• Prefer raid content instanced

Votes: 39 37.5%
  • Prefer raid content not instanced and contested

Votes: 32 30.8%

• Total voters

LulzSect

Well-Known Memer
<Banned>
My last great experience with Everquest was Project 1999. (2011-2013ish)

It was pretty dope playing a "trying to be classic" server and then Red launched and I was completely hooked. I almost rolled on Agnarr, but the truth is it doesn't sound very classic albeit entertaining thread.

Unfortunately as classic as p1999 is/was, it has become quite custom over the years due to a multitude of reasons. (Griefers, edgelords, Neckbeard tryhards, professional unemployeds, etc.)

You can't go home again, but I would give a TRUE classic server launch a shot again; PvP or not - for sure if it was a fall/winter release!

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
You can replicate the 1999 conditions all you want, it will never recreate the 1999 feel. The throngs of real noobs, roleplayers, and just immersion seekers are now a tiny minority. Pvp servers even moreso, you wont have the throngs of basically blue players who just want a challenge. Everyone is there to pvp. That can be good or bad, view depending.

Also if agnarr has taught me anything it's that the p99 playerbase is, on average, fucking terrible at tlp eq.

I want a progression server with meaningful tiers, rapid progress, and heavy catchup mechanics. One that starts in luclin, then unlocks all 65, then all 70, for example. One that has live or even fucking better-than-live xp rates when below the current tier, eg 1-59 when in pop or 65s state of the server. I want motm to diminish and vanish, while potentially raid and even in general the loot drops increase, over time.

A fast paced server that doesn't leave people bored or stagnant because content keeps jumping forward. Fuck these 3 month and even longer for one expansion bullshits.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Reht

Molten Core Raider
Yet those fuckers actually wonder why many of us prefer to box characters rather than play with them.

yerm

Agnarr has lots of p99 people?

Apparently yes, and they usually suck. Even at shit like navigating, where I was assuming a p99er would be awesome. I have met one I think is good and dozens of shitters.

It might not be all p99ers. Maybe they're the shitters coming, and the good ones stay on the emu. They're sending people that have lots of problems, and they're bringing those problems with us. They're bringing ninja afks. They're bringing fear of charming. They're noobs. And some, I assume, are good players.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It is hard to be "bad" at EQ. What I don't understand is...

The Mage's that forget to send their pets...
or Wizards who show up once every 10 min's to empty their mana bar rather than nuking down runners...
or the Enchanter you have to beg for clarity 3 times before you get it, then the fag makes a snide comment about it...
or the Rogues that attack mobs from the front...
or Tanks that can't taunt more than 2 mobs at a time...
or the Necro's that cast 3 minute DOTs on mobs that live for 20 seconds...
or Cleric's who OOM every other mob because they spam flash heal on the tank...
or the Bard that cannot pull without dieing and still dies when your Ranger pulls because get sit agro from AFK twisting worthless songs...
or Monks that pull 10 mobs instead of 2 and feign death while the entire group gets wiped...
or Shaman that never bought Cannibalize because, who needs it when you can just sit down and med...
or Druids that don't have an evac memmed, because they need 6 spell slots devoted to DOTs and shit like turning themselves into a tree...
or Rangers that join the group and only shoot arrows to get their skill up, while doing 5% of the dps of everyone else.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
You left out one of the biggest factors for why the game has turned into such a crap hole now. Krono.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Reht

Molten Core Raider
You left out one of the biggest factors for why the game has turned into such a crap hole now. Krono.
That's only applicable on some of the servers.... Really has no bearing on the shitshow that live has become.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Reht Reht It would happen on the rest if anyone played on them. Ask the 10 people on each of the rest how they feel about it.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Q qwertyqweqwertwqert

EQ will be much better and more wow like, if they made quest NPC "rares" spawn automatically after killing a place holder.
For example, Im trying to get my HE cleric neck item, i have to collect 4 rancorous ghats hearts, which spawn somewhere in the zone, so i first have to find them( i actually made an alt ranger because fuck brownies in the ass).

After that I have to kill the skelly in the obelisk, but only in the night time, followed by a what 10-20% chance of spawn for the Quest NPC, spawn change.

Fuck that man, that is literally hours waiting for crap. I have better things to do with my time than watch my mana regen for 10 minutes to try again. One time, kill the PH, spawn 100% after.

Agnarr sounds hilariously terrible, and I'm sure it sucks to group with those people, but isn't that what early EQ was like? It was for me. Everyone I grouped with played like shit. Wizzies would cast their biggest nukes on the pull, and end up tanking the entire fight. Druid would aggro it by healing the wizzy and then run in circles while everyone has to chase the mob around like Benny Hill. I liked that it was so chaotic because it gave everyone so much to learn. EQ got kinda boring once everyone nailed it and knew how to tank, dps, heal. Also most healers only had 1 heal back then, the HoT and stuff came a lot later in the game.

You don't get shit like trains on most of the servers I play because everyone knows how to play too well. I really like that noobs are still coming to EQ and having a chaotic experience. Although, I hate playing with shit people, I think modern gamers are generally shit. I play a lot of online games and people are generally really bad. Fun for PVP but frustrating as hell in a team game when team work is essential.

