Routers & Other Networking Stuff

Remit_sl

shitlord
You are probably going to want to run something with DD-WRT. Mikrotik is probably beyond what you want to learn, but you definitely need something that is not an OEM firmware. Then you can set daily limits, speeds per time slots, etc

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
On a side note. The question and answer section of Amazon is infuriating.

Q: Is this router a good modem for netflix?

A: I dont' know

A: No idea I don't use netflix

A: Couldn't tell you sorry

A: What is Netflix?

WHY WOULD YOU POST ON AMAZON TO SAY THAT YOU DON'T KNOW THE ANSWER TO A QUESTION?
Well if that's the question being asked, it's probably people making fun of how stupid the question is.

Is provolone a good meat for sandwiches?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I have read this thread and I have a basic question.

As I have mentioned before, I have a very low data cap and every once in a while I get spikes in downloads that I can't explain and it fucks up my life royally. I have been told that some routers have firmware that can monitor your bandwidth usage. Will any of them break it down to the point that you can tell which device or better yet which app is using how much data? Would something like aASUS RT-N66U Dual-Band Wireless-N900 Gigabit Routerbe capable of that sort of thing? Is there another one that would be better? Right now I'm using a basic netgear router (WNR1000) that my satellite installer was kind enough to sell me because my old D-link DIR-655 was not compatible with my new satellite modem.

Please keep in mind that I don't speak networking so if you come at me with a bunch of jargon and acronyms I am going to have no idea what you are talking about.
A bit beyond what you're looking to do but wireshark could tell you what IP is sending/receiving what.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Well if that's the question being asked, it's probably people making fun of how stupid the question is.

Is provolone a good meat for sandwiches?
I made up that question because a lot of them are stupid, but every third question on there has someone answering "I don't know" on it.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
You are probably going to want to run something with DD-WRT. Mikrotik is probably beyond what you want to learn, but you definitely need something that is not an OEM firmware. Then you can set daily limits, speeds per time slots, etc
DD-WRT is open source firmware right? The Asus I linked above runs AsusWRT, which I assumed was a proprietary fork of DD-WRT but maybe I'm wrong about that.

Remit_sl

shitlord

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I guess this fits in with kind of what's being talked about.

I have a DIR-655 that works just fine, and I've port forwarded a few things, but nothing major.

Am I doing myself a dis-service? I mean it's one of those things that works, so why mess with it, but I want to make sure I'm not missing some magic setting that could be helping my network somehow.

1 wired connection, multiple wireless devices connected and some streaming.

Thank you.

Remit_sl

shitlord
Unless you are running VOIP or gotta have those low ping times for gaming, your usage is probably less than your available connection and everything is fine.

Or if you do lots of in network transfers, then that might help.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
I believe so, probably with a nicer interface. No personal experience with it though:

ASUS router quick how-to: optimize network traffic with QoS - YouTube

Looks like you can configure limits per client IP and have real time and historical graphing. Probably enough for what you want to do with it
Cool. Thanks. This might work for what I'm looking to do. What is so cool about the Microtik ones?

Did you though? This was straight off the router you linked.
It was based on a true story.

Remit_sl

shitlord
Mikrotik can do anything you could ever want it to do and more. But, its a pain in the ass for your first one.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I have read this thread and I have a basic question.

As I have mentioned before, I have a very low data cap and every once in a while I get spikes in downloads that I can't explain and it fucks up my life royally. I have been told that some routers have firmware that can monitor your bandwidth usage. Will any of them break it down to the point that you can tell which device or better yet which app is using how much data? Would something like aASUS RT-N66U Dual-Band Wireless-N900 Gigabit Routerbe capable of that sort of thing? Is there another one that would be better? Right now I'm using a basic netgear router (WNR1000) that my satellite installer was kind enough to sell me because my old D-link DIR-655 was not compatible with my new satellite modem.

Please keep in mind that I don't speak networking so if you come at me with a bunch of jargon and acronyms I am going to have no idea what you are talking about.
I forgot to reply earlier, but below is about all you're going to get from the N66U with standard firmware. These shots are from the management screen. You may be able to configure a few more options, but out of the box these are the accessible screens. Note that most of the fields are very low to non existent because I just opened the window and not everything was active. I'm actually kind of surprised after looking at it. Probably been a year at least since setting it up and would have sworn there were more options, but after poking around couldn't find anything super useful.

rrr_img_61182.png
rrr_img_61183.png

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
I forgot to reply earlier, but below is about all you're going to get from the N66U with standard firmware.
Thanks, I hoped some of the people with Asus routers that posted earlier in the thread would weigh in. It looks like you can just look at wired vs. wireless and not individual IPs? What happens when you click the "real time" drop down at the top? I'm assuming it will give you some amount of historical data as well?

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
The per device page is updated over real time, so you can definitely see it by IP. The real time box on the graph page just lets you adjust the period of the graph, like 1 day, 1 week, etc...

Renault

N00b
I'm looking for some opinions on a mid-level home wireless router. My parents old one died and I set them up temporarily with a Cisco/Linksys E1000 that was sitting around their house but it seems to be really flaky and cuts in and out a lot. They live somewhat in the boonies so their internet is maxed out at 6Mbps downstream so they don't need a super fast router but ideally something super reliable with good wireless range. The most common stuff I see floated around is the various Asus models RT-N56U / 66U, a couple Netgear's or a Buffalo N600 to be able to run DD-WRT. Anyone have any strong opinions towards any of the above or another suggestion for a reliable home router?

kaxfenix

N00b
http://tinyurl.com/kgngvkcNetgear Nighthawk (r8000) is out now
but the 300 dollar price tag is a little much ..

I have the previous model the R7000 and it is a beast.. I bought it new almost a year ago for 199.00 its dropped a few bucks since the newer model is out.. It handles everything in my house with out issue.