RIP Chris Cornell

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
One of things outside of his music that made me like the guy so much, was that he always came across as level headed, down to earth, everyone who met him also described him as extremely nice and well meaning. That he kicked his habits and grew and matured like an adult, and a normal human, despite his rock star status, was very appealing to me. Then this up and happens :(

I thought he was the reason Audioslave broke up. He was being a selfish asshole and thought he deserved more money than the rest of the band.

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I thought he was the reason Audioslave broke up. He was being a selfish asshole and thought he deserved more money than the rest of the band.

Financial but it could be framed another way:

"Chris was unhappy with the financial arrangement within the group - he wrote all the music, yet the other three bandmates took an equal share in the multimillion-dollar publishing rights,"

ROCKER WALKS - Pagesix - New York Post Online Edition

Sounds a lot like what happened with John Fogerty and CCR.

Maybe he was greedy, maybe his bandmates were.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Listen to the songs. Cornell didn't write all the music. Those guitar riffs are classic Morello.

• 1Solidarity

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
Financial but it could be framed another way:

"Chris was unhappy with the financial arrangement within the group - he wrote all the music, yet the other three bandmates took an equal share in the multimillion-dollar publishing rights,"

ROCKER WALKS - Pagesix - New York Post Online Edition

Sounds a lot like what happened with John Fogerty and CCR.

Maybe he was greedy, maybe his bandmates were.

I don't mean to turn this political but that was such a succinct analogy for the American political divide. Each side thinks the other is greedy. Both sides are probably right but it's the extremes that are so divisive right now. Of course, the middle suffers the most.

In the case of Audioslave, and I'm speaking completely speculatively, the band probably insisted on things being fair, and Cornell was probably like, "What is fair is me getting a bigger share since I do most of the heavy lifting."

Fans suffer. Cornell labeled a greedy asshole. Now no one makes anymore money. Everyone loses. Sadly, this could be our political future too.

Pharazon2

Molten Core Raider
Cornell wrote all the Audioslave vocals but the songwriting process was totally collaborative. He took the lyrics into the studio, and they'd all sit together and create songs around them over just 2-3 weeks for every album.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Superunknown was the first CD I ever bought. I didn't really get into Soundgarden other than owning that album but I did really like Audioslave.

edko

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Probably more bands will do some tribute songs (with better audio quality), but here's one.

• 2Like

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>

I don't know, and honestly whatever it was its a fucking business thing, I'm talking about him as a person and how he treated other people in daily interactions, not some business decision between millionaires, I don't give a fuck about that to be honest.

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
Plus I'm not saying he was perfect, I never met the guy.

Fuck, I can't believe my heart actually hurts for a person I never met.

• 1Solidarity

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
U2 at the Rose Bowl tonight, Black Hole Sun played before the band came out and they dedicated Running to Stand Still to Cornell. Pretty cool.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
We have one here in Arizona. I can see how many scripts, the provider and the quantity given. The caveat being; if I take the time to login and look, which doesn't happen all the time.

I also get a "report card" that you can see below.

View attachment 140720

I wish all doctors had this stuff. I work in databases and analytics, I don't understand how this hasn't been done by the Feds yet. I guess State red tape? It seems like it would be so simple to do.

Had another family member die of heroin OD last night, second one in six months. I don't take away the fact that at the end of the day the blame is still on them, just wish it was harder for people to get into this shit.

This shit is EVERYWHERE now.

• 1Solidarity

Sentagur

Low and to the left
<Silver Donator>
We have one here in Arizona. I can see how many scripts, the provider and the quantity given. The caveat being; if I take the time to login and look, which doesn't happen all the time.

I also get a "report card" that you can see below.

View attachment 140720
I'm no expert but this "report card" indicates that you in fact are supplying two drug dealers with controlled substances. Should get that checked or something.

edko

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
U2 at the Rose Bowl tonight, Black Hole Sun played before the band came out and they dedicated Running to Stand Still to Cornell. Pretty cool.

Good show? Sorry off topic.

• 1Like

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
I wish all doctors had this stuff. I work in databases and analytics, I don't understand how this hasn't been done by the Feds yet. I guess State red tape? It seems like it would be so simple to do.

Had another family member die of heroin OD last night, second one in six months. I don't take away the fact that at the end of the day the blame is still on them, just wish it was harder for people to get into this shit.

This shit is EVERYWHERE now.

I'm really sorry for your loss man. The fact that opioids are a gateway is not lost on me. It's a difficult balance trying to help people with real pain and not create dependance.

I'm no expert but this "report card" indicates that you in fact are supplying two drug dealers with controlled substances. Should get that checked or something.

I know who they are. It's been rectified. They're not drug dealers.

Good show? Sorry off topic.

Incredible show. Pretty front loaded with hits but if you love the b-sides from Joshua Tree, it's heaven. Encore was pretty damn good too, closed with Beautiful Day, Elevation, Ultraviolet, One, Bad and I Will Follow in that order.

