Rimworld

Goonsquad Officer
I checkerboard my crops to prevent blight. I build all crop fields in the shape of UV lights, and don't make them adjacent. (imagine a checkerboard with black as the crops) Honestly i wall them in and run the UV lights in the summer, and roof it when winter comes.

FIre is my bane because ANY map with lots of plantlife (non snow non desert) i have ever played on a raging wildfire came for me.

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I hate micromanaging blight so I just set my pawns to cut everything unless I have one nearby right when it hits.

Caliane

I checkerboard my crops to prevent blight. I build all crop fields in the shape of UV lights, and don't make them adjacent. (imagine a checkerboard with black as the crops) Honestly i wall them in and run the UV lights in the summer, and roof it when winter comes.

FIre is my bane because ANY map with lots of plantlife (non snow non desert) i have ever played on a raging wildfire came for me.
fire break. Just cut a 2 tile wide path around your base. add floors to keep it bare later.

Edit:eek:h, reading back. someone already mentioned it.

can also use floors to prevent trees from growing in your wind turbine areas.

Last edited:

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You can also put your growing zones in your wind turbine areas, plants don't block them.

Surrounding your base with a brick wall is also a very good idea, keeps fires out and stops wild animals from eating your plants (or your pets).

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Grow crops in your wind turbine zones, don't give up valuable space with empty floors!

Random other shit it took me way too long to figure out:

Heat/cold will leak through walls, and different walls insulate better than others. Wood it shittiest obviously. Building double thick walls is like 99% insulation and should be used with freezers. Optimal setup also includes an airlock at the freezer entrance to prevent heat transfer when pawns go in/out.

At a certain colony size you need a primary cook or two, and dedicated mules to haul for them to keep everyone fed. Make critical priority zones right next to your stove(s) for meat/veggies/whatever and set your cooking bills to "drop on floor" so the cook can just spam create - let the haulers take it all away instead of the cook grabbing ingredients > make a meal > haul meal to freezer etc. Cleanliness of kitchen is also very important, no slaughtering animals in the same room!

Go the assign tab and change everyones outfit from "anything" to "worker". Wearing vests/helmets etc slow work speed and movement significantly. When you get raided just go switch all your fighters back to "soldier" assignment and the will immediately go change gear. You can speed this process by keeping gear on shelves near your defense positions rather than in a big stockroom (gear stored on shelves won't decay outdoors).

Actual walls for your pawns to corner peek from are way better cover than sandbags for your defense positions. Ideal setup is typically something like this (S =sandbag, W=wall): WSWSWS, repeated for all long as your firing line needs to be. Place pawns directly behind the walls so they can peek to fire.

Create a no mans land of sorts outside your defense positions to prevent melee attackers and animals from getting to you too fast. I typically use steel/rock chunks for this. Just make a critical importance storage zone for only those objects, but place it relatively close to your firing line as they do provide cover for enemies, so you don't want ranged attackers hiding behind them too much. Walk speed over chunks is abysmal, and it will significantly slow attackers.

If you're walling in your entire base, you need to leave an actual factual gap/opening in your wall and it typically needs to be minimum 2-3 squares wide, otherwise attackers will just start digging through random parts of your walls. *Most* attackers will take the open entrance, with sappers and the "clever" raid types being the exceptions.

The giant centipede enemies with the heavy weapons suck cock in melee and can generally be beaten to death by a single pawn with a longsword, but are devastating in ranged fights. Do not melee scythers under any circumstances.

Setting more specific work hours than the defaults does have advantages, specifically for social mood boosters. If you set everyone to the same schedule and make their first action joy, followed by an hour of anything, they will typically all go eat breakfast together which stacks up to huge social bonuses if you have a large dining hall etc. You also can set pawns to a single hour of sleep at your desired bedtime if you follow it with 7 hours of anything - they will sleep until they aren't tired anymore and wake up early to go do other activities if they aren't tired.

Make double beds for all your bedrooms, they fill the comfort meter faster than single beds.

Similarly, make armchairs for your colonists to sit in at all your workstations so their comfort stays near max while they work.

Bears are basically the best animal to tame if you have someone with high enough animal handling. They wreck in combat, can be trained to hall, and will eat anything. Wargs are also quite good, but only eat meat and can be difficult to feed properly. Boars are probably the best non-predator as they can also haul and they breed quickly, but they are super messy so be sure you restrict them properly.

Don't overlook the fueled generators. They conveniently make 1000w of power, which is exactly enough to feed a sun lamp for an indoor greenhouse without having to build batteries (the generator will even heat it in cold climates). I tend to use a lot of these rather than hydroponics basins due to components cost.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Well it's been a year or two and I've had no word of my alter ego. I had 2 pod crashes where I rescued the landing person and they just wandered off after I healed them up. I had just the two nonviolents for a long time and the game really let me recover. I got my gens rebuilt and got set up to smelt slag bits. All the mineable steel was way too far.

