Routers & Other Networking Stuff

Kiki

Log Wizard
Yeah even 10gig copper is fine as long as it's not longer than 100m. The jump to fiber is significant in price. What do you do with 2 gigs besides bittorrent?

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
The problem is that ATT and Verizon throttle at like 20gb and I have no idea how much I use a month currently, even after calling Spectrum they couldn't see it either apparently.

We have 5g ATT out there but they don't offer a home internet yet, Verizon and T mobile are close but no idea how the signal is there. I hope it's worth a shit. I'll probably buy an external antenna to put up on the side of the house and just hope their 5G hits the area soon.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
LTT had a video or 3 on upgrading their office and maybe his new home (?) to fiber. I haven’t watched them since they were initially posted but remembered they existed. May hold value for end devices and overall network considerations, SFP types, and other stuff.

Very generally multimode is what you would use for short distances, but it seems like singlemode is being adopted more and more as SFP costs go down and you want cleaner migration to potential higher data rates. We still use MM in most of our internal runs or from substation Control House to shelter or in to the buildings. But anyways, seems you could go either way. It’d be a fun project either way.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
lol what no fucking way.

40gb and 50gb, I couldn't remember the exact values. They reduce speeds to like 3mb or something really slow. That's like one game download in 2022.

ATT

vivaldi_dXFqoaZPqc.png

Verizon

vivaldi_C86nkiENF1.png

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
The best connection options for rural life is going to be:
  1. Starlink (probably)
  2. fixed wireless
  3. LTE (maybe)
  4. geosync sats (Hughesnet) that are 36k miles away

This. I haven't experienced Starlink, but my parents have to use Fixed Wireless from AT&T and it's great.

You just have to make sure the tech who installs the router will work w you if you want to use mesh or something.

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
AT&T door to door sales guys come by to let me know that Fiber is available in my area. I don't normally get down with door to door, but I was stoked for fiber and these guys were likeable so I wanted to help them out since I was legit interested. I felt telling em to pound sand then going online to set it up in 5 mins would be bad form.

I ask how the hardware works, and the sales guys tell me that a junction box would be installed outside the house where the fiber line terminates and transfers to the coax cables that run through my house. I know jack shit about it, and decide not to engage the part of my brain that understands physics... sounds simple enough to me.

Fast forward to the day of installation and the tech knocks on my door with a spool of fiber cable in his hand running from the main line at the street, and he says "where do you want it to come in"? I told him my cable junction is at the crawlspace under the house, so he could just hook it up there. He says, "no, the fiber line has to go all the way into the house directly into the modem. There is no junction box, nothing between the modem and the line from the street. I can bring it in the front door or through a window if you like."

I ask him if he can run it in the crawlspace and he says yes, so I get a drywall saw and ask if he can fish it up through the wall from the crawlspace and I'll pull it out the hole, and I can fix up the hole later. Nope. He can go in the crawlspace, and he can even cut a hole directly through my floor, but he can't fish through walls. Install postponed indefinitely until I can be bothered to fish a line from my crawlspace through the wall to prepare for AT&T to drop the fiber line under my house.

In the days since, I've seen other neighbors with the AT&T truck pull up and run fiber from the main line to their houses, and I've caught a couple to ask em where they plan to bring the line in. Every one of them has no idea what I'm talking about.

My nextdoor neighbor just spent a year building his new $3m house from scratch, and he was so excited to get his 1000gb line setup that he didn't want to believe me when I told him my story. Come his install day, I thought he was going to shoot the AT&T guy he was screaming so loud...

Between sales, customer service, and the street team, one hand has no idea what the other is doing, and they're losing customers before they can even hook up.

Anywho, sorry if you made it this far. /rant off, roast away.

anyone else have fiber, what's your experience?

• 1WTF
Reactions: 1 user

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Verizon FIOS for over a decade now, they installed their ONT outside with all the other equipment and fiber ended there. Our house's original broadband via Comcast ran a coax along the side of the house and into the study upstairs which had the modem/router, Verizon simply reused that for their first install. Once we upgraded from 75 Mbps to 150 (years later) they ran an ethernet line along the same path because coax technology capped ~90 at the time. Later, competition in my area did a $80 gig offer so Verizon had to match and we upgraded from 150 to 940 without any further changes.

