RIP Chester Bennington

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I think first album is classic. I played the thing so much its burned into my brain. I never really got into any of their other shit though.

rearviewmirror? State of Love and Trust? Do the Evolution? Spin the Black Circle? Last Kiss? Daughter? Go? Ten was an amazing album (I'd actually debate that Vs. > Ten personally though but it's splitting hairs), but the first three albums are like 80-90% perfect songs. It's not till No Code that they started having a few great songs with stuff to skip. Only album I'd actually consider bad is Riot Act - only "Save You" and "I Am Mine" are worth a damn on that album. [Conveniently, it's the album with keg's maligned Bu$hleaguer too]

Not to mention amazing fucking vocal/vocal+acoustic covers of Eddie's like:

Eddie's voice work is simply fucking amazing. And Stone, McCready, and Ament are each amazing at their roles as well.
I've started listening to Pearl Jam again because of this thread. Guess I'm voting for Warren in 2020.

I'd hope he wouldn't change your politics, but welcome back to not blacklisting a great band over theirs.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Youre simply wrong dude. Look, I don't really ride on the Pearl Jam bandwagon either, but without a doubt, they had a huge impact on music in early 90s. All those seattle bands did, but the biggest being Alice, Nirvana, Soundgarden. Smashing Pumpkins were no where near as popular.

People shit on Cobain too, but I remember the day I first heard Teen Spirit to this day and was like OMG, WTF is this shit!!! It was 1991, the year graduated. Fuckers released 3 full albums and sold over 75 million records worldwide. One of the best selling of all time.

Fuck, dude I remember the entire scene changed fashion too overnight. It was crazy. People all of a sudden started wearing flannels and baggy shorts, lol.

See that's where i disagree. That Seattle/Grunge sound and culture IMO are laid directly at the feet of Nirvana and Sound Garden. Nirvana for the sheer penetration into mainstream culture and Sound Garden for having been around longer and with more skillful and technical song writing. Pearl jam was part of it and while big did nothing particularly memorable more so than either of those bands. The 90s are defined by Grunge and Alternative Rock. I'm simply saying no other band exemplified Alternative Rock more than the Pumpkins. I mean FFS Gish was produced almost simultaneously alongside Nevermind by the same man (Butch Vig) and sonically they have alot in common and Siamese Dream two years later perfected it and by 95 the Pumpkins had released the double album Mellon Collie. The Pumpkins were fucking huge from 92-96.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
rearviewmirror? State of Love and Trust? Do the Evolution? Spin the Black Circle? Last Kiss? Daughter? Go? Ten was an amazing album (I'd actually debate that Vs. > Ten personally though but it's splitting hairs), but the first three albums are like 80-90% perfect songs. It's not till No Code that they started having a few great songs with stuff to skip. Only album I'd actually consider bad is Riot Act - only "Save You" and "I Am Mine" are worth a damn on that album. [Conveniently, it's the album with keg's maligned Bu$hleaguer too]

Not to mention amazing fucking vocal/vocal+acoustic covers of Eddie's like:

Eddie's voice work is simply fucking amazing. And Stone, McCready, and Ament are each amazing at their roles as well.

I'd hope he wouldn't change your politics, but welcome back to not blacklisting a great band over theirs.

I was too busy listening to shit like white zombie, Pantera, slayer, megadeth, down, death, corrosion of conformity etc... to fully listen to pearl jam discography. There was another revolution happening at that time and it had to do with metal.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

Vaclav

I was too busy listening to shit like white zombie, Pantera, slayer, megadeth, down, death, corrosion of conformity etc... to fully listen to pearl jam discography. There was another revolution happening at that time and it had to do with metal.

I actually listened to both - <3 having an eclectic circle of friends. (Besides CoC at least, wasn't familiar with them)

Counting Crows/Tori Amos tier all the way up through Slayer/Pantera tier (or Ministry/KMFDM tier going industrial direction) was on my list back in the day.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I actually listened to both - <3 having an eclectic circle of friends. (Besides CoC at least, wasn't familiar with them)

Counting Crows/Tori Amos tier all the way up through Slayer/Pantera tier (or Ministry/KMFDM tier going industrial direction) was on my list back in the day.

I bet you would dig this cover album.

Vaclav

I bet you would dig this cover album.

Just flipped through to the songs I knew well offhand - definitely solid covers besides Malpractice - but I'm touchy about FNM covers. Will have to search Spotify later to see if the album is up there.

Flipping backwards to Ministry BTW since you brought covers to mind - Ministry & Co-Conspirators stuff is almost entirely amazing covers.

• 1Like

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I think first album is classic. I played the thing so much its burned into my brain. I never really got into any of their other shit though.

If you like Ten (clearly their magnum opus), Yield and Backspacer are decent. Their other stuff is a little too off the rails for my tastes, though PJ Fanbois seem to jizz over whatever the album with the fucking sheep on the cover was. I like them and think they are a great band, but they are not among my favorites or something I would often go out of my way to listen to (Weezer from that same era was more my speed). But people forget that they have been shitting on the music industry establishment since their second album and still selling albums like crazy. That's some Beatles tier level shit, really.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

This is also true. The music industry was in sort of a second Disco era with all the overproduced industry spoon fed shit that MTV was enabling. You guys don't remember Disco, but I am sure you remember crap like C&C Music Factory, MC Hammer, and Back Street Boys somehow being top of the charts, then the actual sales numbers started being released and BAM. Seattle grunge took over as the mainstream and metal went through a revolution. Punk and psychedelic did, too, thanks to groups like Green Day and Radiohead.

• 1Solidarity

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Fuck, dude I remember the entire scene changed fashion too overnight. It was crazy. People all of a sudden started wearing flannels and baggy shorts, lol.

We were still wearing that 1980's psychadelic childrens clothing in the early 90's. You know what i mean, the yellow and bright blue shorts, the bright red color patch shirts, bright bright bright hard colors for maximum pleasure of the cocaine abusers who designed them. We look back on pictures today and we're like holy shit, ma you dressed us in that? "It was the style back then". Ahhhhhh

My grandma bought us some clothes in 1992-1994. We opened it up and it was this flannel black and blue patch stuff. We were all like "what the fuck is this?" and threw the box across the room disappointed. The shit looked like depression in a giftwrap box.

She said 1 phrase to us very proudly, in a very confidently informing tone, "Its grunge!"

I don't have many childhood memories. But that is one of them thanks to Cobain.

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider
I

I thought Ten was amazing, but never got into anything past that.. Funny thing is I knew Eddie when he played in Bad Radio in San Diego.. He was the most introverted, stage shy front man I've ever seen..

Vaclav

I

I thought Ten was amazing, but never got into anything past that.. Funny thing is I knew Eddie when he played in Bad Radio in San Diego.. He was the most introverted, stage shy front man I've ever seen..

Doesn't surprise me at all the hear that. He's got a bit of a waver/stammer in his speaking that always read to me as some discomfort with the limelight.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
The only way to beat Gorrillaz is to hang yo self.
403c1a14bbdc8244b49ea588ccac2776.png

• 1Worf