RIP Chester Bennington

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
All these debates over who is the greatest singer, best guitarist, gayest lover. Time to put this argument to rest. Prepare to listen to the best ever.

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider
It's an online poll I think so can't take the results too seriously. I'm just glad to see Tremonti finally getting some recognition, for a while it seemed to me like he (and to a larger extent, Alter Bridge) would never get the attention they deserve.

The irony is Myles Kennedy is a better guitarist than Tremonti.

• 2Picard
Reactions: 1 users

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider
As for Chester killing himself.. He did it on Cornell's birthday. He and Chris were close friends.. I think Chris killing himself really did more damage than he let on..

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
As for Chester killing himself.. He did it on Cornell's birthday. He and Chris were close friends.. I think Chris killing himself really did more damage than he let on..

Yeah sadly it took him one step closer to the edge and he was about to break.

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Pearl Jam, Nirvana, AiC, and Soundgarden basically changed music forever in the late 80s early 90s. It was a music revolution that brought us out of the shitty 80s gay hair band and boy gorge pop era. Anyone comparing these music powerhouses to shit tier bands like linkin park needs help.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Actually its soundgarden that are the best. I like A&C too, but they really fell apart without staley IMO. Even their last record took a shit.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The best thing about Nirvana was that Cobain killed himself and everyone got to see that Grohl was all the talent behind that band. Foo Fighters are easily better than anything Nirvana accomplished and his contributions to Queens of the Stone Age produced one of the best records of the last decade (Songs for the Deaf). I love A&C and even like their newer stuff, but its not as good as when Staley was around, for certain.

Soundgarden and Pearl Jam were industry changing bands, though. Its easy to forget how everything was overproduced hip hop garbage for a long time until those two bands opened the door for actual independent bands again. Nirvana might have openned the door for grunge, but they were still pretty much a creature of the music industry at the time. PJ and SG pretty much paved the way for indie acts to reach more people and made rock more important than pop again. I would probably lump Tool in with them on that front, too. Calling them shit is basically being the same kind of edge lord who disses on the Beatles. Sure there have been better musicians, but they changed the craft for a long time and influenced a lot of bands down the road.

• 4Picard
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Pearl Jam, Nirvana, AiC, and Soundgarden basically changed music forever in the late 80s early 90s. It was a music revolution that brought us out of the shitty 80s gay hair band and boy gorge pop era. Anyone comparing these music powerhouses to shit tier bands like linkin park needs help.

What about fred durst tho?

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Pearl Jam didn't change shit. I would put Smashing Pumpkins in that group before Pearl Jam, lest we forget the 90s were foundational as fuck for alternative rock as well.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Actually its soundgarden that are the best. I like A&C too, but they really fell apart without staley IMO. Even their last record took a shit.
Alice in Chains' last album was their self-titled.

Also Jerry's solo stuff isn't half bad.

As for the bullshit that is parading itself as Alice in Chains today, they really should've come up with a new name.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Pearl Jam didn't change shit. I would put Smashing Pumpkins in that group before Pearl Jam, lest we forget the 90s were foundational as fuck for alternative rock as well.

Youre simply wrong dude. Look, I dont really ride on the Pearl Jam bandwagon either, but without a doubt, they had a huge impact on music in early 90s. All those seattle bands did, but the biggest being Alice, Nirvana, Soundgarden. Smashing Pumpkins were no where near as popular.

People shit on Cobain too, but I remember the day I first heard Teen Spirit to this day and was like OMG, WTF is this shit!!! It was 1991, the year graduated. Fuckers released 3 full albums and sold over 75 million records worldwide. One of the best selling of all time.

Fuck, dude I remember the entire scene changed fashion too overnight. It was crazy. People all of a sudden started wearing flannels and baggy shorts, lol.

Last edited:

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
I've started listening to Pearl Jam again because of this thread. Guess I'm voting for Warren in 2020.

• 2Worf
  • 2Picard
Reactions: 3 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I've started listening to Pearl Jam again because of this thread. Guess I'm voting for Warren in 2020.

I think first album is classic. I played the thing so much its burned into my brain. I never really got into any of their other shit though.