Satisfactory

McShrimp

Molten Core Raider
The only default things to do with coke are sink it or burn it in a coal plant. Or vehicle fuel I guess. The other uses are all alt. recipes.

Are trains just for fun/diversity of logistics? When I played last year I never got one operational because when I started building my first one I realised that they take up too much space, and then I also realised that its easier and faster to just use stacked conveyors.

Super long belts do have 2 game engine issues afaik. One is that items on belts are tracked as individual entities, but vehicle inventories aren't. Eventually more entities = more lag, but its many thousands before its an issue. The other is that anywhere with a belt-to-belt connection loses a tiny bit of throughput. If you notice items don't quite mesh together where belt sections meet, that actually has an effect over the long run. Mind you, its only on maxed out belts, and its like 0.1% per connection.

Mostly I'd say its a matter of scale. Trains take up tons of space and are a pain to build, but once you start to build a network, I feel like it becomes easier to keep adding to that instead of building more belts. In other words, building from A to B is more work than it needs to be, but then building B to C is less work than building A to C. Plus trains carry items, power, and you. Being able to hop in a train and autopilot to anywhere is super handy.

This is what that last save looked like. Started in the green circled areas, and that has most of the basics for the first few tiers. There, trains are a bit of overkill. But the yellow areas are where all the other resources are to finish the game, and at a certain point bringing that together without trains is difficult.

Capture.JPG

fris

Vyemm Raider
I started where you don't seem to have anything, above your 2 middle yellow circles. just other side of that like I guess. Working on Supercomputer, have trains unlocked. can you recommend a region I move to and setup a new FOB? Figure I can learn trains by sending back some of the requirements for Tier 7&8 and the sky launcher thing. Where I am is ok for what I need so far, except Coper and Caterium. I'm at the point where I'll need more nodes of those I think.

my city is very inefficient and a spaghetti mess. neither really bother me, but I know i'll need to work on efficiency going forward. Before, I would just line up smelters to constructors. now i'm looking at the inputs and outputs of each so they align w/ the rate that node is mining. i have 4 manufacturers going and seeing the mismatch rate of things going in I can only imagine getting far worse w/ scale.

McShrimp

Molten Core Raider
I started where you don't seem to have anything, above your 2 middle yellow circles. just other side of that like I guess. Working on Supercomputer, have trains unlocked. can you recommend a region I move to and setup a new FOB? Figure I can learn trains by sending back some of the requirements for Tier 7&8 and the sky launcher thing. Where I am is ok for what I need so far, except Coper and Caterium. I'm at the point where I'll need more nodes of those I think.

my city is very inefficient and a spaghetti mess. neither really bother me, but I know i'll need to work on efficiency going forward. Before, I would just line up smelters to constructors. now i'm looking at the inputs and outputs of each so they align w/ the rate that node is mining. i have 4 manufacturers going and seeing the mismatch rate of things going in I can only imagine getting far worse w/ scale.
The big blue blob in the top middle is my Supercomputer factory, so you can probably find most of what you need there. Its one of the few areas in the game that has almost everything nearby, so its a nice place to set up whatever. Its only lacking Bauxite and Oil, and those are just far enough away that I'd use a train to bring them in.

Otherwise, there's a lot of good resources SE of where you started, but the terrain is pretty shit. I find those baobab trees really annoying to build straight rails through, and beyond that is the big poison swamp is just a pretty terrible place to be. But all the stuff is there. Both of these areas are also good places to build a nuclear plant for the same reasons, you need a bit of everything for nuclear power.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Just unlocked nuclear. The ring design is holding up well. It's a bit laborious to create a ring everytime I add a new ingredient, but it makes teching up for the first time with unknown growth patterns pretty straightforward. I just need to pick an open spot, plunk down some manufacturers and grip n' sip from the belts.

