Satisfactory

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
What's the advantage to stacking them? I kept them unstacked to allow me to stack the same type later, and make it easier to add a splitter / merger to the one I want.
The alluvial fan at destination tends to work better imo when stacked. For needing more of the same type higher tier conveyor is normally the solution. The iron plate is probably the only thing likely to accede the max through put of the highest tier belt. You end up with some mess no matter what, lots of people like a "Mall" which has all their components feeding to a room and when you have that many items spaghetti conveyor system is inevitable

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
My builds tend to be as clean as I can get them at the surface level. Building them to look more like a city.
Capture4.PNG
Capture3.PNG
Capture2.PNG
Capture1.PNG
Capture.PNG

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
As the sublevel (engineering lvl) it is rather insane number of conveyors. I tried limiting myself to just 2m of height and that made it quite a compacted space.

Capture7.PNG

Down at ground level, for raw resource collection I don't tend to do anything special, I just pick a central area of a cluster of nodes and build a train station then all the resources for that area flow to station and then brought by rail to the city.

Capture9.PNG
Capture10.PNG

Last edited:

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Would really need video to show this foundry but this is an iron smelting facility that processes about 1000 ore /min.

Capture11.PNG

I tend to use spreadsheets to help me keep track of everything
Capture12.PNG

Schematics of layouts are helpful
Capture13.PNG

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
The alluvial fan at destination tends to work better imo when stacked. For needing more of the same type higher tier conveyor is normally the solution. The iron plate is probably the only thing likely to accede the max through put of the highest tier belt. You end up with some mess no matter what, lots of people like a "Mall" which has all their components feeding to a room and when you have that many items spaghetti conveyor system is inevitable
Interesting, I kind of figured even the highest tier belt would start to bottleneck as I scaled up. Maybe I'll start overlapping different materials when I get to ten rings wide. I just built my first oil extractor, so I'm just hitting mid-game. I have no real clue how many different items might go on that circular belt.

After seeing where my base actually is on the map ( [SCIM] Satisfactory - Calculator ) I'm considering the merit of halting toward the center and making a ring there. Maybe later I'll create a more well-designed ring in the center. Or not, it feels like I have all the resources I need, no idea if I'll need to start mainlining some random resource on the other side of the map all the way to the far south where I'm at.

Your layouts are great, very authentic industrial, very clean. I kind of like the exposed factory in a wilderness look I'm using, but that's probably because I'm new at the game.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
One of the nice things is you have a huge map you don't have to start a new save to just do something different so there is no harm in starting a different setup you could have three completely separate bases on the same save done entirely different. It's nice to not have to go through the unlocks over and over. If I had an old base that I kinda wanted to ditch at your stage I'd just hook up everything to an item sink and make sure its self sustaining and then just leave it and go start another one. You'll definitely want to travel by vehicle though.

My mind is calmed by this type of "work" . I love engineering and problem solving and sometimes I need to turn the brain off from RL problems. I think games like this can hone real life problem solving skills. Organizing complex systems is good practice but I do think there is also a creative outlet for me. I want form and function but I tend to want form that I know is realistic. I have enough engineering and building experience that I like to design things in a manner that I feel would actually work. I could tell from some of your other gaming experiences shared that you are not that dissimilar in the enjoyment of symmetry and the aesthetic.

Capture14.PNG

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
My mind is calmed by this type of "work" . I love engineering and problem solving and sometimes I need to turn the brain off from RL problems. I think games like this can hone real life problem solving skills. Organizing complex systems is good practice but I do think there is also a creative outlet for me. I want form and function but I tend to want form that I know is realistic. I have enough engineering and building experience that I like to design things in a manner that I feel would actually work. I could tell from some of your other gaming experiences shared that you are not that dissimilar in the enjoyment of symmetry and the aesthetic.
I haven't given it much thought and I'm just learning the ropes in Satisfactory but looking back at previous builds I've done in games I tend to try and "unify" the aesthetics promoted by the game with what is materially-efficient once built and time-efficient to build. I really like the verticality and vehicle transport in Satisfactory, so I'm kind of embracing that.

