Votes: 36 34.6%
  • Prefer raid content instanced

Votes: 39 37.5%
  • Prefer raid content not instanced and contested

Votes: 32 30.8%

• Total voters

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
People forget the camp mafias that used to be run in EQ1. There would literally be people locking the spawn down 24/7.

Which is why the art of stealth trains was so important ;p

Oh cmon, your trains were never stealthy. Don't try to glorify it!

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider
I think if the game could survive with a decent population, they could bring pvp back. I liked pvp btw, I played on lots of PVP servers, but it can't really exist without the PVE game surviving.

PVP is broken beyond description. It was never really a part of the game and added as an afterthought initially. There has never been any work done to balance PVP in any way.

• 1Like
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 1 users

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider
You left out one of the biggest factors for why the game has turned into such a crap hole now. Krono.

Nah.. Krono doesn't affect gameplay. The game is just fucking old. Its age shows. Hell, working on it was pain, because trying to do anything new or interesting required code that didn't exist, to function with code that was broken, or worse, just couldn't be done. I know Daybreak is making decent money from it still, but at some point they're going to have to take it out back and shoot it.

• 2Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 2 users

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
then eqemu can soar

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider
Oh.. and don't ask what 'players' want. They don't know. They think they know, but they really don't. You can't even ask a class what they want. Because they'll all ask for horribly broken shit. I wish I had some of the bizarre player requests written down still. They were game design comedy gold. The reality is, even if you give them what they want, they'll still be unhappy, and your game will be a giant pile of steaming shit.

• 4Solidarity
  • 2Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 6 users
PVP is broken beyond description. It was never really a part of the game and added as an afterthought initially. There has never been any work done to balance PVP in any way.
It could be tweaked though if they had some money. They would have to remove all the Pay2Win shit though, that is ridiculous.

Oh.. and don't ask what 'players' want. They don't know. They think they know, but they really don't. You can't even ask a class what they want. Because they'll all ask for horribly broken shit. I wish I had some of the bizarre player requests written down still. They were game design comedy gold. The reality is, even if you give them what they want, they'll still be unhappy, and your game will be a giant pile of steaming shit.
They know better than dumbasses like you, SOE, and DB. The results show it very clearly what people want. You only need to know the players basic philosophy of what they want, you don't need them to work out the specifics, that is what a game dev's job is supposed to be....

• 2Picard
  • 1Salty

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
It could be tweaked though if they had some money.
It can never be "tweaked" to make it work. On the Zeks the players made it work, because shit like bind rushing and immy healing was frowned upon and you got shit on by the whole community if you were caught.

There was no other game like EQ back in the day. Today only people trying to relive their "glory days" are playing EQ, and therefore they often behave like total assholes today. They don't need the community around them like back in the day, they can multibox themselves to the shit they couldn't get to back in the day, and if it gets tough and they don't get their way they jump ship to the next best game.

Also, those "glory days" were never glorious. They were shit, because the game design is centered around poopsocking.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick

Cybsled

Oh cmon, your trains were never stealthy. Don't try to glorify it!

Ok, maybe not. Karnor trains were pretty easy to stealth, though, since the zone had the worst mob pathing known to mankind lol. You could aggro a random mob and it would literally run the entire zone and bring all its friends.

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
They know better than dumbasses like you, SOE, and DB. The results show it very clearly what people want. You only need to know the players basic philosophy of what they want, you don't need them to work out the specifics, that is what a game dev's job is supposed to be....

No, they don't. This is multiplied for something like eq tlp which is heavily fueled by rose colored nostalgia.

People say they want long unlocks, and yet we watch server pops dwindle as expansions drag on, and the longest expac unlock servers turn into boxing-proped ghost towns.

People claim they want gm enforcement, but combine's bans resulted in massive pop drops and turned into camp monopoly bullshit, while fippy turned into the most degenerate exploit and poopsock raid scene, and everyone still mocks rf/lj arbitration attempt failures. Meanwhile, everyone saying fuck instancing, but phinny saw dozens of happy raid guilds with 50+ actives each.

And as for class balance that's just fucking retarded. Every video game, class balance suggestions are always "I want my class to be the best at [most important aspect of class role]" and you never ever want to listen to it. I remember the beastlord community rightly upset at the class initially calling for all kinds of bullshit like monk defensiveness, dps parity, just broken desires... they instead got buffs to their buffs including para which made them desirable at solo, group, and raid - very well fixed class - and the tears of this now well balanced new class were overwhelming regardless.

How many tlp monks are saying they want their fist damage nerfed so that weapons are actually useful? Any? I have heard dozens say they want weapons to matter again, but zero say they should do this in any way other than pure buffs to monk damage. Nerf down fists and boost specials to make them more like rogues with backstab? Fuck that, just boost our #1 melee dps till pop damage even more please and thanks.

It can never be "tweaked" to make it work.
Why not?

shit like bind rushing and immy healing was frowned upon and you got shit on by the whole community if you were caught.
That is ridiculously easy to fix...

Also, those "glory days" were never glorious. They were shit, because the game design is centered around poopsocking.
They were glorious for some people. I didn't even try the PVP until about 2002. And I'm not convinced about the "game centered around poopsocking" argument. They design lots of stuff to do, and for it to take a long time, it is up to the players how much time they put into that. I still play sometimes and have a lot of fun, but I rarely put in more than about 10-20 hours a week, and most weeks I don't play at all, but I still do plenty of fun stuff. I'm currently working on epics and doing fun dungeons along the way. It's not the devs fault that a lot of people choose to play 10 hours a day and don't play other games. People like Elidroth will never understand this because he wasn't a good dev, and probably never even met one. That is why he made a clueless thread asking why people play EQ emulator servers.

How could devs even fix that?