Being able to build vertically is pretty liberating. My high-speed connector factory is the largest with 6 manufacturers, but if I needed to triple it I could as long as I could provide enough quickwire. The high-tier belts go so fast and the vehicles have such high throughput, not to mention trains (which I've ignored thus far). I was worried my ring base would overflow once I climbed the tech tree, but it's doing pretty well. I imagine I'll finish the tech tree with it half full or less.

1642992407031.png

here's my high speed connector factory. The Smart! mod makes it easy to step the splitters, and the AreaCopy mod makes it easy to copy a stack of two if I need to scale up.

1642992583804.png

My power situation is hilarious. I've got a world of inactive factories. Once I start on the phase 4 space elevator stuff my power consumption will be massive, but I'm going to build some nuclear power plants next so that should address that gap.

1642993418599.png

• 1Like

fris

Vyemm Raider
any suggestions on a mod to aid in building? would be nice to save plans, like a 5x5 or bigger platform to start, smelter/constructor configs for iron/copper/steal.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
any suggestions on a mod to aid in building? would be nice to save plans, like a 5x5 or bigger platform to start, smelter/constructor configs for iron/copper/steal.
Smart! and AreaActions are it that I've tried.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Just unlocked nuclear. The ring design is holding up well. It's a bit laborious to create a ring everytime I add a new ingredient, but it makes teching up for the first time with unknown growth patterns pretty straightforward. I just need to pick an open spot, plunk down some manufacturers and grip n' sip from the belts.

Being able to build vertically is pretty liberating. My high-speed connector factory is the largest with 6 manufacturers, but if I needed to triple it I could as long as I could provide enough quickwire. The high-tier belts go so fast and the vehicles have such high throughput, not to mention trains (which I've ignored thus far). I was worried my ring base would overflow once I climbed the tech tree, but it's doing pretty well. I imagine I'll finish the tech tree with it half full or less.

View attachment 394543

here's my high speed connector factory. The Smart! mod makes it easy to step the splitters, and the AreaCopy mod makes it easy to copy a stack of two if I need to scale up.

View attachment 394544

My power situation is hilarious. I've got a world of inactive factories. Once I start on the phase 4 space elevator stuff my power consumption will be massive, but I'm going to build some nuclear power plants next so that should address that gap.

View attachment 394546
Great progress, knew you'd deliver. I'm getting vibes in the circle from your Dyson build

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Great progress, knew you'd deliver. I'm getting vibes in the circle from your Dyson build
Yeah I didn't really plan to do it like that. It wasn't until I was mostly done when I realized how similar it is to my research factory.

• 1Like

McShrimp

Molten Core Raider
Decided to give mods a whirl to help build my huge nuclear plant. I really hope there's just a setting I missed....

damnmods.png

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Decided to give mods a whirl to help build my huge nuclear plant. I really hope there's just a setting I missed....

View attachment 396482
lol, yeah.

In Dyson Sphere Program when you finish the tech tree it has the same end/post-game of "OK, now scale up *everything*". The super early equivalents to AreaActions in DSP worked really well and it was a lot of fun building balanced, compact and aesthetically pleasing factories that could be duplicated quickly. It changed the game from connecting belts to connecting mega-factories and lengthened the fun a lot. Satisfactory's end/post game supports creating beautiful and actually realistic looking factories, which is great, but I'm completing Phase 4 and watching my Assembly Director Systems trickle toward 4000 and I'm having trouble getting motivated to scale up. Even with AreaCopy / Smart! if I went from 1.5/m to 3/m I'd have to lay out *so much* belts/pipes like I've done a thousand times already. I've been letting it run in the background but I'll probably just capture some vids to commemorate the game and move on with the phase unfinished.

McShrimp

Molten Core Raider
lol, yeah.

