Rimworld

Jabberwhacky

Lord Nagafen Raider
Used to be the case where you could put 3 stools side by side in front of the production bench (tailor, food etc) and your pawn wouldn't move at all when using the item from the one stack and depositing the product to the other stack. Like, not move an inch. My pawns are moving now. Did I get a mod that fucked it up or is that changed in the base game?

goishen

Macho Ma'am
I'm all for playing my games mod free, at least until I've beaten them once or twice. I've gotta good game going right now with six settlers. I'll post some screen shots next time I play.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Im getting pretty sick of these infestations... I hollow out all the other surrounding mountains to maximize the chance that they spawn somewhere other than my base but they keep spawning there anyway... is there a surefire way to mitigate the infestations? seems to happen a little too often with my ore drill sites too.

Caliane

yeah, insects being largely uncounterable is the.. counter to undermountains being immune to dropships, mortars, fallout, volcano, lightning, etc..

I find pets pretty good for helping deal with spiders. giving a bunch of huskies, etc free reign of your base, and let them bodyblock for your colonists. Also, have backdoors in most rooms, so never have a colonist stuck with no escape.

khorum

Murder Apologist
well the support columns in the bait mines are flagged in my home zone.... that wouldnt qualify as my own colony?

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Just turn infestations off if you're doing a mountain base, it's far too annoying to deal with. Dev hates mountain bases for some reason so he added them as a counter and in subsequent patches every safe tactic for dealing with them (lighting up all areas, freezing or burning them etc) got nerfed. It's just a BS event where you get to spend a ton of time micro-ing your colonists and probably still lose some arms and legs.

Think the game was at it's best a few patches ago, most of the changes since then have been spent nerfing various base building and money making strategies and otherwise making sure the game is played "correctly". Thankfully you can mod most of the stupid changes out of it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I'm doing a medium difficulty cassandra game so I can maybe get beyond the stone age :D Kind of want to see the tech tree.

• 1Like

khorum

Murder Apologist
Late game Cassandra is arguably a lot harder than randy tho.

I don't play with mods so your mileage may vary... it doesn't look like there's much escaping these infestations late in the game so I'm thinking about just pulling up stakes and moving the whole settlement.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
If you do, make a note of your mental states. I think moving causes any penalties you had from the previous place to continue. I had a psychic drone that I fled and it was like it was there with me when I settled at the new place. Nonstop mental lunacy.

• 1Worf

shishare

Golden Knight of the Realm
after reading this i decided to give it a shot for shits and giggles.

Suprising how fast a few hours go by with this

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I've been playing kind of a medium difficulty game just so I can see the tech tree a bit. The disaster frequency feels about the same, but raids are usually 1 or 2 with mediocre to bad gear, and stuff like toxic fallout only lasts a few days. I did get the cold snap/toxic double whammy my first winter, but I survived it with only a small amount of rat eating.

I had a really nice crew together. I do construction, then 3 that can all cook / grow / craft, then a dedicated double firey icon researcher.

I then made the mistake of hunting something from the wildlife list without actually looking.
042.jpg

Jenson was the only one I managed to save.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

sadris

Karen
<Donor>
Im getting pretty sick of these infestations... I hollow out all the other surrounding mountains to maximize the chance that they spawn somewhere other than my base but they keep spawning there anyway... is there a surefire way to mitigate the infestations? seems to happen a little too often with my ore drill sites too.
You can put electrical conduit in every square. But its kinda cheaty

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
That doesn't work anymore in 1.0.

Drills will always attract infestations, can't really stop that from happening unfortunately.

I don't think hollowing out other mountains works anymore either, but just to be sure you have to set home areas there - that's always been one of the prerequisites for infestations.

• 1Like

Dull

Molten Core Raider
Just launched the landed ship and wow that was satisfying. That last 15 days were no joke, hadnt played that before.

What an amazing game. First I built up a base, researched and geared up for the coming journey. Second was the journey to the landed ship which was a whole load of new problems. Finally at the landed ship built up a new base, prepared defenses and weathered the 15 day engine startup. Holy hell that was fun.

• 1Like

Oldbased

> Than U
I disable infestations and drill infestations, along with toxic cloud and solar eclipse with the scenario editor/disable event in the start. I play naked brutality with no load save though in rough. I do give them a shiv. It took 5 lives to get to where I am able to self sustain on food, shelter and start building up enough to consider expanding. I kill anyone I see with mental illness of some form on sight. I found out in the first few hundred hours of Rimworld that unstable people cause far more harm than raiders, invaders and traders.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

iannis

Musty Nester
I'd reccomend HardcoreSK. It's a big modpack with its own discord. They have a little self-installer that will check for updates and stuff.

Buncha russians so i'm positive my megahurtz have been haxxed, but it's a tight modpack.

I just can't play vanilla rimworld anymore. It's like "wait, I have steel and wood? Just steel and wood? What about iron... tin... copper... bamboo... I have 3 types of guns? And two types of armor? How do i even play this game, there is no logistics chain! My guys don't even need to POOP!"

They even include a factorio mod for it. But generally I don't see the use of that. Rimworld maps aren't set up to be productive that way. I've thought off and on what it's meant for is to found an automated mining colony a tile or two over and just go caravan in raw resources every week or two, allowing you to keep your central base nice and pretty. But I don't know if multiple colony sites would automate properly. I tend to think they wouldn't. And I don't think you can automate trade routes, so it would be very micro. The idea of it is neat though. A large scale base subdivided into districts. Which is already what you do, sure, but subdivided into seperate maps. You could get some sleek architecture going on without the boundary constraints. Because you can do it for any resource. Ore, Wood, Food... not animals so much. You'd have to make a giant pen and just go a pig slaughtering every so often. Call that FOB-Ted Nuget. Just the base game doesn't support that very well.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
When I ran for it a few games ago, it wouldn't let me start building until I had abandoned my old base. And then I could never go back to that tile again. So I don't think you can do multiple bases?