RIP Chester Bennington

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Go back and listen to Queen 2 (1973) and Kind of Magic (essentially the Highlander soundtrack from 1985) , then get back to me. Christ the drummer from Queen had better pipes than Chester, ffs. Also, Katmandu and like every Muse song ever pretty much shred that assertion. Shit if screaming in tune is what you want, Steve Tyler patented that shit with Toys in the Attic before Chester was even jizz in his daddies sack.

Rest up! You took that exchange on the Highlander reference alone.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I was just having this conversation with my girlfriend a few weeks ago... How even tho I've never been a huge fan of theirs, I think Chester had maybe the best voice in rock music in a technical sense. To be able to scream his head off and still be hitting every fucking note is just ridiculous. I don't know any other vocalist that can maintain that sort of vocal intensity while maintaining his full range. And he did it for years, most singers that put that much heat into their vocals end up damaging their vocal cords after a few years from spitting up stomach acid. Dude had pretty much a superhuman voice.

I saw LP in London back on their Meteora tour back in the day. This is exactly what stood out to me during and after the show. The guy could just belt it out and nail it the entire live show from start to finish. It was pretty amazing. They even took a random kid out of the crowd who played guitar and let them play along onstage for a song. Pretty cool show overall.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Powerman 5000 > Ministry

Is there any actual industrial PM5k? Even that Fear Factory abortion that keg linked wasn't really industrial, was more death metal unless it changes pretty far in.

White Zombie was definitely industrial for most of their stuff, but I can't recall any PM5k that was. I never listened to them too much though, just the occasional "Oh hey, we're playing White Zombie, so here's some of his brother's stuff now too..." connections.

• 1Picard

Vaclav

Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit, Pearl Jam, Ministry.

Pick one.

Still PJ for me, with a preference for pre-Y2K for the mostpart. (although some of Eddie's more recent covers are amazing - but recent albums are like 1-3 good songs each to me vs solid gold for rearviewmirror, Ten, and other early ones I'm blanking on names currently)

I appreciate Ministry, but on a different level.

But if you want to try to pick on me and someone I enjoy musically - here's some ammo for you. Ben Folds - I'm sure you'll have fun with that.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Still PJ for me, with a preference for pre-Y2K for the mostpart. (although some of Eddie's more recent covers are amazing - but recent albums are like 1-3 good songs each to me vs solid gold for rearviewmirror, Ten, and other early ones I'm blanking on names currently)

I appreciate Ministry, but on a different level.

But if you want to try to pick on me and someone I enjoy musically - here's some ammo for you. Ben Folds - I'm sure you'll have fun with that.
Why would I have a problem with Ben Folds? Do you think I go around shitting on people's choice in music? You have this situation backwards

Vaclav

Why would I have a problem with Ben Folds? Do you think I go around shitting on people's choice in music? You have this situation backwards

With the random PJ and Ministry slams out of nowhere, you could understand my confusion...

Vaclav

I assume you know Eddie?

No more than any other fan - only met one musician in all my years - and that was just bumping into them and stammering like an idiot that I knew them and walking off. (well, REAL musicians)

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
No more than any other fan - only met one musician in all my years - and that was just bumping into them and stammering like an idiot that I knew them and walking off. (well, REAL musicians)
Hmm surprised. Figured he was your aunt' dog's second cousin

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
With the random PJ and Ministry slams out of nowhere, you could understand my confusion...
I didn't slam Ministry, I just said they're not my cup of tea. The whole edgelord anti-church, anti-god bullshit kind of puts me off. not that I'm religious, I just find it corny and tedious. seems like a band whose shtick hasn't aged well honestly. probably worked great in the early 90s though.

the point of the Pearl Jam riff was to cut down whoever came in here acting like Pearl Jam is some sort of beacon of musical integrity compared to Linkin Park. they're not, their live show is absolute shit for reasons I already explained, and they haven't made a decent record since the mid 90's. if somebody would have blown off Eddie's head before Clinton left the White House, everyone would be better off. I don't even dislike their music, like I said I've been to 4 of their concerts, I'm just not up my own ass enough to think that because most of their lyrics are unintelligible whining that they are somehow better musicians than a band who goes back and forth from rapping to screaming.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Thing with Pearl Jam is, I can fire up Ten and Vs and not have to listen to any political rambling. They are fucking amazing albums.

I'd take pre-2000 Pearl Jam over any of the bands mentioned in this thread.

• 1Solidarity

Vaclav

Hmm surprised. Figured he was your aunt' dog's second cousin

Not the direction I networked (or dumb lucked into with in-laws in the case of national political level) myself, had no benefit to my work. Just like these days with my current work I'm networking a ton with aerospace folks.

• 1Picard

Vaclav

I didn't slam Ministry, I just said they're not my cup of tea. The whole edgelord anti-church, anti-god bullshit kind of puts me off. not that I'm religious, I just find it corny and tedious. seems like a band whose shtick hasn't aged well honestly. probably worked great in the early 90s though.

Ministry really isn't edgelord anti-church/anti-god particularly. It's more a message of freedom of doing whatever the fuck you want and not having douchebags restrict what you can do. (and dangers of addiction) Musically he's the one person I'd put solidly into the Libertarian camp with his views expressed. (Real Libertarian not fake ones like Rand)

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Ministry really isn't edgelord anti-church/anti-god particularly. It's more a message of freedom of doing whatever the fuck you want and not having douchebags restrict what you can do. (and dangers of addiction) Musically he's the one person I'd put solidly into the Libertarian camp with his views expressed. (Real Libertarian not fake ones like Rand)
unfortunately I can't take anything you say seriously after you tried to tell me that Pearl Jam isn't actually politically opinionated.

Vaclav

unfortunately I can't take anything you say seriously after you tried to tell me that Pearl Jam isn't actually politically opinionated.

Eddie is insanely so solo (here's near Pussy Riot level - maybe past them even, hard to say - both are towards the top of the spectrum), PJ together is no more so than I've seen any other concert be... but then again one of my earliest music videos I fell in love with was Land of Confusion, which was obviously political in nature (and neg to a President I liked - I actually did some work for Reagan's re-election campaign), so I've probably numbed myself to it a bit. Shrug.

And I didn't state PJ wasn't - just no moreso than most bands. It's rare to find a band anymore that doesn't express some level of political opinion, hell we're living in an age where Kid Rock is gearing up for a run at political office for Christ's sake. (Now, I do break PJ and Eddie apart though - Eddie is all politics all the time, super bleeding heart every other word out of his mouth)

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Eddie is insanely so solo (here's near Pussy Riot level - maybe past them even, hard to say - both are towards the top of the spectrum), PJ together is no more so than I've seen any other concert be... but then again one of my earliest music videos I fell in love with was Land of Confusion, which was obviously political in nature (and neg to a President I liked - I actually did some work for Reagan's re-election campaign), so I've probably numbed myself to it a bit. Shrug.

And I didn't state PJ wasn't - just no moreso than most bands. It's rare to find a band anymore that doesn't express some level of political opinion, hell we're living in an age where Kid Rock is gearing up for a run at political office for christ's sake.
How many people do you personally know on Kid Rock's campaign team?

• 1Worf