Science!! Fucking magnets, how do they work?

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
$99 isn't bad if that is with unlimited download. Didn't see it mentioned one way or another tho.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Called the “Better Than Nothing Beta” test, according to multiple screenshots of the email seen by CNBC, initial Starlink service is priced at $99 a month — plus a $499 upfront cost to order the Starlink Kit. That kit includes a user terminal to connect to the satellites, a mounting tripod and a Wi-Fi router. There is also now a Starlink app listed by SpaceX on the Google Play and Apple iOS app stores.

$100 for 50-150Mbps? No thanks. But I guess if you live in bum fuck Egypt, probably better than other satellite options.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
starlink is good for primarily two things:
1. If you're out in BFE
2. If you want minimal latency across large distances

People like me in the suburbs with easy access to broadband have no reason to buy into it. Yet.

• 2Truth!
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Scoresby

Trakanon Raider
starlink is good for primarily two things:
1. If you're out in BFE
2. If you want minimal latency across large distances

People like me in the suburbs with easy access to broadband have no reason to buy into it. Yet.

Yeah, I have been mulling over moving out into BFE Montana (or similar locale) for some time now and internet access has been one main detractor from it. 'Better-than-nothing" naming for this is appropriate, it isn't Gigabit internet, but it would do in a pinch.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I'm already in BFE Montana and signed up for the beta but haven't gotten an invite. If it was reliable I would dump my current Viasat internet and my DirecTV and it would save me over $100 a month and dramatically improve my service. The only thing I would have to figure out is football.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Physicists have 3D-printed a microscopic version of the USS Voyager from Star Trek.
The tiny Intrepid-class spaceship is only five micrometers long, the equivalent to 0.005 millimetres.
It was made by researchers at Leiden University who have been printing a range of microswimmers, which are very small objects which can move through liquids.
The way that these microswimmers pass through liquid is via chemical reactions. The platinum coating on each of the objects react to a hydrogen peroxide solution and the resulting force propels them through the substance.
Some swimmers can be propelled by an external magnetic field, however this is not practical in many applications which require the particles to be autonomous themselves.
13b72f86a3bff2bd75cfec435115c1b5.png

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Is this some 20-years-too-late meta commentary on the stupid shit Janeway would get Voyager into?

• 1Double Worf
  • 1Worf
  • 1Jonesing
Reactions: 3 users

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>

$100 for 50-150Mbps? No thanks. But I guess if you live in bum fuck Egypt, probably better than other satellite options.

100$ for a connection that works anywhere is pretty tempting if you travel a lot or live in a shit service area. I can see how some people wouldn't be impressed, but the potential to have a connection on the ocean or without worrying about what country your in is pretty nice in my eyes.