Rimworld

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I've lost many colonists and a few colonies trying to tame Thrumbos. I got one once, but it didn't have any special items like Muffalo fur or whatever, and it died a couple of years later to old age. I've since stopped trying to tame them, once you've done it for the novelty factor I don't see the point.

khorum

Murder Apologist
One self-tamed to my doctor after she healed it. It got into a fight with a robot worm from a crashed ship and almost died... She healed it and it became her pet. It ate soooo much food that I eventually had her bring it with my trading caravans where it pretty much took care of any security needs on the road.

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
Thrumbos are fucking amazing tanks, you just need to enable "release" during battle. I even had one Thrumbo soloed a Centipede. In terms of food they consume, yes, they do eat A LOT. The key is to set their allowed area to the wood ONLY so they just go eat grass instead of your crops/meals.

thrumbos.png

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

khorum

Murder Apologist
Ugh I cant be playing this fucking game right now lol.... but I always wanted to try a migratory colony at some point. Just kinda raiding and moving from place to place.

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
As a professional thrumbo breeder/trainer, I can tell you I usually have one good doctor with five male thrumbos going out to raid other established settlements. On several occasions, my male thrumbo pack would "accidentally" ran into raiders and the next thing I know, no more raiders. What happens to the female thrumbo you might ask? She is usually pregnant and I let her lay low. :)

• 1Like

khorum

Murder Apologist
I don't think I ever TRAINED the thrumbo, it was just tame and followed its master around. I kept trying to train it but her skill was shit. Are they easier to train from birth?

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Ugh I cant be playing this fucking game right now lol.... but I always wanted to try a migratory colony at some point. Just kinda raiding and moving from place to place.

unfortunately the happiness/break system isn't really set up for this play style, i've tried it a couple times. maybe a real hard core min/maxxer could figure it out but i'd imagine you'd have to settle a spot for at least a week between movements to get your people back to normal, and that's assuming no bullshit like a breakup or an insulter fucking all your people up

it's really pretty silly sometimes a dude get's insulted a couple times, then you get invaded and because now he is hungry and tired he breaks and just wonders out in the battle and gets slaughtered.

• 1Like

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I find Cassandra in particular has a habit of kicking you when you're down on higher difficulty levels. Often it's not a wipeout but a death by a thousand cuts, or the game just sort of stagnates where you are constantly dealing with one problem after another and you can't really progress.

If you're new to the game, I recommend sticking to the lower difficulty tiers and using Phoebe/Randy because you can grow your base and learn what works and what doesn't.

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
How do you manage to tame two Thrumbo's early on enough to have them breed?

Just being very lucky dude, very lucky. Having the right people with high animal skill, and one male one female thrumbo show up and I tamed them both... Snowballing from there ever since.

• 1Like

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I'm on randy random / merciless / naked whatever and I finally lasted long enough to get a decent base going. Fairly early on my main character got carried off in a raid, but I kept going with the few that remained. A long time later, several months I think, I got the quest for rescue:
001.jpg

It took me ages to figure out how to get my people to go, and I had no idea how to take anything with me. So they showed up half starved. Luckily there were only two primitive guards that I gunned down. Rescued!
002.jpg

This was a funny thing that happened. I built a wall one square over so I could widen the rooms on the east side, and these 2 tards amantilladod themselves. Took me forever to get anyone over there to mine them out.
003.jpg

The game hammered me with raids after that. 2 in a row with 10 enemies each. I was kidnapped again in the second.
004.jpg

RIP little pack of terriers. The fat lady that rescued me the first time died in that fight. It left me with some very big gaps in skills. Nobody had enough construction to fix the hole in the wall or re-arm the traps. Luckily the game left me alone for awhile, and I managed to stabilize and got a wanderer in that could do construction.

Somewhere in there I got this request:
005.jpg

Finally I got the chance at a rescue (again). This time there were turrets. I only had two that could fight, but this time I took a couple days of food.
006.jpg

As soon as my 2 gunners leave, mad antelopes arrive and I just lock the outside doors and wait them out. They spring most of the traps, and then a big raid shows up and starts burning everything.
007.jpg

Meanwhile on the road, one of the fighters gets stuck in a sad wander for what seemed like days. They of course ran out of food and arrived half starved, but managed to rescue me and we stole enough food to make it back. When we got back everything except the walls and a little bit of food was gone. The game threw a couple raids and 2 of those storms that cause fires at me. I got a liver infection in one of the raids and almost died.
008.jpg

The doc that patched me up
010.jpg

With all the chaos I've only managed to research blades and beer. Even being kidnapped most of the game my character is still super awesome:
012.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
013.jpg

Cold snap followed by a month of toxic fallout followed by a worsening psychic drone thing and then a big raid. I'm kidnapped again :D

All I have left are two nonviolents.

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Protip: leave 2 spaces between fields and put stone tiles or concrete in between, keeps fires from jumping from one field to the next.

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Protip: leave 2 spaces between fields and put stone tiles or concrete in between, keeps fires from jumping from one field to the next.

It's tips like this that make you rethink your whole life. Any tips on tying shoes, I might have been doing it wrong this entire time.

EDIT: Does this also prevent blight spread?

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You can design your base to be resilient to a lot of problems, learning all that stuff is half the fun in this game.

Don't think it works on blight though, that seems to pop up at random until you get all of it. Blight is pretty rare anyway and easy to contain.