• Prefer raid content instanced

Votes: 39 37.5%
  • Prefer raid content not instanced and contested

Votes: 32 30.8%

• Total voters

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
That's what I do. Although I recently gave up on the 6 box because it wasn't as fun as just playing 3 or 4 with a merc. The exp is slow as fuck though either way. This fast exp event at the moment makes it bearable but not sure how long I will last after that ends.
What do you mean the XP was slow?

With my setup I kill a mob every ten seconds, and each mob in EoK gives 1AA or more.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user
Well I started from scratch so I can't pull trains on myself. I have to pull one at a time and hack it down in like 20 seconds, then go pull another which takes me about a minute. It is slow as hell. This is normal exp too because I'm level 68 or so with no AAs yet. It would be so much easier if I could send the merc in to fight like a pet, but he will only assist once I get aggro. Takes a while to split up the mobs too.

I like the challenge, I just don't like the pace. On another server I have a bunch of uber pimped characters and I can pull a train of 20 mobs on myself, and tank them all while my group nuke them to death one by one. But that server was no good.

Last edited:

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
That is ridiculously easy to fix...
If you want to fix bind rushing you basically have to make the already hefty death penalty worse. If you disable immy healing you basically kill powerleveling and helping friends with vastly differing levels. On the racewar Zeks people basically stayed at 51 so the level 60 players couldn't touch them.

And even if you fix those things: people are most creative when they want to find ways to be a dick to each other.

And I'm not convinced about the "game centered around poopsocking" argument. They design lots of stuff to do, and for it to take a long time, it is up to the players how much time they put into that.
It's not about only poopsocking, it's specific about "because there are no instances/shards only one poopsocker can do specific content at a time". And of course everyone wants to get the best stuff, because on PvP servers you have to be competitive with other people.

Also, a story from the Kunark era: On the racewar Zeks the dark team had no rangers, druids or bards. This of course included stuff like tracking, and for the Sebilis key you had to track two specific mobs. So the dark team basically got shafted here. Only a select few knew about ShowEQ then. In the end the dark team paid some druid to track the mobs, the other players found out about it and then insults and death flew around until that one character was basically not logging on anymore, as the other players made life hell for that one character who was branded as a traitor.

Of course it was horrible for that person, but basically that was the way the community policed itself. This wouldn't work anymore today, because there is no "community" anymore. Also, the basic game design later needed bards for resists and stuff, so X-teaming became the norm.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Of course it was horrible for that person, but basically that was the way the community policed itself. This wouldn't work anymore today, because there is no "community" anymore. Also, the basic game design later needed bards for resists and stuff, so X-teaming became the norm.

And we're back, full circle, to the dogpile that the "EQ community" has become. There is no saving the game, because let's face it: The game itself was only half the reason that we played. The community was the other half, and it's done like dinner. On its own, on the merits of the game alone, EQ falls flat these days unless you are all about slogging it, which appeals to some people, sure.

I disagree, I don't play with anyone and the people I used to play with no longer play. So I play alone and enjoy it, playing casually, doing dungeons like Howling Stones and Velks and stuff by myself.

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
The game itself was only half the reason that we played. The community was the other half, and it's done like dinner.
To be honest, a large part of the appeal of EQ was the utter naivety of the developers. We basically played PvE, PvP and "Players vs. Developers" where we tried to find broken shit and exploit loopholes and bugs, like pathing issues. Stuff like "feign death split pulling" came from that.

• 1Like

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider
The mistake there IMO is developers not embracing player's emergent gameplay. Players will always find ways to do things different than developers intended. To me that's what makes gaming cool. It's one of the things that makes games like Horizon Zero Dawn, and Breath of the Wild so amazing. Players aren't force-fed the way to do things and can experiment with new things.

• 1Like