In Dyson Sphere Program when you finish the tech tree it has the same end/post-game of "OK, now scale up *everything*". The super early equivalents to AreaActions in DSP worked really well and it was a lot of fun building balanced, compact and aesthetically pleasing factories that could be duplicated quickly. It changed the game from connecting belts to connecting mega-factories and lengthened the fun a lot. Satisfactory's end/post game supports creating beautiful and actually realistic looking factories, which is great, but I'm completing Phase 4 and watching my Assembly Director Systems trickle toward 4000 and I'm having trouble getting motivated to scale up. Even with AreaCopy / Smart! if I went from 1.5/m to 3/m I'd have to lay out *so much* belts/pipes like I've done a thousand times already. I've been letting it run in the background but I'll probably just capture some vids to commemorate the game and move on with the phase unfinished.

You just gotta spend a million hours building in vanilla, uphill both ways in the snow. Then when it only takes half a million hours with QoL/mods it seems like a godsend. And be legit happy when this only took ~8 hours to build, part of which was learning AreaActions, but half of it was connecting the dots.
Screenshot20220203-22521400000.png

Screenshot20220204-08023900000.png

One of the reasons I started building like this though was to cut down on that. It saves clicks and materials, but it also makes it much easier to click through Machine->Splitter Splitter->Machine, and if you use all the connections on something the auto-snapping works better for the last few. Its still boring and tedious, but you can trim it a bit. I know, building mechanics strategy is super exciting! Don't know how well it'd mesh with your build/expansion scheme, but something to think about to double-up on the input/output somewhere.
Screenshot20220204-22010700000.png

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Nice work man, did you build a central (mall) resource hub? Glad you took to it, really felt it would be up your ally. You going to play the Dyson update?
Yeah, it's a simple rotary mall fed by a bunch of rando factories I propped up.

I'll play DSP again when it has more content, maybe in like, 5 years.

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I feel like your factory should exude a Zerg-like creep, especially the way your nuclear plant spills over the cliffside. I love it.
Yeah I had a lot of fun building the nuclear factory "into" the cliff-side. I like the water/fluid mechanics in the game but they kind of coerce you into a low-lying and horizontally large factory since pure copper/iron ingots are so strong.

McShrimp

Molten Core Raider
Progress on my nuclear plant. Got most of the big stuff out of the way, now its a dozen smaller sections. I wanted to keep all the radioactive stuff in one big line, but it was just too long to keep flat. It is pretty nice to make one sorta length-wise slice and copy that wide as much as I need. Definitely wouldn't have built this fiddly arch thing 13 times.
Screenshot20220205-11573600000.png

Screenshot20220205-15154000000.png

I was going for that big dome thing they put over Chernobyl, but it came out way too thin, oh well. The rest of this place is gonna be basically flat, figured I could put some effort in. Forgot about lights and walkways though. Way down at the end of almost 900m of machines, it all culminates in one single Awesome Sink that'll eat one Plutonium rod every ~14 seconds. Sadly a ways from firing it up yet.
Screenshot20220205-15164700000.png

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

McShrimp

Molten Core Raider
Operation: Pave the Swamp coming along well, though the first picture is hard to tell. I wanted to go for the same angle for a time-lapse type effect, but all the new stuff is too far away. There's a big tram line with some mining outposts on it as well, but there's not much to show on that, and the uranium is still unfinished.
Screenshot20220210-19252500000.png

Screenshot20220210-19225300000.png

Other than the all the temporary wiring, the topside is pretty neat and tidy. The bottom side though, that's a bit of a different story. The poison gas and random monsters I paved over just add to the ambiance. Pure white concrete covers all.
Screenshot20220210-19221200000.png

My not-yet-active power plant draws a ton of power, so it seemed like the perfect opportunity to go overboard on switches for each section. I could be generating power by now, but I don't want to deal with it being all radioactive and waste piling up. Hopefully I can fix that this weekend.
Screenshot20220210-19233900000.png

• 1Like

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
Is it possible to treat all the waste and feed it into a sink? I've never used nuclear power because I hate the idea of making something that can't just run forever. I haven't looked at what was added in the more recent nuclear updates.