Science!! Fucking magnets, how do they work?

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I grow all my own vegetables. when you commies all die of starvation, I'll be able to eat like a king.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Ineffective at home AND on the internet, must be depressing.
Sad sad little man.
frown.png

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
If you decided to clone it in labs. Most farmers dropped the practice of making seeds because their seeds were usually less productive (because they did reproduce in the wild rather than a lab) after a generation or two, compared to the seed manufacturer's products.

Most productive varieties these days are hybrids anyway, they're naturally sterile. Ask a farmer if he wants a sterile hybrid every year or home-made seeds with 15% less yield per acre, and see what his answer is.
You missed the point of my post. Monsanto is always vilified for going after farmers that use their products without getting them from the company. Also, it isn't the manufacturer's fault they have more competent individuals that allow them to ensure crop seeds they produce are higher yield than actual farmers do.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
You can pretty determine with damn near perfect accuracy what someone's political affiliations/opinions are just by asking them what their views on climate change and GMO's are. If they think climate change is real, but that GMO's are awful, then they're somewhere on the left. If they think climate change isn't real and that GMO's are terrific, then they're on the right. If they think climate change is real and that GMO's are safe, they're probably somewhere in the middle and don't just adopt doctrinaire stances based on their political affiliation. If they think that climate change isn't real and that GMO's are awful, then they're probably retarded.
This is interesting to me because I consider myself pretty solidly to the left (at least on all social issues), while definitely thinking climate change is real and that GMO's are the future. I mean...it's weird as shit for people who are all about science to be on the side of climate change but not on the side of GMO's. Most people I see/hear opposed to GMO's are bible thumpers talking about how God didn't make these mutant GMO's man is trying to introduce.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I have some, and percs and vics also. Just let me know what you need and as a friend I will give you meds that are expiring instead of flushing them down the drain.
How in the fuck do you have a cadre of "meds" just lying around, to the point that they are almost at their expiration date?

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
This is interesting to me because I consider myself pretty solidly to the left (at least on all social issues), while definitely thinking climate change is real and that GMO's are the future. I mean...it's weird as shit for people who are all about science to be on the side of climate change but not on the side of GMO's. Most people I see/hear opposed to GMO's are bible thumpers talking about how God didn't make these mutant GMO's man is trying to introduce.
The sad part is that this entire notion of "GMO" has been happening with crossbreeding and hybridization since gorilla man had a bright idea of planting some seeds in the dirt. Have you ever seen a corn (maize) plant like it originally existed in the wild?

Could not upload because of the shitty size restrictions now.

TIL about Domestication of Fruits and Vegetables - Album on Imgur

Jive Turkey

Karen
You missed the point of my post. Monsanto is always vilified for going after farmers that use their products without getting them from the company. Also, it isn't the manufacturer's fault they have more competent individuals that allow them to ensure crop seeds they produce are higher yield than actual farmers do.
And Monsanto has never gone after a farmer for having some cross contamination of their seed in other farms. They spend money to actively clean it up

Brikker

Trump's Staff
The majority of the crazies I've heard talk about how evil GMO's are got their opinion entirely from the (perceived) actions of Monsanto.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
if human population keeps growing the only way we're going to survive is with GMO crops..

Northerner

N00b
The really funny part is that farmers fucking love Monsanto (and DuPont etc) because they make them more money. Oh, they'll bitch about them just like any corporation bitches about its suppliers but overall there's lots of love there.

I mean, the whole GMO business really just baffles me. The fascination with 'natural' products isn't just contrary to science but simply doesn't make any sense to me at all. Random shit is good, planned shit is bad?

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
With regard to Monsanto "abusing" farmers, if you don't want to agree to their terms, all you have to do is not use their seed. It's not like non-patented seed isn't available and you can do whatever the hell you want with it. Farmers buy fancy seed because it makes them money and it's only fair that the people that developed this tech get paid for their work. Farmers whining about not being able to save seed are just trying to have it both ways and don't deserve any sympathy.

People are so out of touch with agriculture these days they will believe any nonsense that the fear-mongers and the animal rights people feed them. Groups like PETA and HSUS make tons of money off of these rubes as do the "your food is going to kill you" chicken littles. 50 years ago most people at least knew somebody that lived on a farm or grew up on one. Now most people have never even visited a farm or ranch, let alone known a farmer so they are very susceptible to this shit. BTW, talking to the guy with the organic kale at your farmer's market doesn't count. His livelihood depends on you continuing to believe the fear monger nonsense and paying a premium for organic. I don't have anything against organic farmers or the yuppie white people that pay extra for their stuff, I just don't like the fact that they feel the need to demonize the rest of agriculture to sell their bullshit.

Jive Turkey

Karen
I mean, the whole GMO business really just baffles me. The fascination with 'natural' products isn't just contrary to science but simply doesn't make any sense to me at all. Random shit is good, planned shit is bad?
Whenever someone goes on about how much better 'natural' is for you I tell them to eat a handful of arsenic

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
The really funny part is that farmers fucking love Monsanto (and DuPont etc) because they make them more money. Oh, they'll bitch about them just like any corporation bitches about its suppliers but overall there's lots of love there.

I love GMO, but the thing that surprised me about GMO is that there was a lot of genetic improvement done by blasting stuff with radiation to provoke super powered plants like we have now.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I think that's where they add like hydroponics style towers to everything.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I'll admit I only spent about three minutes googling the topic.

Edit -- and another minute just now. They propose to use renewable energy to power the grow lamps. Using solar panels to capture sunlight to convert it to electricity and run it to the lamps that are meant to replace sunlight. Hm.