I tamed a couple wild people but they didn't last long. Eventually I got a really well rounded shooter, and he's still with me.

I got a really super ginormous raid followed by a big pack of angry gazelles. Everyone was down and some got carried off. I figured it was over but a man in black showed up and saved the day.
20181026015044_1.jpg

So now I've got 3 nonviolents including this gem:

014.jpg

I managed to turn a prisoner and rescued another so I'm at 6 now with lots of fuel and stores built up. The game has been fairly nice lately. Had a cold snap and a volcanic winter but it wasn't so bad.

I think I'll be ready if a rescue mission pops up.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I got a triple whammy cccccombo with cold snap + worsening psychic drone + toxic fallout. I took one stab at beating the droning thing and quickly saw I was horribly outmatched. Especially with 3 nonviolents. I decided to just load up anything valuable and leave before people started killing each other.

However that's exactly what happened. Forming caravan - wandering ... people did that for days till they started to starve. One guy flipped out and murdered one of my best. I just could not get them to move. Finally I tried drafting them all as soldiers and then turning them back to normal and that gave them the kick in the pants to get going.

I've plopped down a few squares over and there are no big dangers I can see. I'll rebuild.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Moving has been a disaster. Here's a guy named Grizzly trying to tame a grizzly bear:
015.jpg

I think you can see where this is going:
016.jpg

A kid crash lands and I rescue him and patch him up enough where he can stand, but he has self tend on with zero skill. Since he's not in my colony I can't turn it off. So he gets an infection and treats himself very badly instead of letting my low teens doctor do it. He dies (of course).
017.jpg

Guess who followed me:
018.jpg

I did at least have 2 shooters and some halfway decent gear. My third shooter went wild and roamed off right before they showed up.
019.jpg

I lost the fight and they just roamed destroying everything and picking off the nonviolents. Then I got a man in black again. Does this always happen? He took them both out with a six shooter.
020.jpg

He managed to rescue two and then wandered off in a daze.
021.jpg

Meanwhile shooter 3 turned wild roamed by to steal what little food I had.
022.jpg

Shortly later the wild man went berserk and attacked my medical beds haha.
023.jpg

Izzy is not enjoying her corpse pillow
024.jpg

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I've managed to hang on. This time instead of sort of growing randomly from a couple bedrooms I just built it all at once. This was a bad idea as I had no control over which bits got built first, other than just forcing a certain area via prioritize. I figured out a cool idea based off the "drop on ground" idea above.

You can just move your stonecutter bench around to where the good clusters of stones are. Can really get a lot of blocks fast.

Doing this though I was always on the edge of starvation. I only had one guy that could grow crops badly, and he eventually got carried off in a raid. I actually got off easy, they could have wiped me out but they just grabbed that one guy and left.

I used Ronne's idea above for my fridge and it works great!
20181027172329_1.jpg

A cold snap just hit and I've been hunting alot already. Might be a tough winter. Took me forever to plant too with my crop guy gone. I had to just force 2 people to do it, and they are up to 2 or 3 skill now.

BTW, will those passive coolers fight against a heater placed in the same room? Is it like a modern office where fat guys in suits turn the thermostat to 50 while all the girls are freezing and secretly running space heaters under their desk?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Caliane

place cabinets in your med bays. assign medpacks to them, with critical priority. so med packs will be stored on site, and your npcs won't have to go running for them, when needed.

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
To optimize the fridge some more, use steel or wooden doors because they open more quickly than the stone ones. It also helps to have only one entrance because doors leak heat a lot more than walls.

Helps to put the cooker in a room of it's own because if the room is dirty you have a higher chance of getting food poisoning.

Also don't be afraid to use the nutrient paste machine, it saves a lot of time spent cooking meals early on and they won't get food poisoning from it ever. The mood debuff from it is managable.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
To optimize the fridge some more, use steel or wooden doors because they open more quickly than the stone ones. It also helps to have only one entrance because doors leak heat a lot more than walls.

Helps to put the cooker in a room of it's own because if the room is dirty you have a higher chance of getting food poisoning.

Also don't be afraid to use the nutrient paste machine, it saves a lot of time spent cooking meals early on and they won't get food poisoning from it ever. The mood debuff from it is managable.

Door speeds goes wood > Steel > Stone, however someone did some testing on Youtube and apparently Stone Auto-doors are the most thermally efficient doors when using the shortest airlock due to the timing of the opening and closing speed. It has something to do with the amount of time both are open together. The thermal efficiency may not be worth the cost to movement speed though.

I like to put my kitchen inside the airlock between the freezer and the dining room.

20181028150314_1.jpg

The blue represents "everyday mode". The area has separate critical stockpiles for meat and veggies right against the freezer door and the shelf holds 20 meals. It is a very short distance to the frozen ingredients for cooking and for people eating they just have to go into the airlock to get meals. The meals last plenty long enough to get eaten up without being directly in the freezer.