Satisfactory clearly gives you the tools to make really clean looking factories, as shown in your build. I don't know of any game that tries to do that to that extent other than Maya or Blender :D

Last edited:

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Christ...ANOTHER goddamn storefront? Didn't even know this existed! I want this, but I'm not installing another storefront.
This comment is three years old, but I figure I'd drag it out of the grave even if it'll annoy Brahma. Epic gets a pass from me on their Epic Storefront because they are supplying the game dev community (as well as non-game devs like me that use Unreal!!) with a pretty far-reaching ecosystem that is 100% free to use and sell content on until you start making over a million $.

Not only does it let medium dev teams of 33 people like Coffee Stain Studios make an incredibly beautiful/stable game like Satisfactory, but it also makes it a lot easier to make a modable game. A good example of this is the below reddit post which includes a Satisfactory mod that is just composed of free shit on the Unreal Marketplace but adds 345 items in the game.

McShrimp

Molten Core Raider
Alternatively, big ugly floating grey platforms focused on making big numbers! As much as I love the look of Blazin's stuff, and always mean to go back and touch things up, I just wind up building another thing or troubleshooting what already have.

This was my main base on my previous save. It was basically a big train roundabout with stops all over, and train collision totally ruined that plan. Despite it being easy to go elsewhere and restart, I had to give this one up because it takes like 30sec to autosave, and gets choppy in various parts of the world (though this is mostly my ghetto CPU's fault).

Screenshot20220117-12420500000.png

I do try to make things look somewhat nice and neat where I can, but a lot of belt clipping occurs due to laziness and simplicity.

Screenshot20220117-11360600000.png

Screenshot20220117-11342300000.png

• 1Like

McShrimp

Molten Core Raider
This place is what I like to do in the game. Started as a simple aluminum facility based mostly on convenient location, but at some point it needed to be rebuilt for new recipes, and the whole project kept spiraling out of control until it got to this state. But almost all of it was either nearby, or underutilized/waste production from elsewhere in my sprawl. Puzzling out the different recipes and logistics and then watching the whole thing work what draws me to the game. Not so much making it look pretty, though I do feel like I should apologize when I share pictures.

Screenshot20220117-11483400000.png

All of that, and more besides, is just to supply these 8 machines, making 6/min Assembly Director Systems, which doesn't sound like much, but its the top of a very big pyramid. And then they go directly into the trash.

Screenshot20220117-11465700000.png

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

McShrimp

Molten Core Raider
I usually get some idea and then just build it, then later figure out that it didn't work. This place is 50/min Heavy Frames, which were supposed to be for Thermal Rockets. Except I built this first, then finished out the rest of my math, and basically rage-quit for a month at the thought of building 100+/min Modular Engines. Then the purpose of this place changed about 5 more times as I figured out what to do with the frames and everything else around it.

Screenshot20220117-11330600000.png

This place makes Batteries to supply various drone setups all over, and the idea was that tons of drones would be flying around this clifftop facility like some big beehive. But most of them only come back like once every 3 hours. And I used the old battery recipe when doing the math, got to the top had to start over and rebuild it. Twice.

Screenshot20220117-12451000000.png

And this place makes 40/min Super Computers from the Crystal Computer recipe, and the idea was to cap it off with these 60x Manufacturers doing Oscilators. Focused so much on stacking that part I figured the rest would fit underneath. All that to the left is "the rest"

Screenshot20220117-11550900000.png

McShrimp

Molten Core Raider
And this last picture I think pretty much sums up that save. It wasn't pretty, kinda boring, but it got the job done.

...And then all my trains crashed into each other.

power.JPG

Screenshot20220117-11401000000.png

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
This place is what I like to do in the game. Started as a simple aluminum facility based mostly on convenient location, but at some point it needed to be rebuilt for new recipes, and the whole project kept spiraling out of control until it got to this state. But almost all of it was either nearby, or underutilized/waste production from elsewhere in my sprawl. Puzzling out the different recipes and logistics and then watching the whole thing work what draws me to the game. Not so much making it look pretty, though I do feel like I should apologize when I share pictures.

