Science!! Fucking magnets, how do they work?

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
A closed spacelike path would probably net the guy the Nobel in physics instead of exoplanet discovery.

(for some reason, "time travel" is called spacelike, because that means you can have two parts of the same event occurring at a spatial distance greater than C would normally allow. So, timelike means no time travel, spacelike means time travel. Deal with it)

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>

"In surprise breakthrough, scientists create quantum states in everyday electronics"

Probably should be a way bigger news story

• 1Dislike
  • 1Mic Drop
Reactions: 1 users

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>

"In surprise breakthrough, scientists create quantum states in everyday electronics"

That's Yuuuge.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>

Most misleading title. Pretty much the only way electronics work is due to quantum effects. If you're talking about qubits specifically, put qubits in the title.

• 2Solidarity

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Quantum everything! The next hype now that deep learning hype is dead. Next, quantum deep learning!!!

• 3Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
It's the kind of extraordinary claim still requiring extraordinary evidence. Since it's the same team doing different experiments and getting results, it won't really gain traction until a couple of other labs find similar boson traces.

But if it is confirmed... oh boy. Given the low energy, it shouldn't be a composite boson, which probably means a new elemental field. Or we've found the graviton, and it's not exactly what we expected.

• 2Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I just meant that I was happy to see it on Ars. Yeah, it's just Ars, but the more places that give it credence the quicker we'll solve it and maybe get new science...

I'll just quote the last paragraph of the article, because they were better able to state what I was just about to try to say:

There may also be, I think, a certain amount of unconscious snobbery in the background. The experimental results haven’t come from any of the big labs. And now the big labs are going to be putting planned experiments on hold to see if a result that they won’t get credit for stands up. If they find the boson, then, great, they’ve won plaudits for someone else. But, if that gun doesn’t smoke, there will be a long and painful search for what makes the original experiment different from the rest.

• 1Like

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
You are happy a scientific work is seen on a pop sci blog? That's pretty retarded sir.

• 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1EyeRoll
Reactions: 2 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
You are happy a scientific work is seen on a pop sci blog? That's pretty retarded sir.
I mean, I predicted this response, and I already gave my reply to it in the second sentence of that post. Snobby pointless posts like this are even more retarded, sir, shut up.

• 1Picard
  • 1Truth!

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I mean, I predicted this response, and I already gave my reply to it in the second sentence of that post. Snobby pointless posts like this are even more retarded, sir, shut up.
You think a post on ars about an unreviewed piece of research will give it credence. Only retard here is you.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Pop sci trickles down from actual science, and as a lay man with limited funds I don't have access to the scientific journals where I could go to read about this stuff first hand.

• 1Salty

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
You think a post on ars about an unreviewed piece of research will give it credence. Only retard here is you.

You're the one picking an argument out of boredom on a holiday weekend. I'll do you a favor and just not reply to whatever retarded thing you're going to say next. Have a Merry Christmas.

• 1Picard

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
You're the one picking an argument out of boredom on a holiday weekend. I'll do you a favor and just not reply to whatever retarded thing you're going to say next. Have a Merry Christmas.
There is no argument here. You said something retarded and got called on it. The end and Happy Chanukah.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
And I mean, are you imagining that I thought "oh, good, this is on Ars, now maybe some physicist out there will see this and be inspired to figure this shit out"? Because that's not what I was saying, at all.

• 1Dislike

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I mean, obviously not the end since you felt the need to say more? ;)
There is no argument whether or not what you said was silly. There is certainly an argument to be made whether or not there is no argument but what you said is silly hence the "the end".

And I mean, are you imagining that I thought "oh, good, this is on Ars, now maybe some physicist out there will see this and be inspired to figure this shit out"? Because that's not what I was saying, at all.

You said :
"... The more places that give it credence the quicker we'll solve it and maybe get new science"

And that's very silly. A pop sci blog quoting unreviewed and unreplicated preprit on arxiv does not give a piece of research any credence.

• 1Picard

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Scientists might not be affected by pop sci, but there are countless examples since the fucking Renaissance where public interest in a scientific subject helped push scientific advancements. Perhaps because, tho scientists aren't affected by pop sci, the people that FUND science are? Idk. But you're just being an elitist asshole for the sake of being an elitist asshole, really not sure what you're trying to contribute, so?

• 1Dislike