Science!! Fucking magnets, how do they work?

Oh fuck me.

"...which is a constellation of elementary particles called quarks and gluons, with a lot of empty space..."

3autig.jpg

So, if everything is reducible to always being a quanta, then everything can be given a value, even at the smallest scale, and even if the "quanta" becomes a probability rather than a given, still it either is or is not a quantum, which if the latter, we are dealing with non-existence

I was reading about neutrinos. Got sidetracked.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
The origins of Quantum Mechanics is that values of a number of physical properties are discrete rather than continuous. However, a number of quantum fields (probabilities of X) seem to be continuous rather than discrete; the discrete values seem to appear in the interaction with those fields.

We're still not 100% sure if space itself is quantized or not.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
what if nothing is really quantized, just when certain things interact with each other it produces interference patterns that LOOK like quantization?

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
what if nothing is really quantized, just when certain things interact with each other it produces interference patterns that LOOK like quantization?
Energy states at least are highly quantized. If they weren't, atoms wouldn't even be stable.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Energy states at least are highly quantized. If they weren't, atoms wouldn't even be stable.

yeah even despite my relative lack of physics education past a high school level, i remembered enough about electrons and photons from my high school chemistry class to know that there would have to be some very complex explanation there, but yeah -- questions like that can still be useful thought experiments, and sometimes it takes a person like me with a bit less knowledge to be able to stop seeing the forest for the trees long enough to tell which beliefs are fact and which are dogma.

or maybe it was just a highdea rather than an idea :p ;)

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Obviously, jet medium and interstellar medium are just somehow different. It's just up to some mathemagician to explain away observation with localized wormholes and spacetime disruptions. Throw enough big words in and nobody will check.

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Obviously, jet medium and interstellar medium are just somehow different. It's just up to some mathemagician to explain away observation with localized wormholes and spacetime disruptions. Throw enough big words in and nobody will check.

• 1Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
So they are saying light can move faster than light inside the gamma-ray jet itself?
If you remember high school physics, they probably told you about refractive indices. Water is 1.3333, which means that light travels 1/1.33333 as fast as vacuum while in water. That's how light is distorted when it changes medium, and sticks appear bent when they plunge into water. Light travels at 224,800 km/s in water instead of 299,792.

The problem here appears that light moves across the gas faster than the gas index should allow it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
ETA until 2 beakers to the back of the head for the whole team?

It's an interesting concept. The problem is that in a lot of the nastier, more advanced solid tumor sort of cancers, the tumor itself is pretty heterogeneous, so you have multiple different kinds of cancer cells each with their own properties, so unless all cancerous cells are vulnerable to the exact same kinds of frequencies, you need to calibrate the vibration to each individual cell type. They also only achieved a 24-40% kill rate with this treatment alone, meaning you might be able to use it as a supplemental treatment, but not the main one. Chemo aims for 99.99% in the hope that your immune system can crush the last 0.01%.

It's one of the reasons why CA has a tendency to come back even if you blast it with chemo; the chemo knocks out the lion's share of the tumor, but one little cancer cell somewhere in the tumor has sufficiently fucked up DNA that confers resistance against the chemo and allows it to evade the immune system. And if one cell evades, you have a relapse.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
It's an interesting concept. The problem is that in a lot of the nastier, more advanced solid tumor sort of cancers, the tumor itself is pretty heterogeneous, so you have multiple different kinds of cancer cells each with their own properties, so unless all cancerous cells are vulnerable to the exact same kinds of frequencies, you need to calibrate the vibration to each individual cell type. They also only achieved a 24-40% kill rate with this treatment alone, meaning you might be able to use it as a supplemental treatment, but not the main one. Chemo aims for 99.99% in the hope that your immune system can crush the last 0.01%.

It's one of the reasons why CA has a tendency to come back even if you blast it with chemo; the chemo knocks out the lion's share of the tumor, but one little cancer cell somewhere in the tumor has sufficiently fucked up DNA that confers resistance against the chemo and allows it to evade the immune system. And if one cell evades, you have a relapse.
I'm more interested in other applications with this technology. Actually pinpointing major items like this lends much credence to the theory that our ancestors used sound/vibration to shape things. Also quite curious how this affects Quantum.

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
Speaking of cancer treatment. I'm in the radiation field and the latest up and comer is flash therapy.

"We wondered, what if the treatment was done so fast -- like in a flash photography -- that all the motion is frozen? That's a fundamental solution to this motion problem that gives us the ultimate precision," he said. "If we're able to treat more precisely with less spillage of radiation dose into normal tissues, that gives us the benefit of being able to kill the cancer and cause less collateral damage."

The research team is currently testing the PHASER technology in mice, resulting in an exciting discovery -- the biological response to flash radiotherapy may differ from slower traditional radiotherapy.

"We and a few other labs around the world have started to see that when the radiation is given in a flash, we see equal or better tumor killing but much better normal tissue protection than with the conventional speed of radiation," Loo said. "And if that translates to humans, that's a huge breakthrough."

Personally i have two issues with it. First, our accuracy isn't that bad. We struggle more with target delineation and avoiding nearby stuff. Second, who is going to pay for this. Proton centers will be ok but everyone else will require new machines. Insurances response will likely be ...yeah, i don't think so. We already regularly have issues getting simple stuff approved.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

iannis

Musty Nester
If you remember high school physics, they probably told you about refractive indices. Water is 1.3333, which means that light travels 1/1.33333 as fast as vacuum while in water. That's how light is distorted when it changes medium, and sticks appear bent when they plunge into water. Light travels at 224,800 km/s in water instead of 299,792.

The problem here appears that light moves across the gas faster than the gas index should allow it.
I have a dim memory of an experimental presentation That claimed to show a closed time like loop. A guy set up an apparatus with a laser and a sensor and fiber optic cable and was able to get the sensor to trigger before the emission from the laser.

I've never heard anything more about that, so it might have been discarded as deeply flawed rather than inexplicable or a fancy example of some esoteric theory.

Reminds me of that. Not in that it's probably bullshit, but in that it's an oddity.

• 1Like