All of that, and more besides, is just to supply these 8 machines, making 6/min Assembly Director Systems, which doesn't sound like much, but its the top of a very big pyramid. And then they go directly into the trash.
So for a mega-factory like this, how do you typically get from mining ore to the top of the pyramid? Do you bring the raw ore in by train and then process it from the ground up to the Assembly Director Systems?

Also, it's not a big deal but I kind of wish the awesome sink was just the Space Elevator. There is something cool and a little mysterious about being this expendable agent of extraction destroying the local habitat to rapture goods to unseen space gods. Having the game transform from that to a fucking joke with tickets is goofy.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Epic gets a pass from me on their Epic Storefront because they are supplying the game dev community (as well as non-game devs like me that use Unreal!!) with a pretty far-reaching ecosystem that is 100% free to use and sell content on until you start making over a million $.
lol what a loon

also Coffee Stain is part of an extremely large media group, they aren't some indie studio.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
lol what a loon

also Coffee Stain is part of an extremely large media group, they aren't some indie studio.
They aren't "some indie studio", they are a "medium dev teams of 33 people". Even if they were owned by Disney they are greatly aided by Unreal Engine and Satisfactory is better than what it'd be if they went with Unity, OGRE or they rolled their own engine.

McShrimp

Molten Core Raider
So for a mega-factory like this, how do you typically get from mining ore to the top of the pyramid? Do you bring the raw ore in by train and then process it from the ground up to the Assembly Director Systems?

Well that location was a bit of a hodgepodge. Most of it was raw resources processed on site, but there were some other "finished goods" that came in from other factories where I was making overkill amounts. And in one dumb case, aluminum was made there, sent via train to the drone hive to be turned into batteries, and then flown back via drone, I think because I didn't have room to make another train platform.

The Super Computer one though is more self-contained. The big train rail on the right brings in bauxite, and you can see in the top-middle there's some stuff back there that comes over, but most of the miners are in/around that big blob somewhere. I like to bring it all to one place when possible, but sometimes it just makes more sense to split it up. Or sometimes its a matter of compressing stuff, like one place builds Encased Beams on site to fill one train car, rather than 3 bringing iron/coal/limestone.

Also, it's not a big deal but I kind of wish the awesome sink was just the Space Elevator. There is something cool and a little mysterious about being this expendable agent of extraction destroying the local habitat to rapture goods to unseen space gods. Having the game transform from that to a fucking joke with tickets is goofy.

I could be wrong, but I thought something in game mentions that it still sends the sink stuff to FICSIT, just in the form of energy or something, rather than actual goods. At least that's my headcanon, must appease corporate space overlords!

edit - I guess I didn't really answer how I do things in the mega factories. I try to do things in big blocks by each step, and then feed those into each other, manifold style I guess its called? So all the Ore->Ingots in one area, then they all flow to Plates/Wire/Etc after that. And often up against belt limits, so there's some form of balancing/smart splitting in between. Things that really expand in # of items I try to keep localized, i.e. send a belt of ingots, but do Ingots->Rods->Screws right next to where they are needed. Or the opposite if possible, build right next to the miners and do Ore->Ingots->Wire->Cable and ship the Cable elsewhere. I try to locate stuff nearby where it will be used, like I'll make Pipes and Wire near where I make Stators, but that usually only lasts 2-3 steps before going all spaghetti from block to block. Production generally flows upwards, but sometimes liquids make that tricky, especially byproduct liquids. It takes longer and longer for each stage to fill up, so I usually build one section and run that into a sink while I build the next and try to troubleshoot as I go.

Last edited:

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
I've always wanted to do a drone only base. Would be stupid inefficient and a huge power hog but figured it might be fun to see all the hundreds of drones whipping around

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
Are trains just for fun/diversity of logistics? When I played last year I never got one operational because when I started building my first one I realised that they take up too much space, and then I also realised that its easier and faster to just use stacked conveyors.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
my circuit board factory, first usage of oil, don't know what to do with fuel or petroleum coke yet

1642478110208.png