If it is suddenly "go time" them I set the red squares to the critical stockpiles and just have the bills drop to the floor. Works great.

• 1Like

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I'm gonna steal that. Nice cock statue.

What is that thing that looks like an old stack of 1541 disc drives to the left of the ham? Oh is that part of the stove?

I lost all my people last night. I think there must be some kind of bug with moving from your original location. People just constantly snap for no reason. Biggest bunch of drama queens. Murderous rampage! Final straw? Darkness. Yea it gets dark at night. Try going in your nice 3x4 room with a light and heater and nice slate end table.

So I think I mentioned I lost my one decent crop grower. I trained another one up to 3 or 4 and managed to get a few fields planted so I'm not constantly in a starvation spiral.

Then lightning goes crazy and sets a big ass fire. I have to expand my home boundary or the idiots just stomp out one little piece of grass and then leave it to just burn up again. Just putting that out caused 2 people to flip out because they didn't get to eat right at 6pm. My crop person, and doctor / construction.
20181028065013_1.jpg

Not even a minute later I get this.
20181028065331_1.jpg

Would have been so much better to just let it all burn. Now I have 3 people standing all with 0 to 2 plant cutting skill. Took MONTHS to cut all that. I got it all replanted and volcanic winter hit for 2 months. When I got out of that barely alive by hunting, a wild man shows up and I tame him. He went and got some clothes and then immediately went berserk and beat down my doctor. The only one that can arm traps.

Then FIVE raids in rapid succession
20181028075250_1.jpg

They kicked in the walls and carried everyone off.

• 1Like

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Randy. I waited around to see if any wanderers would show up and they send me this guy:
025.jpg

Can't clean or haul or cook, but he's got great plant skills! Just what I could have used for like 5 solid years. A little after that a guy crashed in a pod (by this time stumpy had already starved) and he also had great plant skills. Game is trolling.

I'm watching a toxic fallout slowly kill a marauding pack that had nothing to attack.

• 1Worf

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Haha now it gave me this:

026.jpg

Can't haul so can't refuel the gens. Can't fight. Luckily the one guy that came after her bumbled into the last remaining trap.

• 1Worf

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
027.jpg

This guy lasted about a minute. The raid chasing him just shot him and carried him off.

After that I got a mediocre person that could at least shoot, and a mission to rescue Kharzette. I decided to go for it. Somehow when I read it I thought there was only 1 guard, but there were 3. It was my crappy settler in crappy clothes and a halfass shotgun vs 3 fairly well armed dudes.
028.jpg

Tiny has the slowpoke trait so I knew I couldn't do any hit and run tricks. I tried to just slug it out but they got me.

I left it running on high speed and wandered off for awhile. When I came back another man in black had arrived back at base. It never paused though so I think the horror of my body strewn base has already shattered his mind.

One cool thing is, some of the bodies have rotted away to nothing, so the others should follow soon. There was only a day or two between each raid, and at least one of them I think started before the last one had even finished leaving.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
My man in black has survived, and I've gotten another colonist in that is quite useful. Here's the shooter:

037.jpg

And the farmer:
036.jpg

The shooter guy got his leg destroyed. I had a raid and it was just one crazy naked guy with a knife. He missed him 5 times then just had to pistol whip him down. I looked after and the enemy had 15 melee skill so I'm lucky he only lost a leg.

I have another shot at rescuing myself:

035.jpg

But it sounds pretty tough. I've usually been able to disable turrets by firing on the power supply out of range, but I've never been up against mortars. I think I might try to gear up really well with flak armor first.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I had a couple weeks of mind boggling stupidity trying to get ready for the rescue. I had the one settler that did everything. Crop growing, cooking, doctor. The others basically did nothing. She gets sick, goes to the hospital.

I send a lesser doc to treat her. Lightning starts a fire in the middle of the treatment and she leaves to fight it even though it's just some useless grass. Turn off firefighting, get her back in the bed. Other doctor has now wandered off.

Get him back, treat.... bar is almost done. Sad wander. So now the only person that can cook or plant is wandering around starving and dying of the flu for a day or two.

I did eventually get there and had a good fight.
038.jpg

The mortar spent all it's shells firing at me from long range while I moved so it didn't ever hit me. Then I just used the rocks as cover and killed the 2 guards and a turret. Rescue number four!
039.jpg

I had barely gotten back and some crops planted when it decided it would be a good idea to send a raid of 16 against my 4. I lined them up at the fortifications someone above recommended.
040.jpg

Yea that didn't work at all. Nobody fired till they came around the walls. By that time it was a giant melee. Only holland actually got to shoot any. I pulled back to the traps and got them to retreat.

Before they had even left:
041.jpg

Yep that's another raid. Just me and another unconscious person laying there. There's basically nothing wrong with me except pain I had flak jacket and pants on. The raid runs into traps and just leaves without consequence. I lay there and lay there and lay there, and begin to starve. There's 18 pemmican right in front of my face, not even a foot away. Days go by and I starve. The end.