Science!! Fucking magnets, how do they work?

iannis

Musty Nester
tl;dr: Its shoots undetectable microwaves out of its butt. Microwaves are fed into the chamber, they bounce around and some of them pair with their opposites because statistics (and an idea like resonance I assume), the +1/-1 pair escapes as propellant.

The force created is real, but miniscule. They're talking about a force barely stronger than gravity. The theory is falsifiable. The undetecable field could be detected -- through their interference with the newly credible gravitons?

Palum

what Suineg set it to
tl;dr: Its shoots undetectable microwaves out of its butt. Microwaves are fed into the chamber, they bounce around and some of them pair with their opposites because statistics (and an idea like resonance I assume), the +1/-1 pair escapes as propellant.

The force created is real, but miniscule. They're talking about a force barely stronger than gravity. The theory is falsifiable. The undetecable field could be detected -- through their interference with the newly credible gravitons?
I guess maybe I'm confused because what's the point of a cone then? Why not just shoot photons into space?

iannis

Musty Nester
My ignorant guess is that if you leave this up to the natural processes, then you'll have these things shooting out in roughly every direction equally so you won't get any focused thrust.

Edit: And it'll happen a lot less often. And another ignorant assertion -- wouldn't that idea be rejected because it implies an open universe? In a closed system we say that 1 must equal 1. In an open system energy can be gained or lost. It doesn't really solve the problem of conservation of energy so much as it rejects the entire idea. But I dunno. maybe overall energy is conserved. + input - coupling - product = 0. I'm not claiming to really understand it.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
magic undetectable light? Hopefully your understanding is just fueled by retardation, because that shit makes QE look genius.

iannis

Musty Nester
well, you have to read the link.

Two opposite waves couple creating something which can escape the chamber.

That might be overly simplified, but it's what the link says. And it should be detectable, but only indirectly.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Ahh, they claim that the exhaust is photos that cancel each other out. It's a bit silly but not completely retarded, and still fails to address the fact that it requires photos themselves to have mass for it to work, infact it seems to willingly embrace it.

Basically, they believe these photos are emitted from the back with mass, and then immediately get destroyed, cleaning up the evidence. It creates the additional problem of where the fuck that mass is actually going, ect.

They really just need to launch one of these fucking things into space and show if it works, and how well.

Cad

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
Ahh, they claim that the exhaust is photos that cancel each other out. It's a bit silly but not completely retarded, and still fails to address the fact that it requires photos themselves to have mass for it to work, infact it seems to willingly embrace it.

Basically, they believe these photos are emitted from the back with mass, and then immediately get destroyed, cleaning up the evidence. It creates the additional problem of where the fuck that mass is actually going, ect.

They really just need to launch one of these fucking things into space and show if it works, and how well.
Or build one hooked up to about 500MW and let it launch itself... or not.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Or build one hooked up to about 500MW and let it launch itself... or not.
I don't understand the point of this. All potential long distance space engines have horrific twr and are incapable of launching themselves from earth.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Every month that goes by makes the emdrive look like bullshit propagated by bad test setups and worse scientists.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Every month that goes by makes the emdrive look like bullshit propagated by bad test setups and worse scientists.
What? After it's appeared to demonstrate thrust in multiple independent tests in increasingly controlled environments the opposite is true. Granted it still may be just an aberrant reading of other phenomenon, but every month that goes by without a reasonable refutation of the results is another month plenty of people looking to disprove it fail to do so.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I'm not sure how you ascertained this view. All tests have confirmed that the device functions, and some have been done with credible scientists in credible setups. There's almost certainlySOMETHINGhappening that we don't understand, but I agree that a test in space would help clear up a lot of science and potential issues raised about testing environment.

iannis

Musty Nester
I think it's the sort of thing that no one wants to be too professionally excited about, because if it is a bad test environment then it could be a career changer, or ender. But there is something of a street cred prize for being able to disprove it. So far no one has claimed that prize. This makes me feel that every month which passes it is the same amount of credible.

More testing actually is required, and of more varied design, to get an idea of wtf is actually going on. They've said it's heat, but it's not heat. They've said it's gravity. Well, even if it is that itself is a peculiar behavior which bears further investigation. Now someone has said it's coupling.

So far they're saying a whole lot of what it isn't, less of what it is. These aren't retarded laymen. If it was even mildly difficult to explain or disprove, that would be happening. But what is happening is that people are being very cautious and skeptical. Working as intended.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
None of this is a career ender for people if it gets proven to be that the results are because of another factor in the environment that we don't understand. The scientists involved have posed that as a possibility, and it would be a discovery to pin down how and why it was happening.

It's simply science progressing.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
1465139352-20160605.png

I always thought the hard thing to "get" about the Monty Hall problem was that the host would never pick the door with the goat. In this case I think I would evaluate both odds as equal. Thoughts?

iannis

Musty Nester
It's still 66 and 50

You don't switch if you want to hit 1. You do switch if you want to hit 5. Inverting the desired outcome is the joke.jpg

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
That trolly problem is a problem designed to confuse people who are both incredibly terrible at math and reading. The answer is simple, you switch tracks to the house that's revealed if the person is brown, otherwise you continue on gloriously and hope there's brown people in the one you're hitting.

Pinch_sl

shitlord
Not my field so I can't comment on the science of it, but it doesn't bode well when the sources are Popular Science and an Omics journal.