Its the main factor in the box armies.

I haven't seen how Krono affects the game really. On the server I play on people trade with it and everyone is so rich, it takes like 10 krono to buy an end game item which seems crazy to me, but I don't play end game so I never cared about all this stuff.

But I do think SOE did a bad job at making this game F2P because predictably they went for the P2W approach. There are lots of F2P games that survive on cosmetic stuff only, but EQ lets you buy far too much of an upper hand. You can just buy a level 85 character straight off, which out of 105 total levels is almost the whole way, and it comes with great gear. So if you want to start from scratch you can just buy one of those guys and power level the hell out of yourself. And there are loads of things you can buy to get an upper hand, on one of the servers I play, you can buy a Krono with real money, then sell it in game for about 2.5 MILLION plat. That is textbook paying to win. I always thought EVE did it the smart way but however it went wrong in EQ, is bad. The subscription thing isn't too bad, playing without it is otherwise doable, and buying it is still desirable because of the extra AA's and stuff.

Not letting people in the global chat channel is a bit baffling though, especially in a game that already seems completely dead to new players. The server might have 1000+ players on it but you will never see or hear any of them when you are starting out. I think good ruleset servers could bring in a lot more players, but I think their F2p model would be a stumbling block.

Anyway, that poll shows people want kind of the opposite of what is currently on offer. Mercs, Defiant, etc. is only wanted by a quarter of voters, and most people want progression servers. Seems clear Daybreak need to get busy bringing out more of those servers and try to get some better rulesets.

Last edited:

yerm

It is hard to be "bad" at EQ. What I don't understand is...

The Mage's that forget to send their pets...
or Wizards who show up once every 10 min's to empty their mana bar rather than nuking down runners...
or the Enchanter you have to beg for clarity 3 times before you get it, then the fag makes a snide comment about it...
or the Rogues that attack mobs from the front...
or Tanks that can't taunt more than 2 mobs at a time...
or the Necro's that cast 3 minute DOTs on mobs that live for 20 seconds...
or Cleric's who OOM every other mob because they spam flash heal on the tank...
or the Bard that cannot pull without dieing and still dies when your Ranger pulls because get sit agro from AFK twisting worthless songs...
or Monks that pull 10 mobs instead of 2 and feign death while the entire group gets wiped...
or Shaman that never bought Cannibalize because, who needs it when you can just sit down and med...
or Druids that don't have an evac memmed, because they need 6 spell slots devoted to DOTs and shit like turning themselves into a tree...
or Rangers that join the group and only shoot arrows to get their skill up, while doing 5% of the dps of everyone else.

What's worse is it's easy to be "good" at eq and people just don't push themselves...

Paladin healing the puller on incoming to grab agro on every add. Rangers too.

Cleric NOT doing that shit so they don't have to tank. Better to top off before mobs than drop a CH early and tank.

Grouping up or sitting next to the mob when bard is manasonging so they dont oor you when in melee.

NOT hugging nuts vs caster mobs, even if its just a few feet of spreading, so they can't ae the group.

Tanking all the adds and letting whoever (usually clr or slower) tank the first mob, in a train. This instead of tanking one dps'd mob while clr and ccer (often also slower) tank multiple mobs.

Play in 3rd person.

Dump on big pulls and/or charm breaks as caster dps. Nobody gives a shit about rain efficiency on singles where you won't mez break, the pet still shits on your dps. Burn when it fucking matters.

Charm. Yes you too druids.

Really though 90% of not being a shitter = not being an afker.

Q qwertyqweqwertwqert

EQ will be much better and more wow like, if they made quest NPC "rares" spawn automatically after killing a place holder.
For example, Im trying to get my HE cleric neck item, i have to collect 4 rancorous ghats hearts, which spawn somewhere in the zone, so i first have to find them( i actually made an alt ranger because fuck brownies in the ass).

After that I have to kill the skelly in the obelisk, but only in the night time, followed by a what 10-20% chance of spawn for the Quest NPC, spawn change.

Fuck that man, that is literally hours waiting for crap. I have better things to do with my time than watch my mana regen for 10 minutes to try again. One time, kill the PH, spawn 100% after.
Yeah back in 99 people used to resign themselves to insanely long camps. I just don't think it works anymore. Most people won't put up with it anymore. It was one of the things I hated about EQ. For most people getting jboots was a minor quest they can hardly remember, but for me on a streak of bad luck, it took me something like 40 hours. Shit like that isn't acceptable. WoW's way of getting rid of this was to just make everything a quest, and I think that is better, although I think they went too far with it. Middle ground would be perfect for me. Quest for most items, kill mobs for xp.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user
p.s. Bonus exp for a few days or week or something in EQ at the moment, and the login server is so rammed I couldn't even get in! Not bad for an 18 year old game. (Unless the login server is just crap).

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
EQ is dying, and they're milking the last bits they can out of it.

Been that way since the second round of Progression servers.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Q qwertyqweqwertwqert

Or at least put it in a zone that's relevant. Needing to farm level 20 zones for 10+ hours when you're level 50 was the dumbest fucking design ever.