Side note: we also had a battery backup installed above our fuse box to provide 12 hours of landline phone service in case of a power outage. As soon as we switched that to digital to avoid paying state/federal fees they removed the battery and now it's just a power cord to the ONT outside.

EDIT: Based on some googling it looks like newer Verizon installs no longer put their equipment outside, they will run the fiber into the basement where my battery backup was and install an ONT there. If you have a legacy setup like mine they'll use the outside box to house an adapter, but the fiber still terminates at the ONT and coax/ethernet runs to the modem/router.

Last edited:

Burns

Parents have had Verizon FIOS for over a decade as well and it was hooked up just like Malakriss.

Fiber from the street to the box outside (that housed the ONT), then coax to a Version router. Coax was capped in terms of speed it allowed, so when speeds got upgraded, some years ago, they had to change over to Cat6 from the ONT to the router. They required that you use their router, if you wanted the ability to call customer service on it, but most any modern router would work when hooked to the ONT.

I seriously missed the fiber when I moved and had to use Grande cable.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
AT&T door to door sales guys come by to let me know that Fiber is available in my area.

Our fiber went from the street (obviously) down to the house, through a small hole drilled through the side to the inside. This was a direct path to the modem. They make it look classy, not trashy.

edit: If you are hardwiring your house (assuming you are or did), hopefully you got >Cat5E. Our electrician only installed Cat5A (even though I requested 7 or 8), so now I'll have to get it changed if I want anything faster than 1Gbps.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
hopefully you got >Cat5E. Our electrician only installed Cat5A (even though I requested 7 or 8), so now I'll have to get it changed if I want anything faster than 1Gbps.
did you pay for this?

Last edited:

Malakriss

ISP techs would do external ethernet runs stapled to siding years ago, electricians who do that kind of wiring work (usually referred to as "low voltage") would do the same today. But anything internal, especially fished through walls and floors, you should expect to cost more. Cat 6 prices would only be marginally more than 5E these days but 6A, 7, 8 are price jumps.

Kiki

Log Wizard

I worked for AT&T doing fiber actually and that is pretty typical. You better micromanage the fuck out of them. The place I work for now, we run the fiber from the pole to an ONT (box) on the side of your house, then run copper ethernet around your house to wherever the router is. We also put a battery with the ONT, requires power of course, but if you lose power the ONT will continue to function for a few hours. The cabinets on the street also have batteries so they stay up. If you put your router on battery, you can keep internet even during power outages.

This is my favorite video from working at AT&T:

• 1Worf

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I worked for AT&T doing fiber actually and that is pretty typical. You better micromanage the fuck out of them. The place I work for now, we run the fiber from the pole to an ONT (box) on the side of your house, then run copper ethernet around your house to wherever the router is. We also put a battery with the ONT, requires power of course, but if you lose power the ONT will continue to function for a few hours. The cabinets on the street also have batteries so they stay up. If you put your router on battery, you can keep internet even during power outages.

This is my favorite video from working at AT&T:
what kind of wire is this ? lulz

• 2Worf
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 2 users

Daidraco

Im looking for a good recommendation on a "cheap" wireless bridge. Trying to provide internet to a building 300/400 feet away where people can jump on the wireless just like they would at the base building. I see things that go from 40 bucks, all the way up to thousands of dollars. I only need it for that distance, and the transfer rate can be 100 mb/s for all I care.

Also, a part list would be helpful. Does a wire just go from the router to the outside bridge on building A, then a wire from the bridge on the outside of build B to... an extender of some type, or?

Kiki

Log Wizard
Router > POE switch or POE injector > Radio --------- Radio > POE switch OR poe injector + switch > Wireless Access Point or PC.

POE is to power the radio over ethernet. You could use something like Ubiquiti Air products for the Radios.

Poke around there are different ones:

Last edited:
  • 1Like