Routers & Other Networking Stuff

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Palum

what Suineg set it to
These are the settings for my router. How should I then setup my bridge?

SEYLmw3.png

You need to set your internal IP on the bridge to not be the same as the router. Right now the router is set to distribute IPs in a range excluding its own. Since the bridge is trying to claim the same and the lease is not available from the DHCP server, it has no address, hence you cannot connect to it via IP.

Ideally the bridge will have a fixed assigned IP on the router with its MAC address to ensure a stable network, but I find that a lot of routers-turned-bridges have idiosyncratic behavior and it's best to ensure the bridge is set to claim the same IP it's assigned.

lan_setup.png

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Okay, so let me see if I'm following you:

Currently my router, my M5 main access point, my neighbor's M5 bridge and my neighbor's router are all sharing the same internal IP: 192.168.1.1. Basically, I need to make sure that I change my M5, my neighbor's M5 and my neighbor's router to all have their own individual IP's? Or can I keep the M5's at 192.168.1.1 and I just need to change my neighbor's router IP?

So, my router can keep the internal IP 192.168.1.1, but I need to change my neighbor's router's internal IP to 192.168.1.2?

The grid would look like:

My router (192.168.1.1) > M5 Access Point (192.168.1.1) > M5 Bridge (192.168.1.1) > Neighbor's Router (192.168.1.2)

It feels like I'm missing something since you've set your starting and ending IP's at 2 and 254 respectively.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Nothing should be sharing an IP, they should all have their own unique, with the gateway being your original router that's providing the internet. Give all your infrastructure points their own IP, adjust the range if necessary so they never get handed out to another device and then let DHCP on that home device take care of the rest. Someone else can chime in if there is something more to it than that because that's how I'd expect it to work.

All those devices with the same IP are absolutely the problem though I expect.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Oh okay. Yeah, I'm dumb. My main access point is actually 192.168.1.10 and the bridge is 192.168.1.11, so yeah, only my neighbor's router need to be changed. For whatever reason I was thinking that I never changed them. It's actually the gateway IP I didn't change. Which is 192.168.1.1 and correct.

Funny enough, I was over there last night and changed his router IP to 192.168.1.99 and it got stuck saving and never registered the new IP and just kinda broke. So, I'll have to go over there tomorrow, reset it and try again. Hopefully that'll fix it though!

• 1Like

darkmiasma

Trakanon Raider
Just replaced my previous home network with a full Ubiquiti setup instead - Having everything tied together in one view is really nice. My FiOS is going to gigabit tomorrow as well, so this'll be a fun week off coming up.

UniFi Security Gateway 3P
UniFi Switch 24 POE
UniFi AP-AC-PRO (2nd Floor AP)
UniFi AP-AC-PRO (Basement AP)
UniFi Cloud Key

• 1Like

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Currently posting this from my neighbor's house and they're getting 60+ Mbps! WOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOO!

Now, just pray that once I walk back to my house, my internet isn't dead in the water for whatever reason, haha.

• 1Like

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
It works at my house too. Huzzah!

So, question:

I'm going to trade my cable modem in for a new (better) one tomorrow. Is that going to screw everything up or should it just plug-and-play?

Palum

what Suineg set it to
It works at my house too. Huzzah!

So, question:

I'm going to trade my cable modem in for a new (better) one tomorrow. Is that going to screw everything up or should it just plug-and-play?

Stop fucking with it

But yes, possibly. It depends how it's configured. Assuming you mean trade in with the cable company, they may give you one of those dumb AIO modems which means you'll probably need to put that built in router into bridge mode to just use it like a cable modem. But they should swap out the MAC address on their end and connect the service for you at least.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Stop fucking with it

But yes, possibly. It depends how it's configured. Assuming you mean trade in with the cable company, they may give you one of those dumb AIO modems which means you'll probably need to put that built in router into bridge mode to just use it like a cable modem. But they should swap out the MAC address on their end and connect the service for you at least.

Got em swapped out and it all works.

Although, I've had four conversations with them in past month and EVERY-SINGLE-TIME they tell me I don't have the 100 Mbps plan... Even though I've got Speedtests from weeks ago that show 100 Mbps speeds. Fuckers. Anyways, hopefully this time their shitty billing department got it sorted out.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
My Brother In-Law called me and asked me for help with a Cable Modem and a WiFi-Router. His Budget is around $200 and asked if I could help pick the equipment. Normally I would love to do the research but, he needs to know by tomorrow night and I am slammed with work. So I am coming to my FoH Pals to help me, please throw out some suggestions.

aU5jgx.gif

Many thanks!

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Need more info other than he needs a cable modem and router but.... hard to wrong with this combo:

Modem: Motorola SB6183
Router: ASUS RT-AC87U

Should be able to find these for right around $200 - $215ish total.

Put Merlin firmware on the router. Boom have a nice day.

• 1Like

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I have a netgear CM700 modem and a netgear r6700 router. The router does all of the things I need it to do out of the box without custom firmware. The modem is overkill at this point since I only have 300mbps service but it works great.

• 1Like

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Need more info other than he needs a cable modem and router but.... hard to wrong with this combo:

Modem: Motorola SB6183
Router: ASUS RT-AC87U

Should be able to find these for right around $200 - $215ish total.

Put Merlin firmware on the router. Boom have a nice day.
AC router for a dude that doesn't even know how to shop for his own stuff? I'd drop to a ASUS N router, and be cheaper.

• 1Like

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I really appreciate all the responses. Regrading the Merlin Firmware that would just result in me having to do it, which I am not interested in providing more tech support. Tech stuff is not his strength but if you need some handy builder/construction type shit done he is the man, more importantly he is a really good dude so i am happy to help him when I can.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
AC router for a dude that doesn't even know how to shop for his own stuff? I'd drop to a ASUS N router, and be cheaper.

That's why I said more info would be needed but it is hard to go wrong with the combo I'd posted. What connection speed is his intertubes? 50 mbps? 150? 200? 250?

He gave a budget and I gave him a good setup around his budget. Sheesh. Or yeah just give him tech that is older and slower to save him like $50.

• 1Like

Aamry

Blackwing Lair Raider
I have the RT-AC66U and it wasn't hard to set up at all, I can't imagine the 87 being any different. and the Surfboard is simple, plug in and call your service provider with your MAC address

• 1Like

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
That's why I said more info would be needed but it is hard to go wrong with the combo I'd posted. What connection speed is his intertubes? 50 mbps? 150? 200? 250?

He gave a budget and I gave him a good setup around his budget. Sheesh. Or yeah just give him tech that is older and slower to save him like $50.
I agree more info is needed. I just find it pointless to get an AC router, if none of his devices would be on the AC band. Again, more info necessary. As Aamry Aamry mentioned, a RT-AC66U dual N band router I think would be plenty, and save money at the same time.

• 1Like

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I really don't have more info, he is probably just using it to play some Xbox, surf the net and stream Netflix. He is far from a power user. I already gave the suggestions, thanks again guys I do appreciate it.

Vildaar

Trakanon Raider
Hey guys,I just recently upgraded my router from a Cisco Linksys E3000 to a Asus RT-AC88U with the intent of being able to better stream over steamlink to my television. However, since the new router has been hooked up I've been getting random modem resets (SB6141) several times a day. Does any one have any ideas on what may be causing the modem resets?