People say they want long unlocks, and yet we watch server pops dwindle as expansions drag on,
So what? Maybe people want to get to the end game and then spend some time doing other stuff for a while... When I was hooked no EQ I missed out on lots of amazing games from that time. I didn't play Baldurs Gate 2 until about 2005.

People claim they want gm enforcement, but combine's bans resulted in massive pop drops and turned into camp monopoly bullshit, while fippy turned into the most degenerate exploit and poopsock raid scene, and everyone still mocks rf/lj arbitration attempt failures. Meanwhile, everyone saying fuck instancing, but phinny saw dozens of happy raid guilds with 50+ actives each.
You don't get it. Look at the poll, half the people want instanced raids, half the people don't. People have different opinions and want different things... Why would you think everyone would want the same thing?

And as for class balance that's just fucking retarded. Every video game, class balance suggestions are always "I want my class to be the best at [most important aspect of class role]" and you never ever want to listen to it. I remember the beastlord community rightly upset at the class initially calling for all kinds of bullshit like monk defensiveness, dps parity, just broken desires... they instead got buffs to their buffs including para which made them desirable at solo, group, and raid - very well fixed class - and the tears of this now well balanced new class were overwhelming regardless.
There is no reason class balance can't happen. Vanguard did a brilliant job of it. And in EQ PVP, people don't even care that much about class balance, the issues were mostly not related to classes.

How many tlp monks are saying they want their fist damage nerfed so that weapons are actually useful? Any? I have heard dozens say they want weapons to matter again, but zero say they should do this in any way other than pure buffs to monk damage. Nerf down fists and boost specials to make them more like rogues with backstab? Fuck that, just boost our #1 melee dps till pop damage even more please and thanks.
All this has nothing to do with anything. Any good game dev knows how to take what the players say, and turn it into something that works. No player would have designed a game like Mario where if you miss a jump you die and it's game over. But it was one of the most popular games of all time. The reason is that good devs know best, and good devs can listen to the players and then make it work.

Give me Agnarr with no Krono.

I would play Agnarr if it had some tweaks.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Nah.. Krono doesn't affect gameplay. The game is just fucking old. Its age shows. Hell, working on it was pain, because trying to do anything new or interesting required code that didn't exist, to function with code that was broken, or worse, just couldn't be done. I know Daybreak is making decent money from it still, but at some point they're going to have to take it out back and shoot it.

Yes im sure a system that encourages RMT and allows stay at home welfare types to run box armies to fund that RMT has no effect on the box armies being a rampant nuisance.

• 3Like

yerm

Yes im sure a system that encourages RMT and allows stay at home welfare types to run box armies to fund that RMT has no effect on the box armies being a rampant nuisance.

Combine and Fippy did not have krono. People still tried to monopolize the best spots and there were still boxed armies fucking shit up everywhere on the latter.

The big thing krono did was allow "wealth" to change servers. This was big because a lot of people who DON'T actually RMT will still farm up krono stock, and anyone who quits a server has full incentive to dump their tradeables for krono while before the "trading gear/plat on x for gear/plat on y" was a hassle. Example: on fippy I gave back a bcg before quitting and PAing. Today I might sell it for kronos.

The other impact of krono is they allow near infinite selling potential which causes top items to go ridiculously high. A WDC going for 100k plat? Nobody could pay that. Going for 40kr? That people can do.

Krono really didn't change the game. It's the overabundance of people who all want the best gear and camps. Raiders are no longer the exception to the norm. A decade ago if the best spot was camped people moved along. Now, people want whats good. They wont settle for scraping trash or doing undercons. Shit, people rage over hamlord while live side goes untouched.

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
I dont know. Krono has really exacerbated shitty behavior. You now have people doing things like camping other class' epic mobs to sell the loot rights. I dont recall that ever happening on my old server. You might have had people sell some no drop stuff they lucked into, but it was cheap and usually not intended. Most of the time people gave stuff like that away in zone, you thanked them, and probably returned the favor helping them at some point.

I have done some things on this server I probably would not have on live just because I treat krono farmers as obstacles instead of real legitimate players.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I'm playing on live right now. I have a six-boxing setup.

The idea of playing one box in old content bores the shit out of me. It's like going from speed-chess to tic-tac-toe.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

yerm

I dont know. Krono has really exacerbated shitty behavior. You now have people doing things like camping other class' epic mobs to sell the loot rights. I dont recall that ever happening on my old server. You might have had people sell some no drop stuff they lucked into, but it was cheap and usually not intended. Most of the time people gave stuff like that away in zone, you thanked them, and probably returned the favor helping them at some point.

I have done some things on this server I probably would not have on live just because I treat krono farmers as obstacles instead of real legitimate players.

Selling epic mqs existed way back when. I was rereading the cleric one over the weekend and saw 2002 posts bitching about it. They'd just charge plat.

It's easy to blame kronos, but really, there are just more people (and more percent of people) trying to reach the top than the old days, and every tlp more tricks are secrets are becomming commonplace.

I currently have 3 berg crowns and gimb rings awaiting kunark. The only reason I didn't do this shit on past tlps is I didn't realize its potential until happyfeet did it.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
I don't see my option on the poll. I'd play EQ, but I'd really need it to be in a browser or something, You know, something lightweight that can hide under other windows.

Any way we can get this implemented?

• 2Worf
  • 1Salty
I'm playing on live right now. I have a six-boxing setup.

The idea of playing one box in old content bores the shit out of me. It's like going from speed-chess to tic-tac-toe.
That's what I do. Although I recently gave up on the 6 box because it wasn't as fun as just playing 3 or 4 with a merc. The exp is slow as fuck though either way. This fast exp event at the moment makes it bearable but not sure how long I will last after that ends.