on who you got. There were a lot of laws handed down of things you couldn't do (which I ignored) and did anyway. It's why I found out most all the end game content of any expansion was never finished in Kunark, Velious, and Planes of Power. They told us we couldn't zone into those because we could map the areas and use them to our advantage on our play character. Well, when I got a tell from a GM on her last day at SOE, she told me to go fucking nuts and look at all the broken ass unfinished content. I saw so many developer boxes in Planes of Power zones I almost thought I was playing fucking Super Mario.

For kill stealing we couldn't do a thing until we witnessed it in /hideme (complete invisibility). Once we did, we could report them in an online reporting tool. But they could keep on doing it and we were not supposed to do anything about it. But I said the hell with that. I used to port some of those little shits 2 hours away and bind them in the middle of no where. When a GM asked me why I broke the rules, I said because there wasn't a GM on and the player was harassing another player. They would check the logs, and then pat me on the back.

(That was so much fun...)
Makes me think back to being an Elder Seer in UO. Not sure the powers you had as a guide but we could do quite a bit in UO. (All in the name of running events that killed lots of people of course)
tongue.png

spronk

FPS noob
is anyone in the end of nations alpha, and is it even worth installing? the original version (before they shut it down) sucked badly, don't wanna bother with the new version if its the same old shit

spronk

FPS noob
Is that related to Rise of Nations?
yeah, I guess Trion took it from the dev that was making it and brought it in house, they have an alpha up and running now but don't seem to hear anyone talking about it, anywhere

they had it in beta and very close to release last year, but it was pretty shitty, like a MOBA with terrible AI and virtually no replay value. Not even really sure if it (still is?) MMO-like or just lobby-gaming.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
Sure I remember Scott saying when he joined Trion that his major reason for accepting the job was the MMO after Rift and to judge him on that ???? Whatever happened to that.

yeah, I guess Trion took it from the dev that was making it and brought it in house, they have an alpha up and running now but don't seem to hear anyone talking about it, anywhere

they had it in beta and very close to release last year, but it was pretty shitty, like a MOBA with terrible AI and virtually no replay value. Not even really sure if it (still is?) MMO-like or just lobby-gaming.
Interesting thanks, Rise of Nations was pretty amazing.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
Chop, chop, chop... My guess is a lot more people will be leaving Trion shortly. It's a shame, as it's a soild game and a good team. The problem was more one of timing and market saturation.

I've been playing Rift lately, and it's probably the best themepark game out there.