Only complaint, and it's a minor one that has to be forgiven, is that Bono can't hit the notes the way he used to, some songs had to be tuned down (With or Without You, Sunday Bloody Sunday) to accommodate for that.

I think given more time they would have done something more with the video screen, but the Cornell tribute was a nice moment.

• 2Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I'm really sorry for your loss man. The fact that opioids are a gateway is not lost on me. It's a difficult balance trying to help people with real pain and not create dependance.

Thanks sir.

Glad you give a shit, sadly so many doctors do not, and I'm not sure how they are going to fix the epidemic that's going on right now. I also feel your struggle. I have lower back issues that cause me severe leg nerve pain. I've spent thousands on TENS units, physical therapy, all the rollers, balls, massage units, yoga, stretches, silly shit like ginger, magnesium, chiropractor, three rounds of injections in various places with no relief. One of the injections gave me three weeks of relief which was incredible, but it made it all the more shitty when it wore off. My next step is just a shot in the dark laser surgery which isn't covered by insurance, and I just can't do that right now. My Doctor doesn't really have any other option available other than pain meds. Just shitty for people who can't handle taking meds and get hooked. I really wish our pain research would come up with something else / more effective. The feds need to fast track it IMO, I know of a lot of people doing heroin, and several coworkers say the same thing. It needs to get under control fast or we're fucked.

• 1Solidarity

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I have to reiterate that I know jack shit about this topic except what I have heard from Dr. Drew, but his belief is that no one should ever be on opiates long term at all. He claims that they actually make chronic pain worse because your body wants the opiates and will actually manifest the pain to get them. He said that pill junkies would come to his rehab and he would ask what their pain level was and they would tell him 10/10. Then he would take them off of opiates completely, get them through the withdrawal, and ask about their pain and they would say 4/10 when the only thing that had changed was getting them off the opiates.

He also says that it's a problem that when doctors do find out that their patients are addicts and doctor shopping or seeing multiple doctors they get scared that they're going to be blamed for it and cut them off completely without doing anything to deal with the addiction and people just go straight to heroin.

• 1Like

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Thanks sir.

Glad you give a shit, sadly so many doctors do not, and I'm not sure how they are going to fix the epidemic that's going on right now. I also feel your struggle. I have lower back issues that cause me severe leg nerve pain. I've spent thousands on TENS units, physical therapy, all the rollers, balls, massage units, yoga, stretches, silly shit like ginger, magnesium, chiropractor, three rounds of injections in various places with no relief. One of the injections gave me three weeks of relief which was incredible, but it made it all the more shitty when it wore off. My next step is just a shot in the dark laser surgery which isn't covered by insurance, and I just can't do that right now. My Doctor doesn't really have any other option available other than pain meds. Just shitty for people who can't handle taking meds and get hooked. I really wish our pain research would come up with something else / more effective. The feds need to fast track it IMO, I know of a lot of people doing heroin, and several coworkers say the same thing. It needs to get under control fast or we're fucked.

If you have to go out of pocket maybe look at stem cells? Joe Rogan and a bunch of other MMA types have been saying its been a miracle for Back & Joint stuff. No clue on the price tag. Some Doc out of Vegas is supposedly the cutting edge of the current tech.

• 1Like

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
I have to reiterate that I know jack shit about this topic except what I have heard from Dr. Drew, but his belief is that no one should ever be on opiates long term at all. He claims that they actually make chronic pain worse because your body wants the opiates and will actually manifest the pain to get them. He said that pill junkies would come to his rehab and he would ask what their pain level was and they would tell him 10/10. Then he would take them off of opiates completely, get them through the withdrawal, and ask about their pain and they would say 4/10 when the only thing that had changed was getting them off the opiates.

He also says that it's a problem that when doctors do find out that their patients are addicts and doctor shopping or seeing multiple doctors they get scared that they're going to be blamed for it and cut them off completely without doing anything to deal with the addiction and people just go straight to heroin.

I'm really sorry to keep derailing this thread but it seems relevant considering Cornell's struggles.

I agree 100% with Dr. Drew on that. The literature and my own clinical experience bear that out.

Imagine having a bunch of pain receptors that have a wet blanket on them, i.e. narcotics. Because those receptors are blocked, the body thinks something is up and starts producing more and more pain receptors (upregulating). So now, you literally feel more pain. This is dependence.

Additionally, your body becomes more and more adept at flushing the narcotic (metabolizing). So now you need more and more of the same medication to maintain therapeutic effect. This is called tolerance.

Add in the physiologic changes in the brain from chronic use, now you have addiction. Take away the narcotic too quickly, people turn to manipulation, lying, stealing and heroin. Don't give enough pain meds, people have pain and withdrawal. It's not easy.

My personal policy is pain meds 6 weeks pre op, 6 weeks post op, after that its conservative treatment from me or find another provider (I don't mean that in a mean way) to help find a solution to chronic pain.

Providers are definitely scared of losing their license/harming people. But I've seen a lot of providers (especially in Emergency medicine) that are hard core cynical and treat everyone like a junkie pain seeker. This is also the wrong solution.

• 1Like